I really, really want to like this game.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
@Richard Bong I know its tough to not play at the moment but listen to the group and just take a step back and don't expect anything even close to finished. Id rather see the game be super buggy and loaded with content then a not so buggy game with no content. I agree in the current moment the game is not very playable which is why i don't play right now even though ive spent over 5k usd on it. Eventually it will be playable when everything gets worked out and all the content is released updated and debugged. they are not taking 1 element at a time and working with it they are taking several elements and trying to debug everything at the same time with a very large working crew all working on the same game. most game companies dont push 300 people to work on 1 single game at the same time. So take a step back goto the beach get a tan get some long island ice teas talk to some beautiful girls and wait it out a bit. When the game is closer to release upgrade your system and give it a go i'm sure you won't be dissapointed by that time.

PrimeCronus

Admiral
Sep 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Nero_Genesys
I really want to like Star Citizen.
Last summer when they delayed the release of 3.0 they said it was due to stability and because it needed more polish. It turns out neither polish or stability are all that important to CIG.

We had a 3.0 delivery that was not ready for prime time. With no regards to stability, and bugs that they claimed were fixed, to include showing them fixing the bugs on bug smashers, yet the very same bugs are still present.

The feature creep is off the charts. The QA is unacceptable. The "vast planets" are boring lifeless rocks and are all the same except for color.

The Subscriber ship of the month, for the second month in a row, can't even keep the HUD up and online.

The Mobiglass bug that locks you up, since the PTU release is still present.

The Frame Rate is atrocious.

I just cancelled my Sub. No more money from me until they start showing they actually are serious about making a game instead of playing at making a game.

Man I am frustrated with this mess they have created.
That's the main reason i am not buying ships right now. I love most of them and want to buy them with LTI and stuff, but when i see how slow this is going and nothing actually getting fixed (but we see more ships and ships), i am not buying anything.

But well, i will keep being a sub and i expect they will not forget to appreciate all the money and hope, that subs give to them.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
I really want to like Star Citizen.
Last summer when they delayed the release of 3.0 they said it was due to stability and because it needed more polish. It turns out neither polish or stability are all that important to CIG.

We had a 3.0 delivery that was not ready for prime time. With no regards to stability, and bugs that they claimed were fixed, to include showing them fixing the bugs on bug smashers, yet the very same bugs are still present.

The feature creep is off the charts. The QA is unacceptable. The "vast planets" are boring lifeless rocks and are all the same except for color.

The Subscriber ship of the month, for the second month in a row, can't even keep the HUD up and online.

The Mobiglass bug that locks you up, since the PTU release is still present.

The Frame Rate is atrocious.

I just cancelled my Sub. No more money from me until they start showing they actually are serious about making a game instead of playing at making a game.

Man I am frustrated with this mess they have created.
Welcome to game development! :D

RoughGalaxy

Commander
Nov 2, 2017
RSI Handle
RoughGalaxy
I backed in november, played a little here and there. I understand it's not really a game yet. it's chunks of a game, some just concepts or first passes. why? because we demand something to play, right now. To be honest, until they bring in more or at least some kind of persistence, there is no play. Only test. It's not a game yet. We are TESTING builds and mechanics. If you aren't willing to accept the fact that paid to help fund and test a game, then you are always welcome to return to the game when it's done.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
I appreciate your experiences. Out of interest, which Agile methodology were you using mostly? Scrum? XP? Crystal? FDD?
It has been a year and a half since using it and 8 years since reading the manual on it that we were using. We didn't use an overall term for it and I don't' remember the name of the manual.

The real difference between the methods, from what I understand, is who gets the royalties or the licensing fee. :)

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
My own contact with the game in a while has been these forums and the odd video. I can't even tell you the last time I logged in, and even then it was for like 30 minutes.

3.0 had a bad start but a few weeks of patches meant it was playable.

Don't give up, just as others have said don't treat it as a final game just yet, if it frustrates you play something else for a while and maybe you'll forget about the game and the next time you log in you'll see nice smooth gameplay with all the features you wanted.
I am not treating it as a final game, by any stretch of the imagination.

I am tired of being lied to and their technobabble which they use to make themselves sound important while they ignore all good practices for software development.

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
Yep... I think their priorities are a little screwed up. Seems all we see is graphics... touching this up... touching that up. I am not buying SC solely for its pretty pictures and avatar clothing... I am buying a game and that includes everything - economy, universe, mining, salvaging, etc. I would like them to spin up a darn galaxy with more than a couple planets. Yeah... I think we are all getting restless and tired of the same selling points and the nickle and dime business model. I still have faith, just hope it is sometime within the next decade.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
For me, there is no game until we are in there as an org, fighting, building, exploring and doing things which build our shared experience!

Sure I like seeing new ships make it into the game.

Yes, seeing new moons or planets will be very cool.

But nothing of that matters to me until there is actual game play to invest in.

This is all simply different ingredients coming together that will make the final cake.

At the moment we are licking the unbaked batter and commenting how tasty it is.
I would not even call this a batter at this point. Right now, we have the raw ingredients to make the cake. Unfortunately, we still need to remove the hull from the wheat, carve the rocks into grindstones (and make the tools to do that as well) grind it into flour, wait for the chicks to grow into chickens so they can lay eggs, wait for the calf to be born so the cow starts giving milk so we can turn it into butter, turn the sugar cane into refined sugar, build an oven, etc.

The cake is a dream, the batter is a far off destination. right now, we are working to just make tools we need so we can assemble the batter and make the cake.

This is not a finished game, or even a beta in need of polishing. They are literally building the tools needed to put together a game. What kind of cake comes out of this, I don’t know, but all cake tastes great...brownies taste better

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Again I feel I must point out their priorities are likely on Sq42 and we don't get to see the dev side of that, probbably as to not blow the surprise when we get to play it.

If CIG came out and said "Oh, just a heads up, the lack of apparent progress on SC is due to the amount of work being put into Sq42" would that make anyone feel happier with the world?

It has been a year and a half since using it and 8 years since reading the manual on it that we were using. We didn't use an overall term for it and I don't' remember the name of the manual.

The real difference between the methods, from what I understand, is who gets the royalties or the licensing fee. :slight_smile:
Ah, as far as my understanding goes not quite. There are differences between all of them, some have 9 touchpoints, some have 3, some have Masters like SCRUM methodology whereas others have other management methods and feedback looping systems...

From what I hear SCRUM has a growing reputation as being the most efficient for many project types and is becoming by far the most popular due to its approach to sprints and feedback (although that doesn't make the other types irrelevant), if you'd been using SCRUM you'd know because there is an employee named as the Scrum Master who is essentially the Project Owner, but you have to call them the Scrum Master - or what is the point of civilization itself?

Last edited:

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy
I am not treating it as a final game, by any stretch of the imagination.

I am tired of being lied to and their technobabble which they use to make themselves sound important while they ignore all good practices for software development.
I don't think they are ignoring good practice, they are building things properly now so that it's easier to expand and work with 5 years from now, sure they could get a lot of issues fixed now with rushed inefficient code but they want to build proper backbone and framework and then fix the issues by building the faulty code within that framework. It sucks I know but I do believe they are using good software development practice.

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
I said at the time that releasing 3.0 after half a year of bug fixing in a buggy mess would not be good for the game. It did not at all surprise me that they did exactly that. Even if you love the gameplay as it is I strongly advise you to wait to play, any game no matter how good you will get bored off.

It is really noticeable that there has been an increase in the "I need to sell some of my investment", and a realisation that this game has years of work left to go and the rate of improvement is extremely slow. They can do quarterly updates as much as they like but that doesn't mean the game will have very much added.

Play something else.

Gearen

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Gearen
That's the main reason i am not buying ships right now. I love most of them and want to buy them with LTI and stuff, but when i see how slow this is going and nothing actually getting fixed (but we see more ships and ships), i am not buying anything.

But well, i will keep being a sub and i expect they will not forget to appreciate all the money and hope, that subs give to them.
Don't worry for that..... the ccu system and anniversary sales let you buy almost anything you want with lti....... no need to buy on the concept sales if you are not into warbounds.

Last edited:

Passeeo

Admiral
Jan 20, 2017
RSI Handle
PASSEEO
I don't know what you are looking for from this post to be honest. Are you looking for a pat on the back and a band to cheer you on the way to not playing the game?
If you are not happy to play the game in it's current state then don't play it.

I mean if you are looking for support on the idea that they are not making the game then you are looking in the wrong place.
I'm not saying the current build is great, but it is progress, so your statement that they are lying about actually making the game is well wide of the mark.

Have they made mistakes? Yes.
Is progress being made as fast as we all would like? No.

But there is a lot of grey in-between your statement and what is actually happening.

Personally i'm not playing at the moment, i dip in for about 2-3 weeks of heavy play whenever there is a patch of note and that's ok for me.
I suggest maybe you do the same.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
The frustration I am feeling is not game development but being talked down to while they pretend to be developing a game.
So don't play. I don't play and yet I am often taxed past my patience. I spend time acquainting myself with the SC universe. Watch the various system vids. Learn about the different game dynamics and who the big players are and will be. What I don't do is play. I don't have time to invest in alpha testing, and it would make me tense anyway.

If it is not okay with you to invest an evening and have it all go sour at the end because of some glitch, you should not play. There is plenty else to do. What will make the best players are things like understanding where to go and what to do in any given situation. Players will be attracted to players who know because they so invested their time. "Hey man, lets go to Fora and kick some pirate booty" is a call to have fun you can't make if you don't know what Fora is.

There's lots to do beyond playing.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
The frustration I am feeling is not game development but being talked down to while they pretend to be developing a game.
475 employees go to work in the morning and work pretty damn hard at getting this done.

The problem is that it takes 90% of their time to make 10% of the game.

That 10% is the core basics such as flight models, animations, physics, interactions, networking, game mechanics, all the core features that are needed to make the game actually work.

Once these features are in, things will move really fast.

Game development time frames, in chart form, is not a straight line from bottom left to top right, its a curved line that accelerates upwards towards release.

When the basics get locked down, it will be very fast to simply generate entire planets, slap on 60-80 bases, create space stations anywhere with a push of a button.

Procedural generation took a massive amount of time to create, but once we got it, how fast can CIG spit out entire planets now? How about cities? We saw that here:

It took a long time to model and produce everything that allows them to click a bunch of squares and generate an entire city!

90% of the time to make 10% of the game.

The final 10% will make 90% of the game appear very fast.

StdDev

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 16, 2017
RSI Handle
StdDev
Wow...
If you realy think that CIG is lieing to you and that they are being deceptive then there is only one thing you should do....
I think you are talking out of frustration and lashing out a bit but.... you are an adult and if you truly think you are being scammed then you probably need to look into refund.
We all would hate to see you go but we (TESTies) don't want you to feel that you've been cheated.

On the other hand, if you feel that perhaps this game does have a future and there is a genuine possibility of Star Citizen becoming "the game you have always imagined", then please hang in there with the rest of us! If you are having issues while playing (testing) the game post and ask questions.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
I don't know what you are looking for from this post to be honest. Are you looking for a pat on the back and a band to cheer you on the way to not playing the game?
If you are not happy to play the game in it's current state then don't play it.

I mean if you are looking for support on the idea that they are not making the game then you are looking in the wrong place.
I'm not saying the current build is great, but it is progress, so your statement that they are lying about actually making the game is well wide of the mark.

Have they made mistakes? Yes.
Is progress being made as fast as we all would like? No.

But there is a lot of grey in-between your statement and what is actually happening.

Personally i'm not playing at the moment, i dip in for about 2-3 weeks of heavy play whenever there is a patch of note and that's ok for me.
I suggest maybe you do the same.
I am not looking for anything. I am just venting.

Forgot your password?