Demonitized by YouTube, and I am partnered by BBTV

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
MONETIZE ALL THE THINGS!
Well somethings up or YouTube wouldn't be choking themselves to death in this bizarre stranglewank.

I thought the point of monetization was to get content creators an income from their work so they could make more content for the platform. Instead of one video every two weeks it went to a video every other day...

Perhaps the uploaders got too rich? You see talent such as the Game Grumps moving into other fields like having a TV show etc, but that is to ignore the fact that some content producers already were doing that kind of thing. Ninja Sex Party were a band before being Youtubers, for instance.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
It actually looks to me like it was BBTV doing this, not YouTube. If you'd like me to explain that I will.

but still... feels like a kick in the teeth from someone I thought I could trust that had my back.
Make no mistake. Companies do not exist for your benefit, and they do not have your back. They exist for the benefit of their shareholders, and for no other reason. Don't ever forget that, because it also includes the company you work for.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
It actually looks to me like it was BBTV doing this, not YouTube. If you'd like me to explain that I will.
I'd like you to explain as I have no idea whats going on.

What actually was the Adpocalypse, for example. I know a lotta people are fucked off over it but I don't know what it actually was.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I'd like you to explain as I have no idea whats going on.
In this case, I think the action was on the part of BBTV, not YouTube because the explanation in BBTV's message, and @DirectorGunner is not the only person who's channel was dropped by BBTV on February 28th.

This past January and in the beginning of February, YouTube clarified some of their monitization policies like the 4000 hour minimum etc., and BBTV subsequently had discussions about YouTube (mentioned in their letter), probably about their liability if a channel they support was demonitized. I know if I was BBTV or any other MCN, I would have had that conversation with YouTube the day after the 4000 hours/1000 subscribers policy was anounced.

As a result of those conversations, I think BBTV re-evaluated their support of marginal channels. By "marginal" i mean channels that were under a viewer threshold that was far higher than YouTube's minimum. Nothing to do with content.

What actually was the Adpocalypse, for example. I know a lotta people are fucked off over it but I don't know what it actually was.
Adpocalypse was a sudden fall off of advertisers and advertising revenue YouTube experienced due to content issues with certain videos. The main triggers were in the news, and involved videos that constituted hate crimes, pranks which got people in serious legal trouble, etc. The problem for YouTube, and Google in general is that advertising revenue makes up a large portion of their income. Several very large advertising contracts were cancelled or curtailed.

In response, YouTube used an AI to make decisions about video acceptability, and removed or demonitized videos the AI found issues with. The thing is AI's aren't actually all that intelligent. They don't make anything more than random decisions without a lot of training, I mean 10's or even 100's of thousands of examples. They have probably enough "unacceptable" vs "Acceptable" rules to train the AI, but what they don't have is the "No that's not right" training. That is required to properly train an AI. The result is, the AI cast it's net far too wide. This, YouTube elected manage on the fly, based on user's appeals. But the appeal process takes time, and time in the YouTube world, is money.

There's a pretty good write-up of the situation and how it devolved from the content creator's perspective here.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2017/09/18/adpocalypse-2017-heres-what-you-need-to-know-about-youtubes-demonetization-troubles/

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
In response, YouTube used an AI to make decisions about video acceptability, and removed or demonitized videos the AI found issues with [...] The result is, the AI cast it's net far too wide. This, YouTube elected manage on the fly, based on user's appeals. But the appeal process takes time, and time in the YouTube world, is money.
Ah... I can see my stranglewank analogy is pretty accurate, then.

Interesting to see if 4000hrs and 1000 viewers helps new content makers by making them work harder or leads to the platform stagnating as the big followers videos become the only ones coming out regularly enough to make YT a daily view for most people.

...or you get twats cementing their heads into microwaves like what happened a while back...

So, for now, i'll end on a song:

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Well somethings up or YouTube wouldn't be choking themselves to death in this bizarre stranglewank.

I thought the point of monetization was to get content creators an income from their work so they could make more content for the platform. Instead of one video every two weeks it went to a video every other day...

Perhaps the uploaders got too rich? You see talent such as the Game Grumps moving into other fields like having a TV show etc, but that is to ignore the fact that some content producers already were doing that kind of thing. Ninja Sex Party were a band before being Youtubers, for instance.
too many creators, not enough viewers

Tealwraith

Heresy detector
Donor
May 31, 2017
RSI Handle
Tealwraith
All of this looks to me like the boys at the top are positioning themselves to not be found liable in court for damages after the long knives come out and they cut away a massive number of channels. I'm expecting to see, in the next few months, certain viewpoints on You Tube and Facebook eradicated under the guise of anti-pedos and social justice awakening and a statist groupthink be left as the only tolerated path.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
to much garbage on Youtube these days.... I don't know how some guy picking his nose can get 1million views
Bad example because that guy is an After Effects expert video editor and has over 1M subs on his channel. He has worked hard to get to that number and is at a point where he can sneeze and animate snot hitting the screen, his fans will view that 1M times too.

While I feel the new standards for monetization are pretty rough, I do believe its simply a maturing industry that is forging a path forward.

Do we reward kids running around punching random strangers in the face with ad revenue?

No, that is ridiculous.

How about those prank channels where somebody gets hurt?

Spiderman and Elsa making out and other sexual behavior being passed off as kids videos? (its happened)

The industry is growing up, capitalism finds a way and in America, we trust capitalism should forge the right path (most of the time).

If bad behavior gets rewarded with revenue, then it encourages more bad behavior.

If quality content gets rewarded, then it will lead to more quality, which is where this is supposed to be going.

I know this opens up the question "who gets to decide what is quality or not?"

Very simple, the advertisers do.

Youtube was more than happy to collect revenue from your video, regardless of what the content was. But if advertisers are saying "hold on now, we don't want our ads showing up on neo-nazi videos!", then capitalism and spoken and youtube will adjust to maximize their revenue streams.

In short, it is not youtube dictating what is acceptable or not, it is their clients, the advertisers that are making recommendations and youtube is adjusting course.

As a business, Google (youtube) seeks to maximize profitability. They would not be taking these drastic steps if it meant less money. They see this move as rewarding quality content, bringing in higher paying ads and maximizing profits. Content producers need to adjust accordingly.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Bad example because that guy is an After Effects expert video editor and has over 1M subs on his channel. He has worked hard to get to that number and is at a point where he can sneeze and animate snot hitting the screen, his fans will view that 1M times too.

While I feel the new standards for monetization are pretty rough, I do believe its simply a maturing industry that is forging a path forward.

Do we reward kids running around punching random strangers in the face with ad revenue?

No, that is ridiculous.

Spiderman and Elsa making out and other sexual behavior being passed off as kids videos? (its happened)

The industry is growing up, capitalism finds a way and in America, we trust capitalism should forge the right path (most of the time).

If bad behavior gets rewarded with revenue, then it encourages more bad behavior.

If quality content gets rewarded, then it will lead to more quality, which is where this is supposed to be going.

Youtube was more than happy to collect revenue from your video, regardless of what the content was. But if advertisers are saying "hold on now, we don't want out ads showing up on neo-nazi videos!", then capitalism and spoken and youtube will adjust to maximize their revenue streams.

In short, it is not youtube dictating what is acceptable or not, it is their clients, the advertisers that are making recommendations and youtube is adjusting course.

As a business, Google (youtube) seeks to maximize profitability. They would not be taking these drastic steps if it meant less money. They see this move as rewarding quality content, bringing in higher paying ads and maximizing profits. Content producers need to adjust accordingly.
I can see why you are in charge around here... :thinking:

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264

No, that is ridiculous.

Youtube was more than happy to collect revenue from your video, regardless of what the content was. But if advertisers are saying "hold on now, we don't want out ads showing up on neo-nazi videos!", then capitalism and spoken and youtube will adjust to maximize their revenue streams.

Very well said as for the nose picking guy i honestly just picked some guy and rolled with it to get the point across that a guy picking his nose can generate that many views.(it was pretty funny though didnt expect that after i watched it) Yeah though i could have picked a better video to point out that fact(like these japanese youtubers that my wife watches all the time just living their normal everyday life... (yet they get 1-4million views per video)

Forgot your password?