EMP and missiles.

MikeNificent

Space Marshal
Sep 24, 2016
RSI Handle
MikeNificent
So if we were working with real life dynamics the ship using an EMP would need to be 120% shielded, even the smallest gap in its shielding would render it useless - the EMP generator could even take itself out, i assume?
Microelectronics are the biggest weakness. Even the tiny wires in your mobiglass would likely burn up, unless they were shielded.

An EMP in space would be interesting anyway. Without an electron field (like an atmosphere) filled with electrons to push with an explosion in order to bombard surrounding ships with, it would be more like an MP. An MP would still induce current in circuits, would be tougher to shield against, and would also be tougher to generate without damaging your own ship.

Anyway, I'm rambling. The short answer is @Shadow Reaper is correct in that the computers would be the most vulnerable part of the ship.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Microelectronics are the biggest weakness. Even the tiny wires in your mobiglass would likely burn up, unless they were shielded.

An EMP in space would be interesting anyway. Without an electron field (like an atmosphere) filled with electrons to push with an explosion in order to bombard surrounding ships with, it would be more like an MP. An MP would still induce current in circuits, would be tougher to shield against, and would also be tougher to generate without damaging your own ship.

Anyway, I'm rambling. The short answer is @Shadow Reaper is correct in that the computers would be the most vulnerable part of the ship.
It is a game with game mechanics. If an EMP could permanently damage a ship beyond repair, they wouldn't allow us to use it. First the Warlock could disable an target and itself in the process, temporarily. Now an EMP blast won't harm the ship that fired it, but also the damage to the targeted ship first goes to shield, after that the remaining power of the EMP blast goes to the rest of the ship. Multiple blasts are necessary to disable a ship.
Still a dangerous weapon, as long as they allow it to reload before the old damage is repaired, but in the end it stays a game mechanic.

Edgewise

Space Marshal
Jun 14, 2014
RSI Handle
Edgewise-SJ
So if we were working with real life dynamics the ship using an EMP would need to be 120% shielded, even the smallest gap in its shielding would render it useless - the EMP generator could even take itself out, i assume?
Actually, it really depends on the type of EMP. The 'EM' is just electromagnetic, which can be anything on either axis of the spectrum. Ionizing radiation has a different effect from microwaves for instance. A lightning strike is an EMP. A gamma ray burst is an EMP. A pulse laser is an EMP. In the context of the game, it appears to be sort of an electrical surge, the type that would trip your circuit breaker or destroy unprotected electronics. Most military and aerospace equipment is protected in one way or another from this type of electrical discharge. Think of the ingame mechanic as all your circuit breakers tripping and needing to reset at once. Not really sure how an electrical 'burst' would even work in space, but it's a game after all. :)

Edgewise

Space Marshal
Jun 14, 2014
RSI Handle
Edgewise-SJ
Sorry, I just glanced at this thread again and realized I didn't notice the second part of your question, could an EMP generator take itself out. It should be possible (I'm making a lot of assumptions about what type of EMP the game is using which could be completely wrong) for the EMP generating device to be impervious to/shielded from it's own EMP unless something happened to redirect the surge back on the device.

Also, the more I think about this the more it seems like the omnidirectional EMP the game uses would in fact hit the ship using it, as you'd need the emitter or emitters to be externally mounted facing in all directions with shielding between them and the ship for the ship not to be hit. Currently, it at least 'seems' to be mounted internally and in only one location.

Forgot your password?