Wth did I just watch?

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD

300 rounds, cocking trouble begins
700 rounds, open flame, "that's a bit scary," handguard falls off "Oh that's a shame"
900 rounds and the barrel develops a case of impotency
1100 rounds, running out of magazines

Just... damn. I wonder what would've happened if they used larger capacity mags though, all that reloading time let it cool off quite a bit. Well, those drum mags can be quite a bit more expensive though. Then again, doesn't seem like they were tight on money.

Aunfox

Space Marshal
Feb 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Aunf0x
Is this how Test Squadron tests all weapons systems now? I feel compelled to test all small arms in this matter in-game. This is the only way to verify wear and tear is operational.

Thank you for sharing this!

Reactions: Vavrik and FZD

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
This is a badass video! One thing that amazes me the most is how that dude took the kick of 1200 rounds of 7.62 to the shoulder in under 9 minutes. Ive fired an ak-47 full auto, it kicks hard and it took all my upper strength to keep that barrel from riding up on me.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
This is a badass video! One thing that amazes me the most is how that dude took the kick of 1200 rounds of 7.62 to the shoulder in under 9 minutes. Ive fired an ak-47 full auto, it kicks hard and it took all my upper strength to keep that barrel from riding up on me.
Yeah, I think that 6B23-1 helped to pad it a bit, though you're right it's still quite impressive. And he did switch to more of an armpit position a few times, guess his shoulder was really feeling that recoil. I'm actually more impressed by the way he manages to keep cocking the gun, those metals with enough heat expansion that the barrel is bending, it can't have been easy. And he did that, what, 30 times after the cocking trouble began...

The flaming forend is a feature, not a bug. When the zombie hordes are not deterred by the bullets, open flames give them pause.
Lmao, yeah. It's also useful when you need to start a campfire.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Wow, that's an endurance test....
Is nice to see how russian considering handling an overheated gun firing 7.72 while it's on flame just "a bit scary"... I guss that's is dayly thing in Russia.

I've to say that I'm impessed by the durability: other then a coking problem, probably coused by the grim accumulating in the bolt, there ware no malfuncion (ok, let's not considering the flaming hand guard....), I'll expect some out of battery fire do to the red glowing barrel or some cartage stuck in there, but itt doesnt seams anything of that happened.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I'll expect some out of battery fire do to the red glowing barrel or some cartage stuck in there, but itt doesnt seams anything of that happened
I'm sure if he had a glowing barrel, inserted a fresh mag and walked away, he would have cooked off some rounds. Instead he was quick enough they didn't go, which is good for him. That plastic face shield would not have been sufficient had one or more gone boom in the mag. Not an especially clever thing to do, and no "don't try this at home folks!" warning.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I'm sure if he had a glowing barrel, inserted a fresh mag and walked away, he would have cooked off some rounds. Instead he was quick enough they didn't go, which is good for him. That plastic face shield would not have been sufficient had one or more gone boom in the mag. Not an especially clever thing to do, and no "don't try this at home folks!" warning.
Since in this part of the world the concept of taking responsibility for your own actions isn't considered fascist or racist yet, we don't really need warnings like that.
Last I heard from the U.S., you had to be a millionaire to afford this much ammo since mid/end of last year, so not much chance of it happening anyways.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Hmm, I was curious, so I tried to figure out how hot the barrel got and what it'd need to be for the ammo to go off.
Seems to me that roughly where the handguard was is the bit that got the hottest at around 900-1000 rounds, and that bit got to maybe 1050F/560C judging by its color. Not the most accurate way of measuring, I know, but don't see a better method.
Now, it seems like the parts that are connected to larger amounts of metal heat up slower or are cooled down quicker, so it's just that one bit that's only in contact with air that gets real hot, the rest seem to stay relatively cool and I mean, sure, some of the barrel is kind of just hidden behind other stuff but judging by how quickly the part that's visible changes color back to black, I'm not entirely convinced that even the chambered round would just go off. Let alone the ones in the magazine.

WouldTheAmmoGoOff.png

Well, having made a dumb picture I now realize that I was thinking of the gunpowder going off, which requires 800F/430C, but the primer could actually go off at much lower temps at 320F/160C. The primer is 1.5 inch / 39mm further away though. Idk, that heat is going to dissipate like crazy fast though when the gun isn't fired, it even went way down the moment the guy slowed down sometime after 1000 rounds.

I mean, I wouldn't be too surprised if the one in the chamber went off, but there is no way the ones in the magazine would. The one in the chamber going off would of course chamber the next one, and that might still go off after a while, but even then I don't see it firing more than one or two on its own.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Since in this part of the world the concept of taking responsibility for your own actions isn't considered fascist or racist yet, we don't really need warnings like that.
Last I heard from the U.S., you had to be a millionaire to afford this much ammo since mid/end of last year, so not much chance of it happening anyways.
Those concepts took over here in like one generation so watch yourself.
I spent 6 months working in Moscow and Ufa once. I have some funny stories from then: mostly me not understanding the cultural differences. I mean I knew about them, I just didn't understand as much as I initially thought. I remember one restaurant in particular was very European for the most part. The lamb and pork dishes were incredible, the beef... not so much. Every day I'd order something different, until finally I got to the last menu item.
"Traditional Russian food" they called it in English, but it had a Russian description that was at least a paragraph long. I asked for a translation... waiter came and stared at it for a few minutes then looked at me and proudly said, "Tradeetional Russian Food". OK I thought, I'll try it. It was Goulash. I decided not to mention Hungary.

marctek

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 7, 2015
RSI Handle
Marctek
I did small arms repair 20 or so years ago. Stuff like this is fun to watch but I would never push that weapon that hard, its just not built to be fired like that. I've seen a couple M2 50 cals with bent barrels because some idiot didn't switch out the barrel when they should have on the range. Supporting a live range you could always tell when someone was coming to see you because they messed up their barrel that way. You see guys jump up and a range safety go running.

Forgot your password?