3.17 IS LIVE!!

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
Oh....my lord. there are so many NPCs wandering around and none of them were standing on furniture. I suspect there is something going on on the backend that they aren't advertising, because it seemed like the NPCs were unburdened from their classic Tick-rate issues.

*Tin foil hats on*
They are testing bits of server meshing by first offloading NPC behaviors/animations to a parallel server. This would explain the NPC's higher rate of responsiveness as well as their new ship-combat desync issues. The soft-launch to work out the kinks before they actually TELL us about it.
*Tin foil hats off*

....or I was just in a REALLY healthy server.

GPcustoms

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 3, 2019
RSI Handle
GPcustom
Incredible first impression. Smooth and fluid on my end.:love:
I did find out that all and I mean all of that loot I have been hording from bunkers was all at Babbage when I took my first baby steps to the sales counter:thump:
Uffffff...I loaded a crap of it on a C2 and took it to MC1? can't remember but it was a faster bit of selling and still barely took a dent from the 152% of inventory at Babbage. Can't even take my helmet off to eat a burger there(thank God for back packs):o7:
Just washed the cars and sitting in the garage pondering a bit of wondering and inventory transfers around the system....Cool:like:

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Spent a couple hours in the game hauling in my A, my thoughts so far :
The good:
Hull A is cute, it works, it's insanely efficient with quantum fuel but eats hydrogen like a Hummer eats priuses. It flies fine even if a bit slow. I already made a couple K of auec hauling around stuff. The details and general design is excellent, it is a gold standard model and it shows.

ATC shortcut key! You need to bind it, find it at the bottom
of the flight - movement section

Performance is, once streamed in, amazing. Microstuttering is still annoying from time to time but much improved framerate overall even with clouds turned on to high.

Lorevill with a cloud cover at sunset is mind blowing from the air. So much depth and detail, love it!

They did something with the lighting model, stuff looks more detailed / nicer than I remember.

Selling works, the new kiosk ui is clean and usable.
NPCs don't stand on chairs (but...), and when they are at their post they seem a bit more interactive and lively.

New player model looks really good, although I miss some of the weirder eye colors.

The bad :

No more hauling up all the corpses from bunkers and loading all their stuff into you ship just by being near it. So basically no more loot hoarding the easy way, you will need a ship with a ramp I assume. I don't own one at the moment so can't test it.

Changin mobiglass to different color will render it inoperable. So don't!

NPCs sometimes just stand where they spawned in neat grid arrangement. Very creepy, I preferred the standing on seats version.

Ship is still not recognized at certain sites like salvage yards. Can't trade.

New shorter time between needing to eat and drink is annoying af. I couldn't get my character to eat anything, had to re log twice and travel to a different station, almost starved lol. And yes I did take my helmet off.

Warning, you can repeatedly sell the same item and gain auec even when the kiosk says transaction failed. I could do this with weapons I looted in previous versions. This might seem like a thing to exploit, but you might get all your stuff wiped later!

Well, that's all that comes to mind at the moment, I'm sure there's other cool stuff they did. Seems like a nice stable build, haven't had any crashes or 30K s yet.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I've been able to get in game now and had the following experiences:

Took the 400 out for a spin launched from Babbo and touched down at Tessler to set it as spawn, then set off to find the river. Could not change the navigation waypoint so tried to get out of my seat and couldn't do that either. Had to ALT+F4 out of the game.

Tried to get back into the game and had two 60015 server full errors in a row.

Third time was the one I was going to give up but got lucky and into the server - was on Tessler and my ship and armour with my food/drink in were still equipped which was a relief.

Looked online and saw if you flew 437km from Babbage on a 205 heading you'd hit the one single river in the game right now and I did so want to visit it, so rose to 22 thousand meters and jammed it over there at about 1000m/s. About seven minutes later I see a snaking blue line below me on a background of brown temperate earth. Thank goodness those clouds were not obscuring the ground there or I'd have buzzed right past it.

ScreenShot-2022-05-01_17-02-37-CF6.jpg

While coming in, I saw there was a Carrak on its back by the name of DKR Dresden or something like that. I raised a query on F12 if they wanted help but it de-spawned immediately. No worries.

I flew to the source in the nearby mountains and back down to the little lake at the end of the river. From the sky it doesn't look very long, flying it is doesn't seem that long, but I parked my ship on the small beach on the lake and intended to walk the river but just walking round the late to the mouth of the river put things in perspective. Walking it is going to be one of those "I have nothing but free time today" activities.

ScreenShot-2022-05-01_17-00-38-8FC.jpg

One question I do have about this river and lake is what, exactly, is the composition of the liquid in it? It was between minus 7 and minus 8 all the time I was there and there was no sign of the water freezing so one suspects it may not be pure H2O or it has some other factor stopping it from turning solid...?

Returning to Tessler to log off I spotted the 400 sat all foreboding through the airshield in the shadow of Microtech... When the elevator finally showed up, it had to wait for me to get this screenshot.

Muzak.jpg

In terms of Frames Per Second, it's a little smoother, maybe +2 or +3 fps but the old machine I have is limited by the age and performance of the parts so not much more other than replacing the computer is going to improve my experience (FX8350, RX570 4gb etc) but the game still runs and thats all I need for an Alpha :)

Last edited:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Frames lots of frames.
Yeah, I'm still getting 21 FPS in some locations as I discovered yesterday - but most of the time I'm getting 40-60, and I have my GPU set not to deliver more than 60. For comparison, last patch I was getting 20-35.

I'm also not getting the lag spikes and de-sync warnings I usually get anywhere near Area 18.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aramsolari
Forgot your password?