PSA - Official CIG 3.6 Feedback threads and survey

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I think all it needs to be "mostly" useful/better is a toggle to engage/disengage VTOL mode AND a toggle to control forward/reverse thrust. For landing anyway.

For strafing though I can't say.. I had too many beers by the time I got to that point and I crashed and burned.

It was glorious!
LOL.. that's the spirit! I crashed and burned too, quite a bit over the weekend and I can't drink right now...so I don't even have that as an excuse till next month.

But I was able to figure out what I was doing wrong. If your ship is in hover mode, then it can still travel 30 m/s. That's a bit over 67 miles/hour for Americans. And it can do that in weird spinning motions if you're not expecting it, with the throttle set to ... what you might think is 0 m/s. I don't know if that was what affected you but it's certainly what caused me to crash into a few mountains till I figured it out.

Reactions: Bambooza

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I agree we should still have control over directional thrusters up to their max thrust at the risk of burning them up if they overheat.

Reactions: Vavrik

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
hmm, that might work. I didn't try accelerating down, just up, which didn't do a thing. As soon as the ship realized it was in space, it fixed. It just took a while to get there.

I think CIG needs to look at their "Distance to vacuum". On Earth for example, it's around 100,000 Feet. That's 30,000 meters or thereabouts. It's not actual vacuum but it's close enough. 100,000 meters is a little high. It doesn't "turn off" suddenly either but whatever... as long as it applies to all players in all ships, I'm good.
yeah, 100,000 meters is ... way over the top. I'm not sure if they really want to do a 1/6 scale for leaving the atmosphere...considering that NASA considers you to be an astronaut if you go over 50 miles up, about 250,000 feet, they could go with about half that, round it, and call it 40-50,000 meters. Hell, even 60,000 would be a hell of a lot better!

Reactions: Bambooza and Vavrik

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
yeah, 100,000 meters is ... way over the top. I'm not sure if they really want to do a 1/6 scale for leaving the atmosphere...considering that NASA considers you to be an astronaut if you go over 50 miles up, about 250,000 feet, they could go with about half that, round it, and call it 40-50,000 meters. Hell, even 60,000 would be a hell of a lot better!
CIG seems to have an interesting view of the physics, but as long as everyone gets the same altitude, it's fine. BTW the face down thing worked to get me out of hover mode. I was able to make back most of my losses in 2 trips. I should be able to buy armor by this weekend assuming the physics of real life don't screw me over.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
well, you make your ship level before switching to 3rd person view...
Then you need to turn a bit and you don't know where your cursor is pointing. :)

For the record I've had no problem yet, just playing Devilled Advocat.

Reactions: Vavrik and Bambooza

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
It sounds like some of you are having fun at least! I have not upgraded my pc for a few years and it is surprising how little progress this game has made to make me even want to get a pc that can cope (i.e. motherboard SSD). Do people play past the first few days looking at the new stuff? 3.6 looked pretty empty to be honest, the danger of quarterly updates.

• Thump
Reactions: Vavrik

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
It sounds like some of you are having fun at least! I have not upgraded my pc for a few years and it is surprising how little progress this game has made to make me even want to get a pc that can cope (i.e. motherboard SSD). Do people play past the first few days looking at the new stuff? 3.6 looked pretty empty to be honest, the danger of quarterly updates.
I got pretty old pc (4th gen i5 (upgraded to an i7 recently), 16gigs, ordinary sata ssd, gtx1060) and in 1080p it runs 40-60fps fairly consistently. Over the years they at least made things more optimized.

I usually try the new shiny things in ptu, as I don't own more then 3 basic ships. With 3.5 I barely even touched the live release, but with 3.6 I had no time for ptu so I'm planning on playing more.
I find that the main deterrence to prolonged play is not the lack of content, cos there is stuff to do now, and not even the bugs. It's that they reset your character randomly when they patch something between the quarterly releases, so you lose everything sometimes even multiple times in a single week! I don't have 8 hours a day to play and earn my way up to nice ships and Armour on a weekly basis, so it feels like it's just not worth putting any effort and time into it.

MurderingPsycho

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 10, 2018
RSI Handle
Zombie_Bait
The more I use the new flight model, the better I like it compared with the old kindergarten flight model. At least conceptually. It has some bugs, I'm likely to get stuck in VTOL mode more often than not, and some of my ships have view restrictions that make it difficult to tell what you're flying over. That's going to cost a lot, for users doing trade or mining until we have a easily accessible "view down".

Yesterday, I literally flew up to 100,000 meters above Hurston, into orbit basically, before the mode switched. We have no control of it at all, that I've found. Over a certain point, I had no forward or reverse capability at all, just up and down, at 30 m/s. So no it's not perfect, not even close but I like where it's going if they can fix the bugs.
@Vavrik, try pointing the nose strait up and using afterburner. In most ships this seems to kick you out of VTOL pretty quickly (almost immediately in fighters).

MurderingPsycho

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 10, 2018
RSI Handle
Zombie_Bait
lol

First comment: "let's face it : 3.6 is terrible. "

There is no point in engaging in any kind of debate.

These are people that are frustrated, they are angry, let them vent.

Over the years we have seen this cycle play out each and every patch.
Let's face it : Spectrum is terrible. Seriously though, Spectrum really is toxic a lot of the time, even people that agree with each other bitch and complain about each others posts. I avoid it as much as possible, which is unfortunate because this is how CIG takes feedback from us.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
If your ship is in hover mode, then it can still travel 30 m/s.
Have you watched the two vids I posted on acceleration and hover?

IIUC, the reason you seem to have trouble with an astonishingly high hover ceiling is that there is no ceiling. The toggle for hover/no hover does not consider altitude at all. It is just velocity relative to the ground/pad, etc. Each ship has a different flight envelope, and kicks in and out of hover based upon its own characteristsics, but that appears to be determined by velocity alone. So it would not be surprising if you ascended at 30 m/s and never got out of hover. You need to lean forward like flying a chopper and build some horizonatal velocity to kick out of hover.

At least that was my take. . .

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
IIUC, the reason you seem to have trouble with an astonishingly high hover ceiling is that there is no ceiling. The toggle for hover/no hover does not consider altitude at all. It is just velocity relative to the ground/pad, etc. Each ship has a different flight envelope, and kicks in and out of hover based upon its own characteristsics, but that appears to be determined by velocity alone. So it would not be surprising if you ascended at 30 m/s and never got out of hover. You need to lean forward like flying a chopper and build some horizonatal velocity to kick out of hover.
In fact, I had to do a more than 50 degree dive directly toward the ground, for an alarming amount of time. It was not consistent, I had taken off and landed 3 times previously. Also, vertical flight did not work, even 90 degrees, and I even tried a vertical role. No dice. What does work consistently is the dive.
I got it now. All we're asking for is a button to get out of hover mode, or to prevent it from turning on. They already have the button that can tell your ship what you intend to do... it lowers or raises the landing gear.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
We are still years away from a "complete" game. The big "addition" this time is the Law system. This has also started a "black market" system, which people haven't seemed to have figured out yet. (This is frustrating the "I want to do a bunch of Jumptown drug trades and buy a bunch of ships as fast as possible" crowd).

This has other more obvious effects, as you can accept legal missions, or accept illegal missions and get a crime stat. Like before, completing more of either variety gets you up the chain, where you get more "interesting" missions with higher payouts. The difference this time is that there is much more of a police presence, and the police (and stations) will shoot at you if you are a criminal.

Hacking to get rid of your crime stat is also more involved now.

All in all, a bit more depth, but really, not much more. I took about 6 months off, so I'm having a blast; a lot is new to me. I also notice a lot of enhanced details; they are doing a lot to improve it, but it still isn't a complete game.

Reactions: Bambooza and Vavrik

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
All in all, a bit more depth, but really, not much more. I took about 6 months off, so I'm having a blast; a lot is new to me. I also notice a lot of enhanced details; they are doing a lot to improve it, but it still isn't a complete game.
No it's not a complete game yet ... but SC is largely what you make of it. With what they have now, I can stay interested for about a month, longer if I limit game time to just weekends. Maybe 2 months if I stretch it.

I still have a major disadvantage in combat, but I'm finally starting to get better at it. It's been an incredibly long road.

Reactions: Bambooza

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
All we're asking for is a button to get out of hover mode, or to prevent it from turning on. They already have the button that can tell your ship what you intend to do... it lowers or raises the landing gear.
They had one and removed it. Consider for a moment why they might have done this.

If you are flying a bird that needs serious horizontal motion to break hover, lets say like the Vanguards; and you flip the switch to turn off hover before you have adequate velocity, your ship ought to instantly crash. That is what we ought to expect would happen if you can turn off hover. Ships would constantly be stalling and crashing. So are you really sure having the switch would be an advanatage? I think if you had one, you'd certainly avoid the issues you see, but you'd have other issues--mostly lethal ones.

It is going to be important to relate the new acceleration dynamic (see the vid!), and the new hover dynamic, to atmospheric performance dynamics coming in the near future. So I think it is hasty to say whether what we see is a good or bad idea. It ought to be very difficult to hover in a Vanguard, but that bird ought to have huge performance benefits due to the wings in atmo flight. The Prowler OTOH, ought to perform quickly and easily in hover, but have huge challenges in atmo.

I think the difficulties we're seeing are related to these future dynamics expectations. Some birds are going to be harder to fly in some situations, and easier in others. There's no way around this if flying itself is going to be challenging and rewarding.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
In fact, I had to do a more than 50 degree dive directly toward the ground, for an alarming amount of time. It was not consistent, I had taken off and landed 3 times previously. Also, vertical flight did not work, even 90 degrees, and I even tried a vertical role. No dice. What does work consistently is the dive.
I got it now. All we're asking for is a button to get out of hover mode, or to prevent it from turning on. They already have the button that can tell your ship what you intend to do... it lowers or raises the landing gear.
I heared somewhere they have added Component Degradation and Thruster Missfires so this may answer why it's not consistent. If I wanted a vehicle that degraded i'd try to drive my car (the breaks are now dead and it is officially unsafe to drive as it failed it's MOT).

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
I heared somewhere they have added Component Degradation and Thruster Missfires so this may answer why it's not consistent. If I wanted a vehicle that degraded i'd try to drive my car (the breaks are now dead and it is officially unsafe to drive as it failed it's MOT).
That would explain all those weird warnings I've been getting about "Thrusters Surging" and other weird malfunctions. Too bad repairs on the pad seem to be bugged, and repairing yourself isn't in the game!

Forgot your password?