3D Printed Caterpillar

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I may look into this soon then. Gonna get a miniature spray booth to filter fumes for the garage first me thinks.
As @Cugino83 said, having an airbrush makes a world of difference! It did for me too!
Do a proper base coat with some model primer (much smaller pigments than regular primers) like Tamiya, and then spray your colors. You will need much less paint (but a lot more thinner ofc), and have a much nicer finish with all the details still there.

For a tabletop spray booth, you can find tons of DIY ideas. A strong cardboard box, some cloth and a cheap PC fan is all you need really. Oh and some trasparent plastic to act as a window, if you want a fully enclosed one.

Reactions: Mich Angel

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Well for primer I'll stay away form the Tamiya one: don't get me wrong they are excellent, but for god sake they are expensive!
After some use of the Vakllleijo spry can primer (gray mostly), I moved on to the primer bottle to appli by either brush or aribrush: they are freaking more convinent then a spray can!! Not only you have a constant air flow (can pressure vary do to the actual gas content and the external temprature) but you also have a more fine cone spray so less color wasted and more control.

By the way if you ever move to an airbrush use a proper primer paint: I've seen a lot of people use normal sprycan as a primer, they could be good for paint brush, but defenetly not suited for airbrush since paint just bunch of the model without sticking on it.

For spry boot I honestly don't use one, but that depend on how "trugger happy" you are on the airbrush: hight pressure and full squise produce a lot of overspary and then a boot is racomanded, lower pressure and a more fine trigger control can minimaze if not entirerly scroap the need of it.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Be gentle with me, it's been a LONG time since I hand painted anything. I am venturing FAR outside my comfort zone with these hazard stripes and they need to be cleaned up a lot more. Citadel Contrast paints have worked absolute WONDERS for me on this. Still a lot more work to be done, but its coming along nicely. My biggest hurdle is finding the motivation/courage to keep going!

@Cugino83 @Lorddarthvik

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
OMG...
Ok, first and formost: do not paint straight line free hand unless you are more then pratical with it, especially on not perfectly flat surface.... take some papar tape, cut it to dimension and use it for masking: it will take a lot of time to put it in place but the result will be amazing (photo as example to follow).
As an alternative use some pencil, trace the lines, then fist paint the black line (with a small brush, and them fill in the gap. You'll have a so much better effect and a more straight line, even on non flat surface.

EDIT:
Foto example of a warning stripes, made with masking papart tape (those are also painted with airbrush):
IMG_20201011_170400.jpg

IMG_20201011_170424.jpg

IMG_20201011_170436.jpg

Also: what happen with the metal? Looks like you black wash a surface that was water-proof.... is not bad iif you look it form afar, but the close up is terrible... try to mask it with a light dry-brush of the original(the one used as base) gunmetal color.

Also a diluted wash of a light brown on the yellow area wll help bringing up the detail on the engine cover (the yello has a nice surface but is terribly flat).
Just remember to go easy on the wash: you can always add a second layer after the first dry. but removing the paint is a bit harder...

Last edited:

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Be gentle with me, it's been a LONG time since I hand painted anything. I am venturing FAR outside my comfort zone with these hazard stripes and they need to be cleaned up a lot more. Citadel Contrast paints have worked absolute WONDERS for me on this. Still a lot more work to be done, but its coming along nicely. My biggest hurdle is finding the motivation/courage to keep going!

@Cugino83 @Lorddarthvik

That looks pretty damn good!
Just out of curiosity, did you intentionally go for squigly black/yellow hazard paint, or are you planning on straightening them out? It looks very diy/pirate style this way, I like it!

Just a few ideas I have looking at this:
- break up the larger surfaces by adding accents to them with lighter colors. Light metallic on the beams, and maybe some light brown/red rust spots. Drybrushing can also do wonders and makes adding detail fast, just don't over do it. Less is more!
- I'm guessing you will be painting the cockpit and windows shiny black? If you happen to have any kind of shiny thin transparent plastic you can cut to size (some sorta packaging maybe?), you could paint the back side of it black and glue that in as windows.
- add beacons/lights either as paint, or as LEDs if you are feeling adventurous lol.
- as a general rule (that I always forget to apply), with small models you should go a shade lighter in general. So black should be dark grey instead and so on..
- add as much detail as you can, warning triangles, no-step text on wings and such. Best if you could print your own decals, but you could also steal.some from left overs of airplane kits. For really fine detail, you can use things like pointy toothpicks to apply the paint. And a lot of patience.

As for what keeps me going when I already spent way too much time on a model and just want it to be done already... I just look at pictures of other models for what I want to achieve and keep trying my best (and keep failing due to impatience, lack of skill, lack of proper tools, etc.. 🤣 ). I like experimenting, so it's a bit easier for me I guess.

Edit: what @Cugino83 said, add detail with washes and such

Question for @Cugino83 : would you try to apply laquer to this model to bring it together? If yes, Gloss or Matt?

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
@Lorddarthvik this model defenetly need some filter to tone down the difference in color, but gloss finish for this is a no go: for a shint ship like an Origin one I'll absolutely go for a gloss finish, for anythings else matt is the best choice (a satin finish eventually...?).

For the light effect @Lorddarthvik I second that, and if you'll like to make them really bright just paint a white solid base in the light bulb and then paint the bulb with a thin down color: the white underneat the final color will light it up like a real light rource.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
That looks pretty damn good!
Just out of curiosity, did you intentionally go for squigly black/yellow hazard paint, or are you planning on straightening them out? It looks very diy/pirate style this way, I like it!

Just a few ideas I have looking at this:
- break up the larger surfaces by adding accents to them with lighter colors. Light metallic on the beams, and maybe some light brown/red rust spots. Drybrushing can also do wonders and makes adding detail fast, just don't over do it. Less is more!
- I'm guessing you will be painting the cockpit and windows shiny black? If you happen to have any kind of shiny thin transparent plastic you can cut to size (some sorta packaging maybe?), you could paint the back side of it black and glue that in as windows.
- add beacons/lights either as paint, or as LEDs if you are feeling adventurous lol.
- as a general rule (that I always forget to apply), with small models you should go a shade lighter in general. So black should be dark grey instead and so on..
- add as much detail as you can, warning triangles, no-step text on wings and such. Best if you could print your own decals, but you could also steal.some from left overs of airplane kits. For really fine detail, you can use things like pointy toothpicks to apply the paint. And a lot of patience.

As for what keeps me going when I already spent way too much time on a model and just want it to be done already... I just look at pictures of other models for what I want to achieve and keep trying my best (and keep failing due to impatience, lack of skill, lack of proper tools, etc.. 🤣 ). I like experimenting, so it's a bit easier for me I guess.

Edit: what @Cugino83 said, add detail with washes and such

Question for @Cugino83 : would you try to apply laquer to this model to bring it together? If yes, Gloss or Matt?
Oh yes, it is FAR from finished. I do plan on cleaning up the stripes, they are quite difficult to get super straight.
-Lots of details for all the metal bits to break up the large portions, like you mentioned.
-Cockpit and windows will have some sort of reflection, I havent figured that effect out yet with my current paints, working on it though.
-LED will likely not happen, but painting lights might work. Also have yet to figure this part out! :D I am learning a lot as I go.
- Details like warning decals and such will be the very last bit. Patience is being learned as I go.

Time is definitely one of those things I do not have a lot of so this project is going slower than anticipated. The end of the year fills up with things to do and holidays! (you should see my progress on my stormtrooper costume for the 501st!)

As always, I appreciate the help, advice, wisdom, and just the occasional "good job!". Your encouragement is my motivation.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
That is looking great, awesome work, looking forward to see the final.
I'm seriously been thinking more on getting a 3D printer.
Gott tons a project lined up, just the last step left figure out, which one to get.
But I got a fair idea about a couple of them so I'm feeling confident ha ha ha ha.... I think. 🤪

🍻

Last edited:
Reactions: Printimus

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Oh yes, it is FAR from finished. I do plan on cleaning up the stripes, they are quite difficult to get super straight.
-Lots of details for all the metal bits to break up the large portions, like you mentioned.
-Cockpit and windows will have some sort of reflection, I havent figured that effect out yet with my current paints, working on it though.
-LED will likely not happen, but painting lights might work. Also have yet to figure this part out! :D I am learning a lot as I go.
- Details like warning decals and such will be the very last bit. Patience is being learned as I go.

Time is definitely one of those things I do not have a lot of so this project is going slower than anticipated. The end of the year fills up with things to do and holidays! (you should see my progress on my stormtrooper costume for the 501st!)

As always, I appreciate the help, advice, wisdom, and just the occasional "good job!". Your encouragement is my motivation.
I'm looking forward to your next update on this project (and I'll like to see something on the costume also...)!

Oh, by the way, if for future ship project (eventually even for this one), you'll be looking to improve some of the engine in the easy way take a look at this:

https://www.hlj.com/search/?q=adlers nest

this site is amazing for foraging detail part and small bits for ship and sci-fi project in general.
The engine could be not 100% accurate to the SC models, but you can always improve them with some styrene (or plasticard) bits... or just leave them natural metal for an extra detail effect....

Forgot your password?