MrBambooza
Wait a minute... Lets see...

To the tune of Dom McLeans American Pie

[INTRO]

A long, long time ago
I can still remember, how patch 2.5 used to make me smile
And I knew if I had my shot
I could pledge on those ships a lot
And maybe haters'd be quiet for a while.

But they never stopped their shouting
With every release they would be doubting
Bad news bears on Spectrum
Talking out their rectum

I don't know if I will sing
When I read about Beta and we'll finally win
But that will be the final thing
The day the butt hurt dies

[CHORUS]

So Bye Bye Mrs Avacado,
Took my Argo for the cargo
But the profit was low.
And concept ships lined 'em up to buy,
Singin' this'll be the day that I fly
This'll be the day that I fly!

['VERSE 1]

Did you write the book of Lore
And do you have faith in the Pledge Store
If the backers tell you so?
Now do you believe in Chris Roberts?
Can the next patch stop all the butt hurts?
And will you wear your 2mil backer shirts?

Well, I know that you're dedicated guy
'Cause your Super Hornets in the sky
You've made all of your pledges
And the game comes out in wedges

Now the press stirs up all sorts of muck
But I don't really give a flying fuck
As I know that they'll be out of luck

[CHORUS]

I started singing, Bye Bye Mrs Avacado,
But the profit was low.

So close to greatness still not sure Mrs Avacado works either.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
So close to greatness still not sure Mrs Avacado works either.
I know what you mean...

I think it needs a single syllable word after "Avacado" like American has "Pie"...?

Tealwraith

Heresy detector
Donor
May 31, 2017
RSI Handle
Tealwraith
I would say its going to be a little rough this time around. The quarter release concept is very good, it gives us a good sense of progress. But CIG needs to find their legs, so they can estimate what they can deliver better. Right now, it looks at 2/3rds of the way though the quarter, like they're under half completed. That doesn't mean that there has been no work done on the incomplete tasks, they could finish it all tomorrow... but it LOOKS like they may miss a few more things this time around.

What I would hope is that they say so, as soon as they know. Software development is like that, you really can't give a 100% confidence estimate. The trick is, communicate early.
I'm looking at the ships and the new ones aren't even half done and 3.2 is supposed to be out at the end of the month? I've got a bad feeling about this...

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I'm looking at the ships and the new ones aren't even half done and 3.2 is supposed to be out at the end of the month? I've got a bad feeling about this...
Pretty much what i was looking at, along with game play tasks.
They need to be up front about what is not going to be ready. That would take a lot of the heat off.
Also, they apparently just assigned a bunch of developers to 3.2 tasks. I think that was a comment in one of the recent videos.

Who knows though, some of those tasks might take an hour to complete. And also they took 8 weeks to stablize 3.1, so if they continue the same way that'll work too. I just think they've bitten off more than they can chew, but they'll get better at this.

hardroc77

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 27, 2015
RSI Handle
hardroc77
Wait a minute... Lets see...

To the tune of Dom McLeans American Pie

[INTRO]

A long, long time ago
I can still remember, how patch 2.5 used to make me smile
And I knew if I had my shot
I could pledge on those ships a lot
And maybe haters'd be quiet for a while.

But they never stopped their shouting
With every release they would be doubting
Bad news bears on Spectrum
Talking out their rectum

I don't know if I will sing
When I read about Beta and we'll finally win
But that will be the final thing

[CHORUS]

So Bye Bye Mrs Avacado,
But the profit was low.

['VERSE 1]

Did you write the book of Lore
And do you have faith in the Pledge Store
If the backers tell you so?
Now do you believe in Chris Roberts?
Can the next patch stop all the butt hurts?
And will you wear your 2mil backer shirts?

Well, I know that you're dedicated guy
'Cause your Super Hornets in the sky
You've made all of your pledges
And the game comes out in wedges

Now the press stirs up all sorts of muck
But I don't really give a flying fuck
As I know that they'll be out of luck

[CHORUS]

I started singing, Bye Bye Mrs Avacado,
But the profit was low.
Well I be damn! You did it
Must have faith, my son.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
It is a bit worrying that there is SO much to do and so little time before the end of the month.

At lease one good thing is the Turret Improvements / Turret Slaving to pilot are at 100% so hopefully will make ships with turrets less completely useless!

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
It is a bit worrying that there is SO much to do and so little time before the end of the month.

At lease one good thing is the Turret Improvements / Turret Slaving to pilot are at 100% so hopefully will make ships with turrets less completely useless!
I think this is the miss communications from CIG. It looks like a lot but those tasks could be simple or they could have 99% of the sub tasks done and are just waiting on final approval before marked complete and because other things are being slammed out hasn't had anyone go back and review. Or as we have seen in the past a developer simply hasn't gone back and marked the task complete yet even though its been done.

What we do know is that 3.2 is now feature locked and branched.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
@CrudeSasquatch ... you seem to have something affecting your eye. There's a cure for that. Close your eyes tight, hold your breath and chug a pint of Moosehead*. If that doesn't work, chug another. Repeat until your eye stops doing that.

* Anything but a President's Choice Beer can work. Actually PC beer might work too but it'd only be a dam cheap imitation of working.

FeaturedSpace

Commander
Jun 5, 2018
RSI Handle
FeaturedSpace
What in the world has CIG been doing "stabilizing 3.1"? There's got to be more of a balance between devs working on the current patch and ones working on the future... The ships thing does make sense though, seeing as CIG only employees about 15, maybe 20 people to make ships..

Reactions: Blind Owl

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
What in the world has CIG been doing "stabilizing 3.1"? There's got to be more of a balance between devs working on the current patch and ones working on the future... The ships thing does make sense though, seeing as CIG only employees about 15, maybe 20 people to make ships..
Too many people were pissed off when 3.1 launched and crashed a trillion times on day one. I think it has been observed that having a playable alpha experience is more likely to entice people in to pledge and keep development going than one that doesn't work very well...

We are in an interesting place as far as game development goes, it's arguable we are still in pre-alpha and we have access to the game to play as it has been built to this moment... we are in new territory, this hasn't really been done like this before so its hard to know what the right balance is between forging ahead in the name of progress and giving the backers a pleasant development experience...

One thing we do know: Whatever CIG does, someone is going to say it was the wrong thing to do. ;)

Last edited:

FeaturedSpace

Commander
Jun 5, 2018
RSI Handle
FeaturedSpace
Too many people were pissed off when 3.1 launched and crashed a trillion times on say one. I think it has been observed that having a playable alpha experience is more likely to entice people in to pledge and keep development going than one that doesn't work very well...

We are in an interesting place as far as game development goes, it's arguable we are still in pre-alpha and we have access to the game to play as it has been built to this moment... we are in new territory, this hasn't really been done like this before so its hard to know what the right balance is between forging ahead in the name of progress and giving the backers a pleasant development experience...

One thing we do know: Whatever CIG does, someone is going to say it was the wrong thing to do. ;)
This is very true. I'm simply concerned. Have you seen all the things they're promising in 3.3?? There's NO WAY, and mark my words here because I'm predicting the future. There's NO WAY that CIG will release 3.3 before The beginning of November....

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
This is very true. I'm simply concerned. Have you seen all the things they're promising in 3.3?? There's NO WAY, and mark my words here because I'm predicting the future. There's NO WAY that CIG will release 3.3 before The beginning of November....
rather than moving the date back, CIG will leave out features that aren't ready for prime time

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
But then people may be upset about instability or continued setbacks on items...
There is the biggest set of caveats and disclaimers on the RoadMap page itself, makes it pretty clear not to get your hopes up or take the roadmap as gospel - If people don't read or choose to ignore this set of advice thats their issue, not mine. I'm cool with the below. :slight_smile:

"Roadmap: Caveats
Quality will always be our number one goal.

When we initially set out on this journey we looked out at the gaming landscape and asked: can we do better? We continue to ask that question about everything we do. As a result, we will ALWAYS extend timelines or re-do features and content if we do not feel they are up to our standards. The freedom to fight for a new level of quality in game development is what crowd funding has allowed us to do, and we will continue to fight to make sure Star Citizen and Squadron 42 are the best possible games they can be.

This roadmap focuses on big features, but is not fully exhaustive.
There are a lot of behind-the-scenes work and smaller tasks that will be happening as well as on-going improvements to existing features. This is also not intended to be a final list, there will potentially be additional features added down the line and features may shift in their projected release.

The roadmap data is pulled directly from the internal project management database.
In the spirit of transparency, the data found on this page is pulled directly from JIRA, our internal database that we are using to plan and manage the project. Feature progress and release plans will be updated here in an automated fashion, once per week.

Future work estimates are just that: estimates.
All estimates are based on our knowledge and experience but there are many aspects of game development that are impossible to predict because they literally cover uncharted territory. You will see the same estimates we use in our internal planning, but it is important to understand that in many cases (especially with groundbreaking engineering tasks) these estimates are often subject to change due to unforeseen complexity in implementing features.

Internal schedules, the ones you will now be privy to, tend to have aggressive dates.
This helps to help the team focus and scope their tasks, especially in the case of tech development. Every team needs target dates, so you may see dates adjust when we get more accurate information and understanding of what’s needed to be completed.

The polish phase is always hard to estimate, increasingly so in online and multiplayer situations.
The complexity and the difficulty in testing at a large scale make it harder to reproduce and isolate bugs to fix them. We base our estimates, again, on our experience, but we also know that it’s possible for a single bug to cause a delay of days or weeks when a hundred others might be fixed instantly.

This roadmap doesn’t cover everything being worked on across Cloud Imperium Games.
The roadmap is meant to highlight our aims for the remainder of the year on the Persistent Universe. Although technology is shared between the two games, this does not currently reflect the Squadron 42 roadmap.

Terminology
The status of each Feature in the roadmap indicates where it is in the development process. Here is a handy list of terms used on each card and their meaning.

Scheduled The feature is planned but not in development.
In Development The feature is being actively developed.
Polish Work is complete and undergoing playtests and QA.
Completed The feature is considered complete.
Released The feature is shipped as part of a public release."

Reactions: Blind Owl
Forgot your password?