16 GB vs 32 GB ram

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
I dont know if anyone already said this but it seems to use up a percentage of your ram. I had 16GB and it was about the same percentage used as when I moved to 32GB. As for performance I saw no huge difference. The bigger difference for me was what speed I ran my ram at, but I am on first gen ryzen and that actually makes a difference period.

LoicFarris

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 1, 2019
RSI Handle
LoicFarris
Here is an argument I haven’t seen here so far: Using an SSD as your pagefile a lot will greatly decrease its lifetime. 32GB RAM will result in much less swapping, and hence a much longer lasting SSD.
That's a good point I didn't think of that.

I dont know if anyone already said this but it seems to use up a percentage of your ram. I had 16GB and it was about the same percentage used as when I moved to 32GB. As for performance I saw no huge difference. The bigger difference for me was what speed I ran my ram at, but I am on first gen ryzen and that actually makes a difference period.
So that brings up a good point. My system defaulted my RAM to 2133 MHz vs. its actual speed of 4133 MHz. It seems that it's common for main-boards to default RAM speed to 2133 according to Tom's Hardware and I literally just adjusted mine to its actual speed... as I was typing this post, nearly 3 years after building this system...

LoicFarris

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 1, 2019
RSI Handle
LoicFarris
As a followup I had to reduce my clock from 4133 back to 2133, my system became too unstable and SC wouldn't even load. I did try and successfully ran at 3100 but I had the system crash on reboot a few times in post. Here's the RAM & main-board in case anybody has any advice on how to get the speed out of this thing.

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I saw this pop up & it reminded me of a video that I watched recently that discusses some holiday sales that popped back up since the Black Friday sales.

Here's the Link that they supply pertaining to RAM.

Newegg Ram 32GB DDR4 3200

Even though this might not help much, if you can afford the upgrade to improve potential aspects of things, then how much would it be worth to you?

Szioul

Space Marshal
Oct 21, 2016
RSI Handle
Szioul
As a followup I had to reduce my clock from 4133 back to 2133, my system became too unstable and SC wouldn't even load. I did try and successfully ran at 3100 but I had the system crash on reboot a few times in post. Here's the RAM & main-board in case anybody has any advice on how to get the speed out of this thing.
Are there any other XMP options than 4133? If there are, try some slower ones. Also, have you checked whether that kit is on the QVL for that motherboard? The picture you posted doesn't have the actual part number.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Sayora

Grand Admiral
Donor
Oct 23, 2018
RSI Handle
Sayora
Reading a lot in here and sadly I'm no closer to having a clue if it's worth the $$ to upgrade or not. 🤣

I'd be happy to run some performance monitoring tools on my PC at some point, I'm not home otherwise I'd get a few screen shots of my utilization. To be honest if I went from 16GB to 32GB of RAM I'd expect a noticeable improvement in performance.

Basically I can run SC, Discord, Brave (A Chrome based browser 1-3 tabs), OBS (Live Streaming or Recording) and have absolutely no issues at all. I've never had an out of memory error from SC before with one exception, I forgot to completely close out of Destiny 2 once when starting SC. All that being said, I am from a more "old school" IT Background and I only run what I need, very little is started automatically and my PC gets fully powered off when it's not in use. I have found, but have not kept any empirical evidence, that this tends to extend the build of my Windows install and result in overall smoother performance.

I just made the upgrade from 16gb, to 32gb. And I can say I saw no real changes in performance. In fact, despite all the extra memory, SC/Discord/Browser even open I am just hitting 15gb memory used. I was a bit disappointed, honestly!

PeppaPigKilla

Admiral
Sep 15, 2019
RSI Handle
PeppaPigKilla
I'm considering upgrading the system ram to 32 GB and wondering how much of a difference it would make for SC game performance.
Didn't read the many posts after op because i have an answer.

Makes a huge difference ( I don't experience issues that plague the reddit ) and from what i can tell most of the people who have issue have 16GB

Reactions: Blind Owl and Xious

Bordin234

Space Marshal
Dec 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Bordin232
From what I have experienced and this is just me saying this you can have decent ram 32 gb and a decent video card gtx 1080 and still have issues with lag. What I did is upgrade my ssd to a samsung evo 970 plus and that has helped alot, I have played on max settings the entire time and just a small upgrade like this has increased load times and frame rate alot. I know alot of people play with 16gb of ram and do not have any performance issues.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
When possible & over time I'm looking to save up to purchase & build a Threadripper system for the sake of starting up working from home. The 1st thing that I purchased with my stimulus check was a ton of learn to code e-books & software that I know the programs are still being used in various businesses. I managed to find a number of sales & promotions to drastically reduce the cost thankfully. I'd also love to get back into designing things with programs like AutoCADD again. If I can make money in the process of aiming to improve myself intelligence wise, all the better. If the system can also do a damn good job at running SC as well, digital icing on the cake.

Forgot your password?