The New Sabre : Comet

Vimes

Captain
Dec 6, 2015
RSI Handle
VIIMES
Hey all, ive been thinking about getting a Sabre since it was first announced, havent pulled the trigger on the purchase so far tough, my question is, would you buy the old or new Sabre once they come out on sale? pros and cons? i cant seem to find enough information on the Comet to be able to make a proper choice really.

Some say the Comet is more focused for dogfighting, i guess that is solely based on the different arms layout with the shotguns? you have to get closer but you do more damage aswell?

What would you do, buy the new one or the old one?

And if i buy the new one, the comet, will i be able to fly it once 2.6 is released? and if not will i get a regular Sabre as a filler untill the Comet is out?

Alot of questions! :D i hope someone can provide some feedback!

MikeNificent

Space Marshal
Sep 24, 2016
RSI Handle
MikeNificent
I tried out quite a few fighters before I settled on the Sabre. It's officially my favorite fighter. Once I decided it was the fighter for me, I picked one up. Using REC, I have changed the loadout over and over and over to see what I like. I settled on two Badger CF-227s and 2 Series 11 Broadswords. Love it. Anyway, It's easy and costs nothing (as long as you earn the REC in EA). If you're a sub, you get lots of REC also, which costs a little money.

Point is, @Thugari is absolutely correct: Get the fancy schmancy paint job. I can't find any straight answers as to whether or not the ship will be ready to fly in 2.6 (but I think so, since they were playing 2.6 on the stream). What I can tell you is that just like all of the other ship mods that aren't out yet, you will get the regular version to fly until the release of your version (Edit: did some forum trolling and a guy that bought the Gladius Valiant did NOT get a loaner Gladius. Not sure if this is short term glitch or what, but be prepared for that eventuality).

Enjoy the ship!

Edit: I forgot to add that I will be upgrading to the new one when it goes on sale :slight_smile:

Last edited:

Fade691

Space Marshal
Donor
Dec 25, 2015
RSI Handle
Fade691
Agreed that $15 for basically a new skin is a bad deal when different skins are available now for aurora and the greycat at $5, not sure if the $5 will continue to be what skins are offered for as they go forward or not. But another thing to consider in this is that you get 4 of the scatterguns that would cost you $65 to purchase for your inventory otherwise.. question is do you plan on using these scatterguns or are you gonna have to rent or purchase another loadout?

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
Agreed that $15 for basically a new skin is a bad deal when different skins are available now for aurora and the greycat at $5, not sure if the $5 will continue to be what skins are offered for as they go forward or not. But another thing to consider in this is that you get 4 of the scatterguns that would cost you $65 to purchase for your inventory otherwise.. question is do you plan on using these scatterguns or are you gonna have to rent or purchase another loadout?
I am going to be working an stocking a variety of weapons and equipment for my ships anyway. so variety will always be there for me.

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
The new one, it has LTI and hopefully some extra mounts like the Gladius Valiant has.
I think the Valiant was an attempt to make the Gladius relevant again. Right now, the skies are filled with Super Hornets and Sabres. It looks like a pretty decent upgrade but time will tell.

The other variants like the comet, wildfire, and renegade are supposedly just skins and a different loadout. They talked about it briefly in the livestream (I think). They said that the loadout was different, but underneath that was just a stock ship. So, it's mainly about the skin from what I understand

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
I think the Valiant was an attempt to make the Gladius relevant again.
A few extra missiles don't make it "relevant again", some extra firepower would make it "relevant".
The Gladius is good at what it is intended to be, an agile light fighter. It would be a bad thing if a light fighter with the same skills as a medium fighter (Gladius and Sabre) would be competitive :wink:.

Pander

Space Marshal
Jan 3, 2015
RSI Handle
Pander22
Meh a boring fighter that everyone will have and not very inspired looking either it's just a normal fighter jet. What puts me off is its so good (just now it will be but in pu not as useful imo due to range hopefully) if you have a carrier to take it around in it will be amazing it's just such a boring ship. will you really love it?

This of course isy opinion on the saber and I've always had this underdog mentality

I have a few paintball guns one top of the line new, efficoent, quiet,accurate & smoothe

And my favourite that's broken and hard to find parts for and makes this lovely metallic ping due to a metal bolt head instead of rubber and gets half the ahots, but it's gorgeous and needs constant work and whenever it take it out I have a big smile on my face and people on the field know her by name and want shots for a game or on the range. This to me applies to star citizen are you getting this ship because it's the best and want to win or do you want to work for it and have fun with something you love

This is my 2p on a saber

But to answer your questions haha a saber you would def get to fly if you got comet but not sure if the skins and weapons will be implemented I assume they would be because we saw it in action on live stream

hardroc77

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 27, 2015
RSI Handle
hardroc77
Yes it is...

<sigh> ...and yes I will.
Agreed. I'll probably do the same. And then when the game goes live, I'll probably spend another $15.00 to get a different skin.
Unless we can do an Org skin. Then I'd be willing to pay x times that to get a Test Skin.

Or maybe not. Maybe Test should pay us to advertise for them??
Nah what am I thinking. Glory to the Org!

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
15 dollar difference? Brutal.
Oh man you are going to love the Hornet Wildfire then.

F7-C ( NOT SUPER) Hornet with a Ball Turret and better stock Voyager direct weapons forrrrr

170 dollars, maybe a hair less with the WAR BOND discount. 60 more bucks than the vanilla F-7C.

So for 5 more dollars than the Super Hornet you lose the 2nd seat and the larger power plant.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Oh man you are going to love the Hornet Wildfire then.

F7-C ( NOT SUPER) Hornet with a Ball Turret and better stock Voyager direct weapons forrrrr

170 dollars
Damn!!!! I was hoping that the Wildfire would be a variant of the Super Hornet, Ball turret suggested it, but I missed the 2nd seat. :worried:

Grimm_Reaper

Space Marshal
May 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Grimm_Reaper
I missed out on the original Sabre LTI sale. The one I have is a ccu one. So I definately will be getting this version at it will have the LTI and hangar models. Also this version might not come out on sale again as they are doing a special anniversary promotion to honor whoever.

I don't think anyone flies the original Sabre with the standard loadout anyways lol. This would be no different though if it comes with some nice standard loadouts that would be a plus

I do have a polaris so this is a definite plus to have for me. I may acquire the 890J if it does not have a ridiculous price tag with no LTI and if not no probs just get 2 Genesis starliners instead to fuel my industrial conquests.

Forgot your password?