60 fps a thing yet?

jessehiraya

Grand Admiral
Apr 4, 2016
RSI Handle
Hiraya
Haven't looked at Star Citizen in a few years, figured I'd take a look with 3.9's release. My framerates are better than I remember them being, but they're still overall sluggish. However, when I've seen recent gameplay footage on YouTube with some really smooth frames.

My PC is plenty old on the components front.
GPU - Geforce GTX 1080
CPU - Intel i7-2600k

So yeah... I was already looking at upgrading my rig anyway so if there's a way to get the game to 60 fps now, I'd love to know what I should look to get at minimum.

By the way, this was the video I was looking at with the really nice framerates.
CaptainBerks 3.9 Easy Tutorial, Full Beginner's Guide

jessehiraya

Grand Admiral
Apr 4, 2016
RSI Handle
Hiraya
Looking at the RSI Public Telemetry, if I understand correctly than a 150 score on both GPU and CPU will get me into the recommended configuration range.

My scores:
GPU - 172
CPU - 67

So if I understand correctly, my GPU is fine. I just have to upgrade my CPU and I can expect 60fps then?

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Well upgrading the CPU will be a good idea, (2° gen i7 is quite old...) still, I'm running with a i5-6600 and FPS are not that much better.
Problem is that most of the time FPS are not relelated to client pc but on the congestion server side: when you get a good one that doen't with few player all run smooth, other wise you can expect FPS drop, especially in big acity area like Loreville and A18.
Sadly there is nothing we can do about it but CIG is constantly working on the performance optimization even if with mixed result (later 3.8.2 was very stable, 3.9... well that is another story...)

LoicFarris

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 1, 2019
RSI Handle
LoicFarris
Just to be up-front, don't expect consistent 60 FPS with a 1080, I'm on a 1070 which isn't much below with respect to performance. At 1080p I can get as high as 80 fps in some areas and in others it's super sluggish. I have days where I'm lucky to average 28fps. Despite popular belief, the game isn't optimized at all and won't be for a while. Yes they're working on optimization here and there to improve performance, but the true and final optimization effort won't be in scope until the assets are all in.

So I'd say in your case, yeah definitely upgrade the CPU, I'm on a 7700k, works just fine. But with the 1080, don't expect consistent frames at 60, if you're looking at 4k, you hands down will need a 2080 series card.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Hey bud.

I have a 3900x and a 2080ti and I'm barely getting 55-60 fps. If I stare at an elevator door I get 70+ My GPU score is 314 and my CPU score is 264. I run at ultrawide with a 1440 monitor.

In New Babbage landing zone my framerates plummet to around 30fps

The game is horrendously unoptimized. I expect it to get better in time but do keep that in consideration if you expect 60+ fps with similar components.

Last edited:

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
I've heard frames seem to be a bit lower, or at least more inconsistnet this patch.

They are definitely ramping up their code to use mor cores...older gen CPU's will be sucking, but, at this point in the upgrade cycle you would be better off just waiting, unless you can get a great deal on a 6 core processor or better.

And then face it, you'll upgrade your CPU and you'll be there like, "Could I get more fps with a better GPU?" lol ... just keep waiting!

wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
Haven't looked at Star Citizen in a few years, figured I'd take a look with 3.9's release. My framerates are better than I remember them being, but they're still overall sluggish. However, when I've seen recent gameplay footage on YouTube with some really smooth frames. /.../ So yeah... I was already looking at upgrading my rig anyway so if there's a way to get the game to 60 fps now, I'd love to know what I should look to get at minimum.
It doesn't make any sense to upgrade at this time if you're on GTX 1080 with i7-2600k. RTX 2080 and newer CPU definitely give you better performance, but at this stage you wouldn't enjoy the game anyway, as it's really bugged; at the same time, there is an RTX 30xx coming later this year, which would give you even better results, and would allow you to play all yet-to-be-released games in the next 2-3 years at 60fps or faster framerates.

I'm running on RTX 2070 Super with i7-9700 and I'm getting 60fps on average at 2560x1440p; at 1080p I'm easily reaching 120fps in deep space, so as you can see the next gen GPU allows you to play 60fps; but as I said... I would personally wait if I was you : )

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
It doesn't make any sense to upgrade at this time if you're on GTX 1080 with i7-2600k. RTX 2080 and newer CPU definitely give you better performance, but at this stage you wouldn't enjoy the game anyway, as it's really bugged; at the same time, there is an RTX 30xx coming later this year, which would give you even better results, and would allow you to play all yet-to-be-released games in the next 2-3 years at 60fps or faster framerates.

I'm running on RTX 2070 Super with i7-9700 and I'm getting 60fps on average at 2560x1440p; at 1080p I'm easily reaching 120fps in deep space, so as you can see the next gen GPU allows you to play 60fps; but as I said... I would personally wait if I was you : )
Any suggestions in getting more out of my rig? I don't get those frames like you even though my rig is technically more powerful.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Currently 3.9 performance is sluggish. A few big patches ago I hit 78fps running a 1060 with an i5 4670k and 16gig ram. Range was 30-70fps usually.
I've upgraded to a 2060super, i7 4770k with 32gb ram, and older patches ran at 40-120fps. With 3.9 I'm getting anywhere from 10 to 50fps.

Tldr.: Do Not Upgrade based on Star Citizens current performance!
But yeah, getting a CPU would be the right direction.

jessehiraya

Grand Admiral
Apr 4, 2016
RSI Handle
Hiraya
Thanks so much for the advice, guys! I didn't know that the congestion is server side. I'll surely look into a CPU upgrade but will adjust my expectations accordingly. I'm thankfully running with an SSD as well.

TEST brains are biggest brains in the verse. :O

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
As others have stated, you shouldn't update based only because of SC.
As for SC performance, due to it not being optimized, and what little optimizations have been done are exclusively for the highest in-game video settings, it is very resource dependent...but even the most powerful systems set drops to sub 20 fps when there are server issues.

Running SC on an HDD really needs at least 32 gigs of performance RAM to get decent consistent FPS and acceptable load times, but with a high perfomance SSD (such as a Samsung EVO NVMe m.2) you can get away with 16 gigs of midrange RAM.

This page in Spectrum also had tips on how to improve some video performance issues:

Also, until the transition from DirectX to Vulkan in completed for SC, SLI/Crossfire support in SC is nonexistent, leading to really bad flickering issues (Vulkan is expected to resolve this, but not guaranteed.)

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
A bit of info about the RSI Public Telemetry page.

As I bought a brand new computer and have gone from barely 35-40FPS to 60++++ fps.
I noticed the RSI Public Telemetry did not update this info or showed the right data from what I could see with my own eyes happening in game..

So I contacted support about it and they simply said RSI Public Telemetry is not working perfect so what ever that show take it with a grain of salt it's a bit off..
And I would guess fixing it is not a high priority..

So trust what you see on your screen when playing that data is accurate then ask others with different setup or better to share their game performance.
That give you a much better accurate how it works now data..

In short if game play is smooth for you and you don't have any issue part from the bug related issues that every one have regardless of system they have.
Enjoy it and don't think to much about it since game is in constant flux and every new patch can most likely change things.

Basic system needed is best CPU and system you can afford and lots of ram, you can't have to much ram and same goes for GPU card.
There is no magic shortcut to good/great game performance it's all about how much your wallet allow. ( take it that game is working as intended with fairly stable performance )

CHEERS! 🍻

Last edited:

wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
Thanks so much for the advice, guys! I didn't know that the congestion is server side. I'll surely look into a CPU upgrade but will adjust my expectations accordingly. I'm thankfully running with an SSD as well.

TEST brains are biggest brains in the verse. :O
As individuals we are dumb as hell. But as a group we become a Collective Superintelligence.

Any suggestions in getting more out of my rig? I don't get those frames like you even though my rig is technically more powerful.
So, I tested 3.9 and captured framerates -- I didn't want to mislead you nor force you to trash your PC by simply saying "I'm getting 120fps on a budget PC" and then find that I'm actually reaching that framerate only in 0.05% of my playtime ; )

I'm getting more than 230fps in menu, more than 120fps in deep space, 75-100fps inside my ship (tested with Starfarer G), around 55-80fps at Rest Stops, around 70-80fps near any space station, almost constant 43fps while approaching New Babbage in daylight in 1st person and 45-60fps in 3rd person, and 40-60fps at New Babbage (usually around 50fps). I tested this during 3 different sessions, on 3 different servers (unless I was connected to the same servers after 4-hour breaks ; ) /except for the party, there is no session persistence in SC, so those were rather different servers/.

There are many reasons why you're not getting better results -- game settings, SSD I/O speeds, network bandwidth and stability, amount of memory and its speed, other applications running on your System...

Just in case, I'm running on relatively fast MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio in high performance mode (no OC though), i7-9700k at 4.9GHz, Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 and 32GB HyperX Predator 3200MHz DDR4 (XMP).

How wide is your ultrawide resolution? -- if it's really wide then obviously it would be like running the game at 4K; also, the game graphics settings always need to be set to max. In my case SC is running at max settings with v-sync disabled (I have a g-sync display) at 2560x1440p.
@Aramsolari

-------------------------------------------------

ScreenShot0224.jpg ScreenShot0232.jpg ScreenShot0219.jpg ScreenShot0221.jpg ScreenShot0225.jpg ScreenShot0247.jpg ScreenShot0267.jpg ScreenShot0269.jpg ScreenShot0270.jpg

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
As individuals we are dumb as hell. But as a group we become a Collective Superintelligence.

Just in case, I'm running on relatively fast MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio in high performance mode (no OC though), i7-9700k at 4.9GHz, Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 and 32GB HyperX Predator 3200MHz DDR4 (XMP).
Yep- it's your CPU that's giving you the 60+fps. This game is so CPU bound you could run it on a GTX1050ti as long as you got an i9 9999k overclocked to 6000gigaquads.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari

So, I tested 3.9 and captured framerates -- I didn't want to mislead you nor force you to trash your PC by simply saying "I'm getting 120fps on a budget PC" and then find that I'm actually reaching that framerate only in 0.05% of my playtime ; )

I'm getting more than 230fps in menu, more than 120fps in deep space, 75-100fps inside my ship (tested with Starfarer G), around 55-80fps at Rest Stops, around 70-80fps near any space station, almost constant 43fps while approaching New Babbage in daylight in 1st person and 45-60fps in 3rd person, and 40-60fps at New Babbage (usually around 50fps). I tested this during 3 different sessions, on 3 different servers (unless I was connected to the same servers after 4-hour breaks ; ) /except for the party, there is no session persistence in SC, so those were rather different servers/.

There are many reasons why you're not getting better results -- game settings, SSD I/O speeds, network bandwidth and stability, amount of memory and its speed, other applications running on your System...

How wide is your ultrawide resolution? -- if it's really wide then obviously it would be like running the game at 4K; also, the game graphics settings always need to be set to max. In my case SC is running at max settings with v-sync disabled (I have a g-sync display) at 2560x1440p.
@Aramsolari

-------------------------------------------------

View attachment 15757 View attachment 15758 View attachment 15756 View attachment 15759 View attachment 15760 View attachment 15761 View attachment 15762 View attachment 15763 View attachment 15764
I'm running G-Sync enabled, ultrahigh settings, and on a 3440 x 1440 monitor (G-Sync enabled Alienware AW3418DW).

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
What I found about graphic settings is that unless I was running it on the old 750ti on my wifes PC and I had to set it to "low" and 1280x720 for it to even load the game, it was Ultra High that gave the most consistent framerate on my gaming rig, while looking the best as well ofc. The game is pretty much CPU bound at the moment, my 2060S barely spins it's fans, and this was the case with my 1060 as well. Upgrading to 8 cores did make a difference, upgrading to 32 gigs from 16, not that noticable.
There just isn't that much to draw at any given moment for a modern GPU, excluding the big cities, and I'd guess those are very unoptimized still. For example they don't seem to play well with the lighting/shadows engine, and that can cause slowdowns that will be fixed later.
There is way more delay with content sync, physics sync, finding and loading entities, culling, unloading stuff, and so on. Lot's of CPU bandwidth and network bound stuff, not much for the GPU to work at.
This is literally the only game i can think of, and I played a lot of stuff lately, that might actually benefit from RAM bandwidth and speed, for now at least. Once it gets optimized, I'm pretty sure it will do fine even on DDR3, just as it did before this patch, even though we might see DDR5 by the time that happens lol.

Forgot your password?