The New Sabre : Comet

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Oh man you are going to love the Hornet Wildfire then.

F7-C ( NOT SUPER) Hornet with a Ball Turret and better stock Voyager direct weapons forrrrr

170 dollars, maybe a hair less with the WAR BOND discount. 60 more bucks than the vanilla F-7C.

So for 5 more dollars than the Super Hornet you lose the 2nd seat and the larger power plant.
Oh yippee skippy. hahah

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
If you like the load outs of these variants one of the advantages of buying the variant is the gear i.e. weopons also get LTI.

BubbleKing

Grand Admiral
Feb 26, 2015
RSI Handle
BubbleKing
I say get the new Sabre for LTI.

However, I want to make sure everyone realizes the Sabre's shields are currently bugged right? Yes, the Sabre is a good ship but it won't always be the unkillable king of dogfighting that it is now. Just felt compelled to chime in after some Sabre love in this thread.

Carry on!

A.Santos

Space Marshal
Donor
Mar 6, 2016
RSI Handle
A_Santos
I think il keep my old rusty saber. skins will come later anyway and loadout will change all depending on the task you need to perform

Last edited:

atpbx

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2016
RSI Handle
General Fisting
I have picked one up.

I love the Sabre, but only had a CCud one from a P72.

I like having the original packages, so for 15 dollars more, I'm happy.

188Octane

Sabre Addict
Jun 2, 2016
RSI Handle
188Octane
Hey all, ive been thinking about getting a Sabre since it was first announced, havent pulled the trigger on the purchase so far tough, my question is, would you buy the old or new Sabre once they come out on sale? pros and cons? i cant seem to find enough information on the Comet to be able to make a proper choice really.

Some say the Comet is more focused for dogfighting, i guess that is solely based on the different arms layout with the shotguns? you have to get closer but you do more damage aswell?

What would you do, buy the new one or the old one?

And if i buy the new one, the comet, will i be able to fly it once 2.6 is released? and if not will i get a regular Sabre as a filler untill the Comet is out?

Alot of questions! :smile: i hope someone can provide some feedback!
I'm a huge Sabre fan; with the two comets I just bought, I have four all together. The Comet is essentially the same ship with a different skin and shotguns. With the shotguns, you do have to get closer, but you can hit at a decent range because of the scatter, your damage fall-off is just pretty high. Zoom in, blast with the shottys and devastate whatever dares to challenge you. All the new variants are supposed to be flyable in 2.6; I would assume they would give you a loaner hornet until it's flyable. As for which to buy, I think it depends on your intended use. If you want an all purpose ship from the get-go, I'd say go stock Sabre. If you want a fun dog-fighter that needs to be careful about getting TO the battle, go Sabre Comet plus you can always equip either model with a load-out you prefer either using real cash or in-game earned currency later. You'll likely be happy either way.

weapons are interchangeable. I would say get the new one with the camo skin. You can always tweak your weapons around to get to the playstyle you like
Yeah, I agree. Plus you have nifty shotguns to use which aren't that cheap to get otherwise.

...It's officially my favorite fighter. Once I decided it was the fighter for me, I picked one up. Using REC, I have changed the loadout over and over and over to see what I like. I settled on two Badger CF-227s and 2 Series 11 Broadswords. Love it.

...I can't find any straight answers as to whether or not the ship will be ready to fly in 2.6 (but I think so, since they were playing 2.6 on the stream). What I can tell you is that just like all of the other ship mods that aren't out yet, you will get the regular version to fly until the release of your version (Edit: did some forum trolling and a guy that bought the Gladius Valiant did NOT get a loaner Gladius. Not sure if this is short term glitch or what, but be prepared for that eventuality).

Enjoy the ship!

Edit: I forgot to add that I will be upgrading to the new one when it goes on sale :slight_smile:
It's my favorite SHIP, let alone fighter. I'm super curious to try your load-out; I've been happy with the 4x Panthers myself. Supposedly (and unless something goes awry) all the new variant ships are going to be flyable at 2.6. The loaners for the new ships are supposedly Hornets.

Not-An-Actual-Edit (on my part): It's on sale now ;3

But what's special about it other than the paint job?
It comes with a different weapon loadout; namely the pyroburst shotguns (which are expensive otherwise and not purchased with REC)

15 dollar difference? Brutal.
It's $15 for a different skin and granted you don't get the stock sabre loadout, you do get pyrobursts, which cost $ otherwise; so $15 ain't bad.

Agreed that $15 for basically a new skin is a bad deal when different skins are available now for aurora and the greycat at $5, not sure if the $5 will continue to be what skins are offered for as they go forward or not. But another thing to consider in this is that you get 4 of the scatterguns that would cost you $65 to purchase for your inventory otherwise.. question is do you plan on using these scatterguns or are you gonna have to rent or purchase another loadout?
It's a good question; what do you want to do with it. I WANT the scatterguns for the fun of it (this is TEST after all) and the extra $15 over base for those and a nifty skin is a reasonable cost to me; fun tax.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I checked that out, and YES. You do get one. At least there is one In my hangar now.
I would assume so, but you may want to double check. The Sabre is one of the most common "free fly" ships they give you.

I'm sure it's fine though.

Carlos Spicyweiner

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2015
RSI Handle
DMGunslinger
I say get the new Sabre for LTI.

However, I want to make sure everyone realizes the Sabre's shields are currently bugged right? Yes, the Sabre is a good ship but it won't always be the unkillable king of dogfighting that it is now. Just felt compelled to chime in after some Sabre love in this thread.

Carry on!
"unkillable king of dogfighting?" What the hell is wrong with mine then?! Or why didn't anyone tell me I suck at dogfighting?!(just kidding, I knew it all along). I think the Sabre, as is, floats like a butterfly and stings like a bee. But if I hang around a fight too long, it is inevitable that I'm going to get my clock cleaned. So, my tactical thinking is, equip ANY fighter I unfortunately find myself in with the biggest, scariest guns that will fit, and the smartest missiles. When I run into trouble, I'm going to fire everything at once, scream, and quantum jump out of there, forsaking honor and dignity.

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
"unkillable king of dogfighting?" What the hell is wrong with mine then?! Or why didn't anyone tell me I suck at dogfighting?!(just kidding, I knew it all along). I think the Sabre, as is, floats like a butterfly and stings like a bee. But if I hang around a fight too long, it is inevitable that I'm going to get my clock cleaned. So, my tactical thinking is, equip ANY fighter I unfortunately find myself in with the biggest, scariest guns that will fit, and the smartest missiles. When I run into trouble, I'm going to fire everything at once, scream, and quantum jump out of there, forsaking honor and dignity.
careful, an attitude like that will get you promoted from a redshirt to a gold one.

MikeNificent

Space Marshal
Sep 24, 2016
RSI Handle
MikeNificent
Just got to my computer after work/traffic/working out/shower/dinner AND I am AT LEAST one Sabre Comet poorer. More like one Comet Warbond minus a melted normal Sabre plus a 85x to Prospector plus a 85x to DUR + another 85x because they are kind of cool and I might want the LTI token later. Now I need to talk myself out of buying something I reeeeeeeeeeeeally don't need during the rest of this sale :)

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Just got to my computer after work/traffic/working out/shower/dinner AND I am AT LEAST one Sabre Comet poorer. More like one Comet Warbond minus a melted normal Sabre plus a 85x to Prospector plus a 85x to DUR + another 85x because they are kind of cool and I might want the LTI token later. Now I need to talk myself out of buying something I reeeeeeeeeeeeally don't need during the rest of this sale :slight_smile:
Hahahaha

Forgot your password?