DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
I am really pissed today, just saw this within the last hour

I have a partnership contract with BroadbandTV, Google shouldn't be able to just unmonetize partnered channels which are in the green/no violations.

I earned $35 of beer money last month from my channel, never... never.. fuck with a man's beer money!

Last edited:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
They're maximizing control over their revenue streams. Perfectly natural way for a company to behave. My advice is to hedge your bets. Set up Ad-Sense, it makes sense anyway since even if you don't they'll just inject ads you don't get paid for anyway. Then investigate other platforms. Then we can have a discussion about evil empires.

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
They're maximizing control over their revenue streams. Perfectly natural way for a company to behave. My advice is to hedge your bets. Set up Ad-Sense, it makes sense anyway since even if you don't they'll just inject ads you don't get paid for anyway. Then investigate other platforms. Then we can have a discussion about evil empires.
Let me explain the full picture. I already had adsense setup on my channel. When you get partnered, the MCN (multi channel network) takes control of your adsense / revenue streams. As a partnered channel you have access to more tool non-partnered channels don't have as well as sometimes better revenue rates and sponsorship opportunities. Just depends on how much you network and leverage your network (in my case BroadbandTV).

They removed BBTV from having control of my channel's revenue and thereby disconnecting any revenue I can make on the channel. Which they imo shouldn't have done. I'm still under contract. In my opinion it's unethical and it's not good business sense to interfere with contract agreements that were encouraged by YouTube in the first place. Just simply unmonetize all unpartnered channels which don't meet criteria. I don't know my rights in this yet.. so I dunno if there's any legal avenue to take to have Google not interfere with the MCN contract..... but seems ethics only applies when under threat of legal action these days.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
If I had the funds, resources & technical abilities, I'd start up a direct rival to YouTube that would not be listed on the stock market in which the only rules the content creators would have to abide by would be those of the net globally. (with a few obvious additions of course) As for the funding, since the content would be effectively hands off, there would be a flat percentage earned rate based on income from the content creators generated revenue. In which they could have as much or as little ads as they choose as well as whichever ads they want. The fee I'd require would almost entirely go to upkeep of the service so that everybody would win. Well, everybody except Google, YouTube & those that would attempt to buy it out from me. We TESTies can be a rather stubborn bunch at times. ;p

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
Please, keep us posted. As long as it wasn't request from BBTV I don't understand why this is happening at all
BBTV just fucked me too... so much for standing behind their partners. All because of a slump on my gaming channel. Meanwhile they won't dare fuck with my main channel cuz that still makes them money... but still... feels like a kick in the teeth from someone I thought I could trust that had my back.

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
This is the problem with social media platforms right now. Over the years these companies peddled false advertisement outreach statistics when selling their advertisement packaged to different companies. Facebook for instance would tell advertisers "you will reach 1 billion people!" and would show them a bunch of information they couldn't necessarily interpret but took at face value. When these corporations started to wise up to Facebook / googles falsities is when we started seeing a massive advertising push and tighter control on content creators. The major social media companies have each created their own empire of dirt.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
It could be much worse. They could have held you to your contract even though YouTube was no longer working for them. That might have meant posting on another site. By releasing you from your contract you are now free to negotiate with them or another service. If they had kept you, you might have needed to sue them to terminate the contract if you wanted out.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Googles unofficial slogan was "Don't be evil" - when Alphabet was formed this was changed to "Do the right thing"

"Don't be evil" is pretty conclusive. Don't feed kittens into a wood chipper, got it. But the question which follows "Do the right thing" is: For Whom?

If feeding kittens into a wood chipper gets 7 billion views and increases Youtube revenues 300%, you could say it is probably the right thing to do from a business perspective.

(My better half says the cat doesn't approve of the example. Apparently that why she rubs her arse all over my stuff. The cat, not my better half.)

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
Did you have 4000hrs of video watch time in the last year?

If not, then you get demonetized.
4,000 watch time hours in the last year? lol oh man yea.. blew that out of the water

I am actually sad there is no real competition to Youtube. :(
Me too buddy... me too

Forgot your password?