May 6, 2019
RSI Handle
Dweagar
Current System Specs:

i7-12700K
Asus ROG STRIX Z690-E GAMING WIFI
Asus ROG STRIX OC RTX 3080Ti
32GB Corsair DDR5-6200Mhz RAM

Would I see a tangible benefit to upgrading to 64GB of DDR5? Or would a performance increase be negligible?

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

RoosterRage

Captain
Donor
Jul 16, 2022
RSI Handle
RoosterRage
Current System Specs:

i7-12700K
Asus ROG STRIX Z690-E GAMING WIFI
Asus ROG STRIX OC RTX 3080Ti
32GB Corsair DDR5-6200Mhz RAM

Would I see a tangible benefit to upgrading to 64GB of DDR5? Or would a performance increase be negligible?
No Star Citizen uses around 20 gigs of ram adding extra will do nothing for your performance, use an overlay and see for yourself even with background tasks running total system usage is around 20-21 gigs.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
@RoosterRage
Unless you want chrome open on another monitor. I recommend 128 at least. lol

While SC really only uses 20ish gigs, realistically, you will have shit running in the bg. You will have less issues with more RAM. Dunno how fat your windows is running, how many things you got running on a regular basis like spotify, discord, browser, AV, torrent and so on.

1698982155982.png

This is my current while running SC live server, it's using close to 20gigs at this point going from PointO to Area18 on a fairly busy server despite it being 4AM, chrome eating up another 10+ with a YT vid running, and the rest is windows, discord, and other general stuff.

So yes, having 64 is a nice convenient thing, unless you want to clean house every time before you run SC. But it's not strictly necessary and you most likely won't see any gains regarding FPS unless windows currently screems at you of running out of memory.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
When in doubt & when financially feasible, more RAM helps "future proof" with new games as they continue to require more & more to run at their best, based on what I've seen from various testers.

Reactions: Shiwaz

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
The more the better, I got 24gb in mine (2x8, 2x4) and got over the 20gb base line and every just worked so much better.

FX-8350
RX-570 4gb
24gb DDR3 1600.

As you are already over that baseline I can't claim you'll see benefits as noticeable going from 32gb to 64gb but as you would from going 8gb to 24gb but with the price of RAM right now if you can afford it I'd recommend getting it while the getting is good - I missed out on getting my graphics card when I could have got it at a reasonable price and had to drop on it during the mining boom - it was 2x the price it should have been and at the time I felt lucky to have found it so cheap!

Mio Fujii

Commander
Donor
Sep 15, 2023
RSI Handle
Mio_Fujii
Far too many games, even established games, have "memory leaks". If you need 20gb and you have 32gb, not a lot of buffer if the memory leak starts eating up that 12gb you had left. I run 64gb. Tried 128gb, but motherboard had a weird issue with it and actually killed the clock speed of my memory, so dropped back down to 64gb.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
32GB is all you really need for most games tbh.

• o7

RoosterRage

Captain
Donor
Jul 16, 2022
RSI Handle
RoosterRage
@RoosterRage
Unless you want chrome open on another monitor. I recommend 128 at least. lol

While SC really only uses 20ish gigs, realistically, you will have shit running in the bg. You will have less issues with more RAM. Dunno how fat your windows is running, how many things you got running on a regular basis like spotify, discord, browser, AV, torrent and so on.

View attachment 25123

This is my current while running SC live server, it's using close to 20gigs at this point going from PointO to Area18 on a fairly busy server despite it being 4AM, chrome eating up another 10+ with a YT vid running, and the rest is windows, discord, and other general stuff.

So yes, having 64 is a nice convenient thing, unless you want to clean house every time before you run SC. But it's not strictly necessary and you most likely won't see any gains regarding FPS unless windows currently screems at you of running out of memory.
Well you could say that you 3D model while playing but most people run a game, discord, head tracking and and may have a guide page up and 32 is more than enough, and since he didn't state that he is doing anything other than playing the game he is fine and either way he can use an overlay to see for himself if he is running heavy programs in the back that affects the game.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Well you could say that you 3D model while playing but most people run a game, discord, head tracking and and may have a guide page up and 32 is more than enough, and since he didn't state that he is doing anything other than playing the game he is fine and either way he can use an overlay to see for himself if he is running heavy programs in the back that affects the game.
My idle load is 11.2gigs, so yes, SC should fit fine into 32gigs even with my rather fat idle state.

• o7

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I came across & watched this video a moment ago. It reminded me of this thread, so I thought I'd add it here. I hope you enjoy.

Forgot your password?