Yela Jumptown/Drug lab coordinates (and other stuff)

Vahl K. Rii

Admiral
Donor
Jun 5, 2018
RSI Handle
VKR-13
Salutations Everyone!

With the dynamic movement of the Orbital Markers with 3.3 and jumptowns now rather more complex tracking, a triangulation map as been made. (Link is directly below.)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-j39VMqUFU-gNaPGd7agLOFPftQv652vX92S8TKkIEE

The way the triangulation map works is by using a list of reference locations and selecting three (or more) of them to create a triangle to narrow down and pinpoint a location within or near their location. GPS satellites are very famous for using this strategy to find your location and though they are much faster at it; we can use the same technique to locate hard to find locations when our other means fail us.

I'll start populating with other plantetside (and maybe orbital) points of interest including wrecks, hidden outposts, mining deposits and easter eggs.

Just comment below with the main celestial, location name and coordinates list and I'll plot it into the database. Any feedback is warmly welcome and I will try to keep this as up-to-date as I possibly can.

o7
--- VKR-13

Last edited:

Vahl K. Rii

Admiral
Donor
Jun 5, 2018
RSI Handle
VKR-13
Are the referenced locations used in dead reckoning static or do they move with the orbits?
Yes! Grim HEX was suspected to be dynamic, along with the OM quantum points, but after several confirmed reviews on its distance from multiple locations; specifically, the lack of change that occured, I can comfortably say that all land-based reference points - and with Yela specifically; Grim HEX - are static.

I will see if the polar OM markers are static as well, if they turn out to be (debatable since they seem to be tidally locked with the star) I will add them to help aid navigation. Informally, Jumptown sits between OM-2 and Yela's rings. But I hesitate to add an exact number in the case that it isn't alligned with the rotational poles of the planet and drifts in and out of sync over the duration of day-cycle.

As the range of tracked objects expands, I'll also check Kareah (spelling?*) and Covalex to see if they are also static and add them to their respective parent body if true.

If Grim becomes dynamic in the future like OM points have, I will remove it promptly.

Timbur

Captain
Aug 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Timbur
This is great, I'd love to contribute. Alternatively, what if we had a simple visual map for slower learners like myself that just use landmarks as a reference?

Reactions: Scape and Deroth

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Yes! Grim HEX was suspected to be dynamic, along with the OM quantum points, but after several confirmed reviews on its distance from multiple locations; specifically, the lack of change that occured, I can comfortably say that all land-based reference points - and with Yela specifically; Grim HEX - are static.

I will see if the polar OM markers are static as well, if they turn out to be (debatable since they seem to be tidally locked with the star) I will add them to help aid navigation. Informally, Jumptown sits between OM-2 and Yela's rings. But I hesitate to add an exact number in the case that it isn't alligned with the rotational poles of the planet and drifts in and out of sync over the duration of day-cycle.

As the range of tracked objects expands, I'll also check Kareah (spelling?*) and Covalex to see if they are also static and add them to their respective parent body if true.

If Grim becomes dynamic in the future like OM points have, I will remove it promptly.
I don't think the polar OM's are static/locked. I jumped to Jumptown, went back to Grim, went to Jump again using my OM references from the first jump, and Yela had definitely shifted...this was in one of the earlier 3.3.5 patches.

Reactions: Scape

ShakyWater

Vice Admiral
Jan 4, 2017
RSI Handle
shakywater
This is great, I'd love to contribute. Alternatively, what if we had a simple visual map for slower learners like myself that just use landmarks as a reference?
That's how I do it too. Jumptown is in the crater next to the mountain.

Kaiserz

Commander
Oct 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Kaiserz
Salutations Everyone!

With the dynamic movement of the Orbital Markers with 3.3 and jumptowns now rather more complex tracking, a triangulation map as been made. (Link is directly below.)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-j39VMqUFU-gNaPGd7agLOFPftQv652vX92S8TKkIEE

The way the triangulation map works is by using a list of reference locations and selecting three (or more) of them to create a triangle to narrow down and pinpoint a location within or near their location. GPS satellites are very famous for using this strategy to find your location and though they are much faster at it; we can use the same technique to locate hard to find locations when our other means fail us.

I'll start populating with other plantetside (and maybe orbital) points of interest including wrecks, hidden outposts, mining deposits and easter eggs.

Just comment below with the main celestial, location name and coordinates list and I'll plot it into the database. Any feedback is warmly welcome and I will try to keep this as up-to-date as I possibly can.

o7
--- VKR-13
Great way to get to jump town...

Vahl K. Rii

Admiral
Donor
Jun 5, 2018
RSI Handle
VKR-13
This would definitely be an interesting idea; the only issue would be getting enough reference points during the different angles of sunlight for all locations (especially since Jumptown will not be the only option up on here.)

That technique is used by a lot of people though so I'll definitely consider making an album just for jumptown.

Bruce

Grand Admiral
May 23, 2017
RSI Handle
ABAP
That technique is used by a lot of people though so I'll definitely consider making an album just for jumptown.
Nice approach, the only drawback is - one can't really fly at ground level .. so I would recommend to create similar sets of coordinates for 1km, 2km, 5km, 10km , 20km, 30km above the lab (this way someone could figure out what shall be distances relatively close to his current elevation )

Reactions: Vahl K. Rii

Vahl K. Rii

Admiral
Donor
Jun 5, 2018
RSI Handle
VKR-13
Nice approach, the only drawback is - one can't really fly at ground level .. so I would recommend to create similar sets of coordinates for 1km, 2km, 5km, 10km , 20km, 30km above the lab (this way someone could figure out what shall be distances relatively close to his current elevation )
That should be really easy to do; I should be able to use the current values to make a formula to calculate the distance dynamically based on height of the sphere; it'll take me some time to work out the topology though.

Balcanis

Lieutenant
Jan 18, 2018
RSI Handle
Balcanis
I agree with this. I thought the same actually. I'm going to try and do it later tonight.

Bruce

Grand Admiral
May 23, 2017
RSI Handle
ABAP
That should be really easy to do; I should be able to use the current values to make a formula to calculate the distance dynamically based on height of the sphere; it'll take me some time to work out the topology though.
You are going under assumption that geometry is real ... I would rather assume it is not real, and we shall be interested in "what is displayed in game" rather than in "what should be displayed in case of "real" geometry :)

Vahl K. Rii

Admiral
Donor
Jun 5, 2018
RSI Handle
VKR-13
You are going under assumption that geometry is real ... I would rather assume it is not real, and we shall be interested in "what is displayed in game" rather than in "what should be displayed in case of "real" geometry :slight_smile:
All you need to do is find the distance from the center of the planet in respect to the 7 (8 if you include Grim, which at this point; I may as well.) and use them to create an array of virtual triangles. After that, you apply some trigonometry and you can deliberate practically accurate numbers for use of travel. That said, collecting said data would take a bit of travel time on my part; but that is part of the job. :D

On the counter-side, what is displayed in-game quite literally a geometric equation; trying to make the argument that it is not real makes it sound like the distances are not linear. We both know that's far from the case.

Bruce

Grand Admiral
May 23, 2017
RSI Handle
ABAP
On the counter-side, what is displayed in-game quite literally a geometric equation
I honestly don't know - one assumption is as good as another assumption in this case .. my point was rather about the idea that getting actual readings eliminates the need of assumption ) .. also I hope there is no need for much flying ... one would just need to visit lab and get vertically up taking measures at specific height points )

Vahl K. Rii

Admiral
Donor
Jun 5, 2018
RSI Handle
VKR-13
one assumption is as good as another assumption in this case
It's the same assumption that we can trust the distance numbers we see at Jumptown, if the geometry was unstable; all numbers used in the trig' set would be dynamic and completely unreliable. Currently, the OM sets are now dynamic and can be actively seen moving at about 200-500m/s counter-clockwise, assuming OM-2 is used as north. So in that regard I would trust those numbers with my life and in fact if I were bold enough (and had the time I wish I had) I could probably make an active GPS compass to tell you which direction to go, regardless of altitude. It would probably start to break down at distances approaching Delamar (or Hurston) but within the Yela system, I heavily reckon it could give you distance and degrees offset based on an anchor point.

also I hope there is no need for much flying
You do have a good point, and not just about flying. While the formulae and functions for trig are relatively straight forward, trying to get the spreadsheet to process that information appropriately would be a nightmare and would end up eating too much into my currently less than ideal sleep schedule (a lack, thereof). So I'll take you merciful offering of sanity and promptly use that time to sleep.

Forgot your password?