3.0 Testing 60 players per server!

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
This is actually really good news. Most other games support somewhere between 40 and 100 players per server instance, so this sounds like middle of the road right now, and they're not done yet.

What I'd like to see is the way they implement shards, but the main thing I learned doing cloud based architecture is, take baby steps, one at a time.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Is it safe to post 3.0 stuff here? I have video for it but I'm scared of higher-ups.
Don't post anything that is covered by an NDS that CIG hasn't released. It's just not worth it for you, for the rest of us we'll probably see it in a month or three anyway.

Stevetank

Lead Aurora Theorycrafter
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
We are still light years away from the thousands of players per instance. Also Ark supports 120 players which is a survival game so not sure how getting to 60 players moves them out of that game style. I still feel that the game is 10 years away from being released.
We also need the technology to be passed from server to server so that we can flow through the instances seamlessly :)

Bigcracker

Space Marshal
Feb 2, 2015
RSI Handle
Bigcracker8789
Reactions: EpilepticCricket

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
We are still light years away from the thousands of players per instance. Also Ark supports 120 players which is a survival game so not sure how getting to 60 players moves them out of that game style. I still feel that the game is 10 years away from being released.
Long post. Most sentient part is in first paragraph below. Yes, Vav is a geek.

Maybe I can explain. What CIG is doing right now has nothing to do with how many players the PTU will support. But it does have a bearing on the total cost and the architecture they ultimately implement. For example, in 2.6.3, the game barely supports something like 30 users - so if you know how much AWS charges for your server model and network throughput for each user, you can do the math to figure out how much it will cost to support 1000 users, or a million users. It's almost linear. What CIG is doing by working on the network efficiency, is basically lowering their costs to provide the optimum user experience. If they can support 60 users per server, their costs will be something like half of what they would be with 30 users per server. If they can eek another 40 users out of that, then less than 1/3 the cost.

What they need to do in order to provide MMO capability is actually pretty interesting, but almost totally unrelated to their current work. As I see it there are a few options here, using Shard or Realm technology. This is a way of combining multiple game servers (software instances) so that the entire game (the PTU) is modeled in 1 Shard or Realm - but the Shard might be hundreds or thousands of servers combined. Each of the servers manages an area of the universe, or a set of object types, or a number of users (depending on the architecture used). Each of the servers is connected via a communications backplane, which provides updates to all the servers almost simultaneously. This backplane is a service that comes with AWS, so CIG does not need to worry about this. You can also operate multiple shards if you want, or keep growing the servers for a single shard - depending on your application architecture.

In Shard technology though, there are questions about what to do if one of the servers gets overloaded - and basically 3 ways of managing it.
1. Manage player density (Prevent users from entering overloaded game areas)
2. Manage the server frame rate (Eve Online)
3. Manage the space that each server manages, and spin up new servers where the system is overloaded.

Some MMO's use a combination of the first two. Both of these models were invented in the early 2000's, and haven't really been updated for optimizing cloud based games. The third model is enabled by modern cloud based technology, but is quite new.

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
Long post. Most sentient part is in first paragraph below. Yes, Vav is a geek.

Maybe I can explain. What CIG is doing right now has nothing to do with how many players the PTU will support. But it does have a bearing on the total cost and the architecture they ultimately implement. For example, in 2.6.3, the game barely supports something like 30 users - so if you know how much AWS charges for your server model and network throughput for each user, you can do the math to figure out how much it will cost to support 1000 users, or a million users. It's almost linear. What CIG is doing by working on the network efficiency, is basically lowering their costs to provide the optimum user experience. If they can support 60 users per server, their costs will be something like half of what they would be with 30 users per server. If they can eek another 40 users out of that, then less than 1/3 the cost.
I'm not sure if this is the whole truth. Also i can' say much about the practical aspects of instances and programming. But what imagine is that a battle 30 vs 30 players would always need to happen in one instance (Imagine six crewed idris, with dedicated fighters operating in a small area). So unless CIG has some weird kind of "instance creating and transition system" which can transfer data between instances on a very small scale, like every Idris has ist own instance while they move through space

Reactions: EpilepticCricket
Forgot your password?