Yet Another Loadout Question (The Cutlass This Time)

The Razgriz

Vice Admiral
Jul 24, 2016
RSI Handle
The-Razgriz
Hey guys(and gals)! After careful consideration(and a healthy dose of daytime drinking) I came to the conclusion that my Freelancer DUR is in fact a Cutlass Black, plus some credits. So now I have to figure out a decent loadout to use that doesn't involve those distortion cannons. I've tried loading up a set of 3 "Sawbucks" and they work, but ammo capacity is a problem. Also, the gimbals they were mounted on didn't seem to understand the concept behind gimbaled weapons. No matter where I aimed, they shot straight ahead. And has anybody tried mounting GT-220s on the turret? I know that they'll fit, they just look a little odd up there, but if they're effective I can live with the way it looks.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Hmmmmm, I'm a HOTAS user, so I don't like gimbals, I aim with my ship. The Cutlass is a little sluggish, although better manoeuvrable then the Freelancer. Slower turn, no gimbals, repeaters is what I use, not the best but it fits my style of flight. The sluggish turns prevent a precise aim, so throw in allot fire :D
I put 2 Panthers on the side and one on the nose. The one on the nose could be replaced with a S3 gatling gun, but it is way better in using heavy guns an approach then nimble dogfighting, always keep her on the move because she is a big target. I kinda like the 3 panthers, start with the nose gun from medium firing range and add the 2 side Panthers when the target gets bigger.
No NPC survives that strafe. I'm afraid that the Cutlass won't do so good against nimble players, but that isn't her role.

Don't forget not to use your boost / afterburner when aiming and strafing!!!! In a staight line they will do fine, when aiming they destroy your aim. Strafe doesn't destroy your aim.

The Razgriz

Vice Admiral
Jul 24, 2016
RSI Handle
The-Razgriz
I will definitely have to look into the Panthers. It'll solve the issue of ammo, and I believe that they're size 3 (correct me if I'm wrong) and that way I can just forget about the gimbals altogether. I tried to go up against a couple human player with the Sawbucks and the only way I actually beat them was just to keep ramming them, as is the TEST way. Lost both front wings and my ship was mostly crippled, but I survived.... Then the pizza dude arrived and I stepped away for 2 minutes and apparently my in game counterpart decided to attempt to snort Port Olisar.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
CF-007 Bulldog S1, overheats too fast, take the M3A instead, it never overheats
CF-117 Badger S2, Takes a long time to overheat
CF-227 Panther S3, they overheat faster then the Badger but slower then the Bulldog, usually 4 of them mounted on the Sabre

Phantomoftruth

Space Marshal
Feb 14, 2016
RSI Handle
PhantomofTruth
I've not used the turret on my Cutlass. I mounted two Panther with an Omni VI between.

Panthers bought with REC still work in PU? Will the Cutlass FlashFire mount? it's just the REC Ships that are AC only? i'd say i'm asking for a friend but that's a total lie and am kind of having the hots for quad Panther Cutlass.

Last edited:

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2

Peace88

Space Marshal
May 6, 2016
RSI Handle
Zen_Jharis
I don't run Arena Commander so I don't know what the current meta is, but in PU I run 2 badgers and a plasma scatter gun on the nose. never had a problem in my Cutlass:D

Reactions: marcsand2

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
I don't run Arena Commander so I don't know what the current meta is, but in PU I run 2 badgers and a plasma scatter gun on the nose. never had a problem in my Cutlass:D
Yeap, the rented guns work fine, only sad that also the CUTLASS FLASHFIRE SPECIALTY MOUNT doesn't work when flying alone. Can the turret of the Cutlass be used when flying with 2 guys? I never tried that because I don't have a gunner :(

Forgot your password?