Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
My local library is closed for the foreseeable future, didn't think to stock up. I've got a bunch of books but who knows if its enough :(
Get Amazon Prime. You get 10 digital books "on lone" you can download to your computer, tablet or cell phone. When you finish one, you can replace it. Barns and Noble are doing something similar, but I haven't used them for a few years now. They never seem to have the books I want.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
My company has close ties to others in our industry. All the others are working remote, and at least one is mandatory remote. Our new CEO has been big into work/life balance (hey you only gave us 50 out of 168 hours in a week, how about some balance), so we invested heavily into working remote as most do at least one day a week, so we've pretty much gotten to the point that our engineers and our admins can do all their work remotely. That has been a huge godsend for us, because we can now send our staff home and let them work. Even when they let us come back, they have said that if someone in your house is symptomatic, work remote. If you are symptomatic, take PTO to get better or work remote if you are feeling up to it.

WaterShield

Space Marshal
Oct 16, 2015
RSI Handle
WaterShield
My company just said that it's important for us to risk our lives for peoples ability to buy computers at the last minute. They've even petitioned the governor of each state a store is located in to consider us "essential retailers". No PTO if you get the virus. Also if we die they aren't liable ^.^'
Paraphrased of course.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
It turns out we've politicized coronavirus. This may have had something to do with our delayed response:

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
If you aren't following him already, Dr. Campbell has been doing a great job with daily objective analysis. Within the first minute or so he starts reading a letter from an Italian nurse I recommend you listen to. The rest is just a good picture of where were at, at the moment.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
UK fatalities now at 71, with near 2000 confirmed cases, actual case numbers can only be guessed at as no testing outside of healthcare institutions.

Having previously given the impression measures could be left for later saying the computer models indicated everyone should get it and most people would be fine if we just stay away from the elderly and they'll implement measures "at the right time", the models now say we are heading for an outbreak on an unprecedented scale and everyone should now try not to get it as a highest possible priority.

Following the government advice late yesterday that anyone who could work from home should, we all went to work this morning. Staff at my workplace were sent to work from home if they were in a role that could half way through the day. I am fortunate enough to be in one of those roles, so it went from performing my tasks in shirt, tie and trousers in front of three screens in an uncomfy chair to performing my tasks in shirt, tie and trousers on the sofa in front of one screen. It is inconclusive as to which method yielded the higher efficiency but I'll keep an eye on it and make recommendations for comfy seats to my boss when all of this blows over.

Schools still not closed but the leader of a headteachers group has gone on record saying that some are not going to have enough staff left to operate them by Friday - as in not enough teachers are still healthy enough to be able to oversee a classroom. This makes a LOT of sense if the reports are true and kids can carry and incubate it but not be overly effected by it, it doesn't take a lot of imagination to work out a population that can carry but not be effected by a pathogen will be a broiling undetectable cauldron of contagion... If kids not being overly effected is true. I don't know what to know anymore.

Last edited:

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
Reactions: Blind Owl

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
China, I do not think you value old people but we do in the US. Good news, if there is anything the West does well, is find solutions to problems.

(Conspiracy Theory - stop reading if you do not think out of the box)
Due to the trade restrictions put on China, is it possible China decided to lighten the social load by designing a virus that kills old people? Its out there, and I do not think China has the social norms the West has developed.

This is the third time China has done this to us. SARs, Swine Flu. If you fricken do something and it does not work after the second time... STOP DOING IT, CHINA!

Last edited:

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
China, I do not think you value old people but we do in the US. Good news, if there is anything the West does well, is find solutions to problems.

(Conspiracy Theory - stop reading if you do not think out of the box)
Due to the trade restrictions put on China, is it possible China decided to lighten the social load by designing a virus that kills old people? Its out there, and I do not think China has the social norms the West has developed.

This is the third time China has done this to us. SARs, Swine Flu. If you fricken do something and it does not work after the second time... STOP DOING IT, CHINA!

Yeah let's STOP it right there with the conspiracy theories.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
I'm just saying what everyone is thinking, and knowing China I think this is very possible. I'm done... but I can be pissed if I want to :)
I'm not thinking it. And you don't know China, just like I don't 'know' any country by watching the 24/7 News Cycle talking heads non stop.

I'm pissed too (I've been laid off because of this) but xenophobia and tinfoil conspiracy theorizing doesn't help anyone.

Anyway....I'm more pissed off the Canadian Government can't put together a fucking working website for people to apply for unemployment insurance....sigh.

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
I'm not thinking it. And you don't know China, just like I don't 'know' any country by watching the 24/7 News Cycle talking heads non stop.

Get use to it... the world is boiling and it started in China... not for the first time, not for the second time, but for the 3rd time. Funny how it coincides with campaigns... 2000, 2009 and 2020.

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
Anyway....I'm more pissed off the Canadian Government can't put together a fucking working website for people to apply for unemployment insurance....sigh.
their response time is pretty crap, too - last time it took em 6mo to fix whatever issue i was having, and ofc by then i'd already moved on to another job and didnt need the money

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari

Get use to it... the world is boiling and it started in China... not for the first time, not for the second time, but for the 3rd time. Funny how it coincides with campaigns... 2000, 2009 and 2020.
Who's US?

China bio-engineered a virus, infected their OWN population (where they still have the most cases and fatalities), have it released to the rest of the world just to INFLUENCE American elections? Read that back to me and tell me that's not crazy.

Forgot your password?