2.4 to Evocati Tester!

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
This is the new pre-PTU process. It's been called a short testing phase to get the initial bugs out. So we might see 2.4 in a week or so. (Hopefully less)

And because I never get tired of this meme!
PF1Fj0R.gif

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
If they get loadout persistence and Alpha UEC to purchase weapons, (AND DITCH THE HOLOTABLE, I HATE THAT THING), this might be the patch that actually makes me play more than an hour or two per patch.

The AlphaPU/Miniverse is alright, but it gets old really quick, especially when most of your ships are buggy messes or not flight (or hangar) ready. Being able to earn money from bounties, completed missions, maybe cargo runs too, and purchasing semi-permanent FPS/Ship upgrades would go a lot towards making there feel like a point to it all.

EDIT: Some better netcode and hit registration would be the icing on the cake, because when it's bad right now, it's baaaaaaad.

Last edited:

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
If they get loadout persistence and Alpha UEC to purchase weapons, (AND DITCH THE HOLOTABLE, I HATE THAT THING), this might be the patch that actually makes me play more than an hour or two per patch.

The AlphaPU/Miniverse is alright, but it gets old really quick, especially when most of your ships are buggy messes or not flight (or hangar) ready. Being able to earn money from bounties, completed missions, maybe cargo runs too, and purchasing semi-permanent FPS/Ship upgrades would go a lot towards making there feel like a point to it all.
Amen. That is all.

Rainshine

Captain
Donor
Nov 13, 2014
RSI Handle
RainingLight
Honestly, I feel this alpha testing is getting out of hand. First, we have the alpha game, to test for bugs. Then, they released a pre-alpha PTU to test for bugs before we could test for bugs. Honestly, I thought it was ridiculous at that point as well. Now, they have a focus test group of NDA testers to test the pre-alpha PTU test patch for bugs before the pre-alpha PTU folks can test for bugs so that the alpha client can be updated so we can test for bugs?!?

Patch 2.5 announcement: We've decided to create a Top Secret team of pre-Nda/Nds Pre-Alpha Ptu Test-Test-Test team to test for bugs before Evocati can test for bugs before PTU can test for bugs before you all can test for bugs.

giphy234.gif

Mog_No_1

Captain
Donor
May 3, 2016
RSI Handle
What he said

They just need to do it and move on to the next aspect for implementation. Maybe the issue here is there in no deadline, my limited understanding is the original deadline for release was well overrun with no real replacement release date. Maybe this is a failure in the crowd funding movement as they wont run out of money unlike the usual avenues most games go through, if they overshoot and blow out like this then the whole entire venture might get pulled. Thats certainly more of an incentive for people to pull their finger out and get it done. Im newer than most to SC and I'm guessing it must be getting frustrating for the people that were there at the beginning, been a long time.

Rainshine

Captain
Donor
Nov 13, 2014
RSI Handle
RainingLight
What he said

They just need to do it and move on to the next aspect for implementation. Maybe the issue here is there in no deadline, my limited understanding is the original deadline for release was well overrun with no real replacement release date. Maybe this is a failure in the crowd funding movement as they wont run out of money unlike the usual avenues most games go through, if they overshoot and blow out like this then the whole entire venture might get pulled. Thats certainly more of an incentive for people to pull their finger out and get it done. Im newer than most to SC and I'm guessing it must be getting frustrating for the people that were there at the beginning, been a long time.
Well, what I might think on it is unpopular, but that's alright. Healthy discussion is good!

I've been pledged since around early 2013 IIRC. I watched the game grow off of kickstarter and bloom. I knew I was in for the long haul. The project in the works now is quite dissimilar from what was originally pitched but that's perfectly okay! Some other users take affront to that, but honestly, it's the nature of crowdfunding with milestones and unlocks. Honestly, I prefer the game today than what was pitched as it's actually pushing the envelope in game design.

HOWEVER...I do think that the way CIG has decided to go about releases, and their general closed-door developement of SQ42, is a poor choice. While I'm certainly not asking for 100% transparent design, I do feel that the backers deserve a bit more look into the actual current state of the game, rather than little teases and spoilers. While they still stick to the party line of "SQ42 in Q4 of 2016", I find it harder and harder to believe, particularly since they're so completely clamped up about it.

I still support CIG, but it's getting harder and harder to be fully invested in SC's future the more they push off deadlines. What was once pitched as being completed in 2014 has swelled so magnificently that I'd raise my eyebrows in surprise if it was released before Q4 2017. Not to mention the absolute SLOUGH of content that needs to be completed for an actual hard release of the PU end-state. This has been somewhat answered with a flippy-floppy "we're doing a soft-launch as the PU is technically launched" type response that I was not pleased to hear.

Anyways, sorry for the wall of text, but as the months and years drag on, it's becoming increasingly difficult to be a CIG fanboi. It was so easy just a year ago, now I have to really try and maintain my optimism. BUT, perhaps 2.4 will renew my faith if it's as magnificent and game-changing as it's pitched to be...and God knows it'll be nice to finally fly my Reliant :p

Mog_No_1

Captain
Donor
May 3, 2016
RSI Handle
@Rainshine chin up buddy, I totally get what your saying, there is alot of built up frustration there and I'm positive you wouldn't be alone. Atleast there are groups like this to help pass the time and vent when you feel you need to so you dont get to the point of packing it in when the end of the road is in sight.

Soven Taliesyn

Space Marshal
Aug 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Soven-Taliesyn
The way to look at it is this, you "donated" your monies to CIG which in turn gave you a digital something to play with for a while. When you pledge there's no guarantee that they'll ever finish since you aren't paying for a completed game but, you ARE donating to a more than worthy cause.

I personally haven't been on in quite some time. I'll check it out when I see something I want to play around with. Currently, with weather warming up I've been outside with yard work or riding motorcycle.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
The AlphaPU/Miniverse is alright, but it gets old really quick, especially when most of your ships are buggy messes or not flight (or hangar) ready.
I feel yang. I really should log in just to get better at flying though.

Now, they have a focus test group of NDA testers to test the pre-alpha PTU test patch for bugs before the pre-alpha PTU folks can test for bugs so that the alpha client can be updated so we can test for bugs?!?
The idea of the PTU is good that it allows for testing of game breaking bugs before rolling it into the PU and possibly making the game unplayable and therefore useless.

The whole Evocaii thing is really a product of open development. They've said time and again that this is Alpha and a work in progress, but saying that doesn't stop people from bitching incessantly about bugs and broken gameplay. So they added another step to help alleviate the huge bugs they can't find before PTU.

It'd all work out if people quite complaining about "mah spaasships!" The instant a new patch drops.

Anyways, sorry for the wall of text, but as the months and years drag on, it's becoming increasingly difficult to be a CIG fanboi. It was so easy just a year ago, now I have to really try and maintain my optimism. BUT, perhaps 2.4 will renew my faith if it's as magnificent and game-changing as it's pitched to be...and God knows it'll be nice to finally fly my Reliant :p
I've only joined the bandwagon since 2.0 so I still have a lot of faith, but it is tempered by "this game will take much more time." But just think of what they've done in such a short time since even 2.0! Sure, the PU isn't mind-bogglingly different, but they've done a TON of stuff on the backend.

Procedural Planets, Physicalized EVA, Damage States, Components, some balancing (?).

I have no doubt 2.4 will bring great things, but I wouldn't get your hopes up about being as huge as they're hunting. I think their excitement over the game is for all of Persistance and they're getting a little carried away by it instead of realizing that 2.4 is only the beginning.

This year will be great for SC, so try not to get too discouraged by the next few patches not being the redemption you're looking for.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I feel yang. I really should log in just to get better at flying though.

The idea of the PTU is good that it allows for testing of game breaking bugs before rolling it into the PU and possibly making the game unplayable and therefore useless.

The whole Evocaii thing is really a product of open development. They've said time and again that this is Alpha and a work in progress, but saying that doesn't stop people from bitching incessantly about bugs and broken gameplay. So they added another step to help alleviate the huge bugs they can't find before PTU.

It'd all work out if people quite complaining about "mah spaasships!" The instant a new patch drops.

I've only joined the bandwagon since 2.0 so I still have a lot of faith, but it is tempered by "this game will take much more time." But just think of what they've done in such a short time since even 2.0! Sure, the PU isn't mind-bogglingly different, but they've done a TON of stuff on the backend.

Procedural Planets, Physicalized EVA, Damage States, Components, some balancing (?).

I have no doubt 2.4 will bring great things, but I wouldn't get your hopes up about being as huge as they're hunting. I think their excitement over the game is for all of Persistance and they're getting a little carried away by it instead of realizing that 2.4 is only the beginning.

This year will be great for SC, so try not to get too discouraged by the next few patches not being the redemption you're looking for.
Preach it brother Grimbli! I concur with you, ever so strongly. How have we not been drinking buddies before now?

Forgot your password?