EMP and missiles.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
At the moment a very potent tactic in the 'Verse is disabling a foe with EMP and fireing some missiles to pop them while the ship is incapacitated.

As I am not in 3.0 yet I have some questions:

1. Does EMP effect missiles? once they are in the air, does an EMP shock blow them up, knock out their guidance or does it not do anything to them at all?
  2. If it doesn't do anything to them, why not?
  3. EMP has a certain range. As ships are big and the components inside them, I expect this range to be as stated, but missiles are small and usually external to the ship - I would expect EMP effective range to be 1.5x what it is for standard ships.
  4. Is EMP counted as distortion weapon damage? So if a missile or other weapon or system is hit enough times will it take it offline until repaired?
  5. Does EMP still effect the ship that fires it, and if so does point Number 4 effect that ship too in the fullness of time?
Cheers,

'BobFace.

Duhb

Admiral
Dec 4, 2017
RSI Handle
Duhb
I saw a video of a guy using his raven... it was sorry to say cool af. It looked like it had an AOE larger then the Avenger, but I couldn’t be sure. In the hawk q&a the way they answered it sounds like different levels of AOE, will increase or decrease the area. I think it was Boredgamer that dug up the current it doesn’t effect your own ship is the way they are going with it. As to distortion damage I’m confused sometimes I think it’s counted as different damage type, with emp seeming to have no lasting effect, but unless someone wants to go out and just emp a ship over and over to see if it takes damage no way to tell. I can’t imagine there isn’t some kind of permanent damage from it... To the missiles I don’t think they will be effected. Sorry no EMP missile shield, which would make sense.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
https://starcitizen.tools/EMP
An EMP pulse doesn't affect the ship that fired it.
Thats useful, thanks.

Shame missiles on pylons on the outside enemy wingmen ships just outside of the standard range of the EMP are not effected prior to firing.

Maybe if they are EM or IR missiles lock is lost as soon as the EMP goes off as the victim ship looses all power and engines and lock is only reobtainable once systems are back online. Technically speaking it'd only be radar guided cross-section missiles that would be able to function for this kind of tactic...?

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
EMP missiles would make ships like the Warlock, redundant, if not obsolete. I mean, why have an extra ship along, if you can just lob a missile at the craft and even with a small AOE, disable the craft.
Because a missile is limited. An EMP generator can be used multiple times without rearming costs. A Warlock or Raven has the best targeting system with more fuel then a missile.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Oh, great link marcsand2. Very useful.
Now, how to jam an extra generator in my pants so my titan armor would have a backup...

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Oh, great link marcsand2. Very useful.
Now, how to jam an extra generator in my pants so my titan armor would have a backup...
if you have two power plants, you could turn one of them off to ensure it is perfectly immune to the Pulse damage, and then after the detonation disables the active power plant you could turn the other one back on to resume normal operation
soooo, if one power plant is turned off, it is perfectly immune. The turned off power plant can take over if the other is disabled. Suppose you only have one power plant, if you turn that off before the blast, the one power plant also will be immune. The fighter will keep its speed, flying straight forward, shields will go down, but when you switch on your power plant, you will regain control and maneuverability. Your power switch will be your best weapon against EMP blasts.

VFV

Grand Admiral
Nov 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Vfv
At the moment a very potent tactic in the 'Verse is disabling a foe with EMP and fireing some missiles to pop them while the ship is incapacitated.

1. Does EMP effect missiles? once they are in the air, does an EMP shock blow them up, knock out their guidance or does it not do anything to them at all?
  3. EMP has a certain range. As ships are big and the components inside them, I expect this range to be as stated, but missiles are small and usually external to the ship - I would expect EMP effective range to be 1.5x what it is for standard ships.
  4. Is EMP counted as distortion weapon damage? So if a missile or other weapon or system is hit enough times will it take it offline until repaired?
  5. Does EMP still effect the ship that fires it, and if so does point Number 4 effect that ship too in the fullness of time?
Cheers,

'BobFace.
I hope emp effects missles, only makes sense. In elite dangerous it really messes up the targeting on missles. Not saying this game needs to be like elite dangerous, but, it would be a cool feature to have to over come

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
IDK if they are in game yet, but there are EM tracking missiles that can be purchased that are supposedly rather good at taking out EMP ships as those ships have such high EM signatures they can't lose the missile lock from them. I posted this the other day in the threat about VirtualAce.

"I believe that there is 1 current solution to the EMP ships, but the solution is not cheap. There are missiles that can be used that specifically lock onto & track EM signatures. Perhaps they can also be obtained in game.

Size 1
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/voyager-direct/Thermyte-Taskforce/Task-Force-Strike-EM-Missile-x8
or
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/electronic-access/Weapon-Roms/Task-Force-Strike-EM-Missile

Size 2
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/voyager-direct/Talon-Dominator/Dominator-II-x10
or
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/electronic-access/Weapon-Roms/Dominator-II

Size 3
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/voyager-direct/Firestorm-Thunderbolt/Thunderbolt-III
or
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/electronic-access/Weapon-Roms/Firestorm-Kinetics-Thunderbolt-III
"

Zookajoe

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 6, 2016
RSI Handle
Zookajoe
soooo, if one power plant is turned off, it is perfectly immune. The turned off power plant can take over if the other is disabled. Suppose you only have one power plant, if you turn that off before the blast, the one power plant also will be immune. The fighter will keep its speed, flying straight forward, shields will go down, but when you switch on your power plant, you will regain control and maneuverability. Your power switch will be your best weapon against EMP blasts.
This would make sense, as that is how an actual EMP works. If the power is shut off, there is a lesser degree of damage, as most of the damage would be from power surges within the circuitry.

Edgewise

Space Marshal
Jun 14, 2014
RSI Handle
Edgewise-SJ

Cheers,

'BobFace.
I want to test all this stuff. I don't have an EMP ship but this is the sort of thing I also wanna know.

Wasn't there some rumor that there would be EMP missiles in the game at some point?
I think you are correct. When... no idea.

MikeNificent

Space Marshal
Sep 24, 2016
RSI Handle
MikeNificent
Not sure how the game will implement the tech, but an EMP induces current in unshielded conductors whether they are operating or not. Also, the damage would be permanent in 'real life' as the current spike would burn up any of the affected conductors not rated to handle the load. Since the 'real life' effects of an EMP would require the ship to be repaired before it could operate again, it's anyone's guess how it will end up working in game. I see upgraded wiring or a Faraday caged hold with spare parts inside being a more realistic solution. We shall see.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Damage would be permanent in 'real life' as the current spike would burn up any of the affected conductors not rated to handle the load. Since the 'real life' effects of an EMP would require the ship to be repaired before it could operate again, it's anyone's guess how it will end up working in game.
So if we were working with real life dynamics the ship using an EMP would need to be 120% shielded, even the smallest gap in its shielding would render it useless - the EMP generator could even take itself out, i assume?

Reactions: Talonsbane

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
  1. The AOE of an EMP is so small, that any missile would cross the radius of the area in a tiny fraction of a second--bare miliseconds. It is not practical to plan to disarm a missile at that range. It is hard enough to try to disarm them with a Pyro or Distortion cannon at 600-1200 meters range. I have not heard of anyone trying to knock down a missile with another missile. I'm not sure you can even get a lock for something like that, but the S1 "dumbfire" proximity missiles might work for this since they don't require a lock. That's worth checking, especially of you are a Reliant pilot.
  1. Is EMP counted as distortion weapon damage? So if a missile or other weapon or system is hit enough times will it take it offline until repaired?
    Yes, EMPs, distortion cannons and spike missiles all do the same distortion damage, but is only against a target ship's computer system. This damage repairs in set time that is different for every ship, and only systems that depend upon the computer will go down. So for example you should expect all missile launchers and their tracking to go down, and all remote turrets, but not necessarily manned turrets would go down when the computer goes down. The engines and maneuvering thrusters will certainly go down, as will life support, but the computer does not stay down long enough to make the life support into a serious issue.
  2. Does EMP still effect the ship that fires it, and if so does point Number 4 effect that ship too in the fullness of time?
    The attacking ships are all immune to their own EMP thus far, but that may find exceptions in the future.
The powerplant is not the issue. It's all the computer, IIUC. If you can turn that off and back on, then this scheme might work. Also some ships are hardened against EMP/spike/distortion damage, such as the Herald.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?