Wow Classic?

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
So I fully intend on jumping into the nostalgia wave with WoW Classic. There's really nothing new to play out there, so I plan on spending some quality time reliving some really happy memories. Anyone else jumping on the bandwagon? If so, what server are you planning on? Is there enough interest for Test to conquer Azeroth?

WoW Classic releases on 8/26, and only requires a WoW subscription. So it's cheap and right around the corner.

Hybus

Space Marshal
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Hybus
No thanks, I gave up WoW crack last year. Also I have no desire to go back to grind nation. One of my friends was in the discord channel playing in the beta on thursday, and I asked him "is it true to the original?" his response: "Yep, i've killed 15 spiders and only found one spider leg so far"

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I sometimes play WoW on Exodar/Medivh, but only an hour or two a week. It's fun, but I have a medical problem now that prevents me from enjoying the game. My ranking went from being on top players list, to the bottom of a pile of shit overnight. My wife runs the guild, so I get a lot of support from the guild's members, but that doesn't feel right to me.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I finally had the chance and tried the pre-launch event the last two days. Only a couple of hours but man, it was glorious! Started the same char as I did back in 2005 and it was just like that!
I'll be joining the no-lifers train once again, although this time it will yak me even more time together reach anything with the limited play time I get.
I'll b on Bronzebeard EU if it will be available.

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
I think that's the point! lol
That's pretty much it. It's just a nostalgia trip for those that reminisce about the "good old days". I view it as a good way to find some entertainment for a few months while I wait for something actually new. It sounds like fun, so why not?

When it all comes down to it, I would much rather settle in to a new game. There just isn't anything out there. There are quite a few in development, SC included, but nothing currently worth digging into. I've tried them all. I have either played them through and am bored with them, or they were fundamentally broken and not worth the time.

WoW Classic is going to draw a pretty big crowd. That's not a good thing though. It has nothing to do with how good or appealing vanilla wow was. Rather, it has everything to do with the absolutely barren landscape that is the MMO genre. That's why, good or bad, I'll be giving WoW Classic a shot. I'm both exited about jumping into a new game and sad that this is what it has come to.

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
I was in the original beta and been playing the game ever since, I have no intentions of reliving those days again, yes its nice for some but I have a feeling a few weeks in most will come back to BFA even if BFA is pretty shit atm try getting a 40 man raid together and spending 12 hours in one day trying to down 1 or 2 bosses, half of that time is spent replacing people who got tired of waiting for other people lmao.

Don't get me wrong I loved the game when it was new but its not new anymore and it says a lot imo that if people are more excited about reliving the game 15 years down the road then the current stuff isn't doing its job and blizzard should think about that.

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
Don't get me wrong I loved the game when it was new but its not new anymore and it says a lot imo that if people are more excited about reliving the game 15 years down the road then the current stuff isn't doing its job and blizzard should think about that.
Honestly, this should be a wake up call for the entire industry. The current games are so bad that people are willingly jumping into a restarted old game just to find some entertainment. It's sad really. That said, there are a few on the near horizon that show some promise. Pantheon, A:IR, Ashes of Creation, and a few others actually look promising. They might actually turn out to be more than overinflated hype.

For now though, we're stuck with a flood of broken, greedy, flawed, and lazy games. That's all we get. You say blizzard should think about it, but Blizzard isn't Blizzard anymore. It's Activision. All the founding members have bailed because it's not their company anymore. It's just sad, tragic money grabbing. The industry has adopted a model that no longer strives to bring the best game possible for the money. Rather, they push to maximize income with the least amount of effort.

I could go on for hours about the state of affairs in the video game industry, but I won't. I'll cut myself off there and simply state that I am both excited and sad that WoW classic is a thing.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Honestly, this should be a wake up call for the entire industry. The current games are so bad that people are willingly jumping into a restarted old game just to find some entertainment. It's sad really. That said, there are a few on the near horizon that show some promise. Pantheon, A:IR, Ashes of Creation, and a few others actually look promising. They might actually turn out to be more than overinflated hype.

For now though, we're stuck with a flood of broken, greedy, flawed, and lazy games. That's all we get. You say blizzard should think about it, but Blizzard isn't Blizzard anymore. It's Activision. All the founding members have bailed because it's not their company anymore. It's just sad, tragic money grabbing. The industry has adopted a model that no longer strives to bring the best game possible for the money. Rather, they push to maximize income with the least amount of effort.

I could go on for hours about the state of affairs in the video game industry, but I won't. I'll cut myself off there and simply state that I am both excited and sad that WoW classic is a thing.
Back when development on SC was starting to ramp up, I remember watching the shows they put out and a lot of thlol introduced new devs who just escaped from Actiblizz , or at least used to work at Blizz at some point.
So, yeah, it's definitely not the Blizz it used to be, and it's Chris's fault!! 😂😂😂

On a more serious note, it is a rather sad state of things that gamers have to resort to playing 15 year old game cos most of the new shiny stuff is just trashy cash grabs. I was really awaiting the new doom, but looking at what Bethesda put out through the last year with F76 and now Youngblood, I'm starting to get worried.

As for nothing coming out that's worth it, give a look to Rebel Galaxy Outlaw. Seems like it's gonna be a Freelancer style game, it's out in a week or two, maybe you'll like it!
Also if you just wanna try a few good games from not so long ago, the Xbox for Windows subscription is pretty cheap and worth it imho. Just don't forget to cancel it when your done.

Reactions: Bambooza

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
Not to mention what happened to Xbox and Microsoft? I mean they had dozens of exclusive games scheduled for release and almost all of them went poof and dropped development 1 year or 2 years in. I love my Xbox and the online service to me is far better than Sony but geez Sony is killing them with exclusive games right now.

Jangmo

Grand Admiral
Donor
Apr 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Jangmo
I was initially hyped for Classic.. however im much more on the fence now after seeing all the beta testing streams, and realizing I dont have the time to actually do anything cool.. Weekends only, or an hr or two a night make me feel like it wouldn't be worth it for myself

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
I was initially hyped for Classic.. however im much more on the fence now after seeing all the beta testing streams, and realizing I dont have the time to actually do anything cool.. Weekends only, or an hr or two a night make me feel like it wouldn't be worth it for myself
Its definitely a grind, I remember back in the day it was a lot of fun but I also had a lot more time back then lmao, not so much anymore!

Jangmo

Grand Admiral
Donor
Apr 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Jangmo
Its definitely a grind, I remember back in the day it was a lot of fun but I also had a lot more time back then lmao, not so much anymore!
Yeah I played classic on serious binges... loved it.. fast forward 10 years however, and im not sure I can do it.. I was bad about buying Character Boosts in recent expansions to skip the grind and just play the end game

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Ppl who aim for endgame only, are going to be disappointed with the amount of time and effort they need to get to that point after playing modern wow. I bet lots of them will drop off after it takes them days of gametime just to get to level 20-30...
Especially for those that started late, as in after Cata, it will be a huge pain, and I highly doubt they will have the patience and commitment that's required.
I don't have the time I had back then either, max 1-2 hours every two days or so now, but after playing the beta I still wanna do it, cos I love the journey, not just the destination.

The leveling is so different, and so much more deep in classic then it is in bfa.
In bfa I did use my lvl up tokens cos I couldn't be bothered to level through the same boring story again and again, as everything is so oversimplified that it's just pure boredom. With every class and race being equally balanced, with soloable elites, with no wrong choices in basically meaningless talents, and with any armor and weapon drop being equally good and thus meaningless, the leveling itself became meaningless. The only challenge is at the top content now, if you do mythic stuff, everything else is just a Cookie clicker with some reading involved if you care about the bland story.
In classic, every level matters. Every talent point matters, and you can mess up your talents the way you want to. Yes, I did mess it up big time first time around. By the time I was lvl 50, I had almost no points in retribution, and was doing sword and board with my dwarf paladin! Almost the most useless paladin ever, but I loved every minute of it! I could play whatever I wanted in 5man dungeons, cos I had points in everything! Not very well ofc, but it worked, no one complained when I healed them while dpsing and then tanked the adds off the mage...
Classic had this kind of freedom where you could make your character truly yours, something that modern wow sorely lacks with its "optimized" talents/armor/leveling.

Reactions: Phil and Bambooza

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
So far I have a group of 2 TESTies for my WOW Classic group.

This is a casual group, playing west coast time in the middle of the day (roughly in the 12-3 PM PST time slot).

We will NOT be raiding. We will NOT be giving any Fs at all. We'll just be questing as a group and mainly focusing on dungeons when we get to the appropriate level. Lots of dungeon running because dungeons are fun, and it's especially fun to jump in too early, have a hell of a time with a really great group, then progress through it as we get gear until it's easy and we level our way up to the next dungeon.

We have a healer and a melee DPS. We could use a tank and 2 more DPS if there is anyone else who wants to play in this time slot along these terms.

Whatever you do, Classic or not Classic, chill group or not chill group, have fun out there!

:o7:

Forgot your password?