3.0 schedule update 291bugs/tasks

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
So they've updated schedule page and now there is 291 issues where 57 are bugs and 234 are tasks. Not sure what do they mean by tasks, any ideas?
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report
This is total speculation on my part, only guessing here!

Maybe, Tasks are tasks that are already clear and "only" need to be completed. Like "task #486525: change code of mission giver from xyz to fgh"
Some of these might not be bugs at all, just stuff that needs to be done, like tweaking an already working system to work a bit better, or more conveniently.

Bugs probably means that they know there is an issue, in this case, probably a serious one, but not sure yet what's causing it and how to fix it and needs research. They have to come up with a solution before it can be turned into a "task" for someone to complete.
Tasks are probably the easier/faster part.

Phantomoftruth

Space Marshal
Feb 14, 2016
RSI Handle
PhantomofTruth
Tasks are likely actions to take unrelated to bugs, such as polish.

ex.
"Lots of polish this week, primarily with Ruto. Subtitles were split into smaller, timed sections and security cameras were added to his shop to sell the idea that Ruto is “watching” you. We identified some more tech dependencies that are currently being handled by the AI Team."

In looking through the 3.0 PS Report, this is a better example of Task to Bug. During 'Burndown' there was discussion of ETF becoming unstable and they were working to make it more stable. Technically, not a bug, just work to make something that works, work better.

perf.PNG

Last edited:
Reactions: Deroth and Zookajoe

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
A task, is an assignable unit of work related to meeting the software's (user) requirements. CIG is tracking bugs and outstanding tasks independently. More about that below. It's important to realize... the total number of bugs and tasks outstanding does not impede the software from being released. The release Go/No Go is hinged on the total number of outstanding bugs that exceed a certain priority. CIG has, it seems, drawn the line at "No Medium priority bugs", which is common among software products being released for the general public.

the "more": There's something though, in the numbers on the website. For example, the Missions Epic (or functional area) has 11 bugs listed, and a completion of 13%. That does not mean that 1.43 bugs has been completed. The way I read it, each bug may itself generate tasks, and of the tasks that these bugs generate, 13% are completed. There are 76 other tasks related to requirements, of which 66 are completed (rounds to 87% which is displayed).

So yeah, Nothing beer can't fix, but I'd say that coffee would be a better Beveridge for the development team. Or Red Bull. 5 hour energy... Whips and chains... oh. Never mind, that last part. Wrong kind of software.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Your assumption is correct, but know that if the task is not deemed to be on the must have item list, then it does not impact the go/no-go decision.

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy
They should just get an exterminator and spray the nasty bugs.

You have to tell people how to do the simplest things these days.

Reactions: Bambooza

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
Well i do hope its worth it, no content for over a year and the last was star marine woohoo. The update must be much more complicated than the limited aditional gameplay they are adding else one person is on bug fixes. I do wonder what bollocks will come out before the november sale to encourage yet more spend.

Reactions: Takeiteasy

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Well i do hope its worth it, no content for over a year and the last was star marine woohoo. The update must be much more complicated than the limited aditional gameplay they are adding else one person is on bug fixes. I do wonder what bollocks will come out before the november sale to encourage yet more spend.
Delta patcher would have been big. Chaining hard coding into something which can accept changes to only certain parts of it is pretty huge.

Ground vehicles and the ground for them to go on would have been big too. And moons. They are going to have 3x hooooj moons which will be moon sized. they'll be big.

Considering open-world maps in things like GTA and Skyrim are only teeny fractions of what they are aiming for in SC where if you see it you can reach it on planets and literally millions of square KM per system that you can fly through (just because there is nothing in most of the void of space doesn't mean you can't fly in it) it's all pretty big...

We have had the Arenas which were Technical Demos and Crusader which thinking about it may have been a proof-of-concept rather than an actual level in the PU given the moons were not visitable and the scale of the system had not been finalised, I think the one thing you'll be able to say about 3.0 is that it'll be BIG.

Add to that Cargo, persistent shop purchases, potentially when it lands we'll be saying "hot damn how did they manage to fit all this in in just a year?"

Thats what i'm hoping for, anyway.

Fingergs crossed.

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
Look most games have a delta patcher its not that uber. Having a huge planet to explore is on the surface great but actually they will have to add content just like all other games or do you think its enough just to fly around and look? Why is it such a big deal. Loads of games have you riding cars and bikes so again whats the big deal?

Reactions: Takeiteasy

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Look most games have a delta patcher its not that uber. Having a huge planet to explore is on the surface great but actually they will have to add content just like all other games or do you think its enough just to fly around and look? Why is it such a big deal. Loads of games have you riding cars and bikes so again whats the big deal?
Loads of games have been built by the time you get to try these things.

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
Yeah and they have had years to do just that. People make out its all new when it isnt.

Planets being so large is a real problem for content but even so I hope the pioneer will help. Imagine having the whole moon as a map to explore? You might land a few times check a few ore samples but mainly your going to fly around it because of the scale.

Forgot your password?