600i interior remake

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Simplest way to keep pirates off is give the ship herpes.

View: https://youtu.be/ah7mVHHcHXo
God I miss these kinda practical effects, CG just doesn't really cut it when it comes to gooey (space) monsters. (and I say that as a CG artist lol)

I'd hope someone wealthy enough to own a 600i would have at least a few Ai crew hired to clean up any space herpes though.

Randson

Space Marshal
Oct 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Randson
This is pretty much the answer to the original question, but the flipside of that is that there are also plenty of *other* solo-able ships that one might generally grab over the 600i, so that's then the secondary question you need to consider.
One other point in favor of the 600i though: don't discount the niceness factor! One of the main reasons I routinely pull out my Phoenix (aside from the fact I still think the Connies are good ships), is so that after I spool up and QT jump, I can go back and sit next to the window or at the bar during the trip; and I just LOVE this! I also imagine that if I had a 600i, I might try to utilize bed logout more often, as you can park the nose bedroom with say, an awfully nice view of Crusader. . . :D
I know this is a pretty late reply but i think the biggest calling card for Origin ships is something not in game yet. Early Origin ships were always advertised as high performing ships, yes, but they were also advertised as highly automated or high tech. Now, we haven't seen computers/avionics/blades in game yet but i feel this is going to be a department where the Origin line will exceed in, hence, one of the reason Origin ships cost more than ships in similar roles or areas.

Origin has always been seen as a RP brand or kinda more posh than practical but I think down the road people might want to rethink that. Its also why so many may mis-judge the 890 in its current state. The calling card for the 890 specifically was automation in the brochure. I think, people who are looking to the future, might want to keep an eye on anything Origin.

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
So basically ... We should expect the reworked 600i to go up by a pretty significant amount to give it the "luxury" pricetag over the competition?

It's the one thing that confuses me about Origin explorers.

Outside of the design and luxury, I'm not sure what sets them part from the others, from a role stand point.

Perhaps them being more soloable compared to the competition at similar size and scale -is- the "advanced systems" that sets Origin apart and also helps drive up price?

More money for more control at your finger tips sorta thing.

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
So basically ... We should expect the reworked 600i to go up by a pretty significant amount to give it the "luxury" pricetag over the competition?

It's the one thing that confuses me about Origin explorers.

Outside of the design and luxury, I'm not sure what sets them part from the others, from a role stand point.

Perhaps them being more soloable compared to the competition at similar size and scale -is- the "advanced systems" that sets Origin apart and also helps drive up price?

More money for more control at your finger tips sorta thing.
Perhaps there will be some decently priced NPC missions where you can be hired to take them to research / explore some area with incredible views that they can see through the rear window? I have no idea, but that would be my best guess.

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
Perhaps there will be some decently priced NPC missions where you can be hired to take them to research / explore some area with incredible views that they can see through the rear window? I have no idea, but that would be my best guess.
Giving the Origin ships the ability to perform the touring gameplay role, even on small scale would certainly be something unique and warrant extra cash, for sure.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
The 600i is a lot more manageable if you are flying solo from time to time, and it has pilot controlled weapons. Huuuuge plus for me at least. As a pilot I want to pewpew, not have to rely on other ppl or npcs to blow something up.
I get it, the idea of linear ship progression from single-seater to multi-crew battleships is seeped in gaming tradition. But I would strongly caution against this idea as CIG has been fairly consistent on their notion that large ships are multiplayer ships intended to have multiple people performing different roles working together to achieve ship operation effectiveness. While they have been working towards having NPC crew members and have mentioned the possibility of slaving some guns (dictated by ship CPU resources available and not used by other subsystems) I would still be cautious about the notion of solo flying a multiplayer ship. The good news is if you do own one of these many multiplayer ships you are a member of Test and so you'll have plenty of crew members to go on an adventure with. While it's not possible to expect them to be competent or even sober the adventure will be memorable if not

The thing that most bothered me about the 600i was that CIG routinely shows a lack of anticipation toward storage. None of the ships have enough storage for weapons, armor, etc. All that empty space behind the three seats on the 600i bridge is enough for an entire armory, and having an armory on the bridge is a great idea, as anyone familiar with Starhunter is aware. If they're going to physicalize inventories then lets actually have room for all our stuff. Most players want access to at least 3 suits of armor and half dozen weapon on their "home" ship. It's dopey we're all forced to put boxes on the floor to store what we need.
I agree with you, but I don't think its any sort of nefarious or lack of foresight, I think its more than the game loop hasn't been implemented, the metrics worked out and so ship designers are left with no way to anticipate what it will look like or work like and so they can't even block it out. It's one of many things they have to do but are simply kicking the can ahead as they attempt to balance implementing features that will attract and retain players as well as work on needed unseen backend systems and metrics.

Raven_King

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jan 17, 2021
RSI Handle
Raven_King
The good news is if you do own one of these many multiplayer ships you are a member of Test and so you'll have plenty of crew members to go on an adventure with. While it's not possible to expect them to be competent or even sober
This is a great point that perhaps doesn't get discussed here as much as it should.

Open question to anyone: what's a good way to get started in grouping up to play SC with others TEST members in-game? Asking for a friend.

Let's suppose this friend has only played solo until now. What do they need for a good group play experience - in other words, without what prerequisites being met is it going to be a a poor experience?

I'd guess you need a microphone, ideally a headset with a mic. Do folks here use the Guilded or Discord, or something else? Do you use any other apps or devices to make group play work better, e.g. FOIP or gameglass or something? Has anyone written up a guide in a sticky post or an FAQ somewhere about good ways to find a players to group with in-game, how to meet up in-game (something about grouping up in the main menu might go here?), how to use the comms properly etc.?

I didn't see anything like that after a quick glance at https://testsquadron.com/forums/events.5/, but maybe that's not quite the right place for it.

Speaking of events, I'd like to reserve the time to join one but with family life it's not always easy to commit to anything in the evenings. I know lots of us here are parents and have busy lives outside SC! So what if you just decide to log on to SC for an hour or two, and open e.g. Guilded and see who's around, and want to group up in game? Does that work?

The idea of being solo in all these big, incredible ships feels like a massive missed opportunity for more enjoyable gameplay! It looks like loads of people figured that one out years ago - maybe before SC was even playable. For latecomers to group play, like my friend, can we point them the right way to get started? Cheers!

Last edited:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
The first and primary responsibility of leadership is always vision casting. You need to have a clear vision for the kind of gameplay you seek (goal) and a concrete plan to get there. Once those two things are in place, the steps to creating the dream become clear.

I suggest start with what you want for a crew including the ship. Note that although a Carrack (for instance) is meant to be crewed by 5-6, it is best crewed by 10 or more. That means there is room for at least 12 in a Carrack crew. There are vids online of how to distribute role responsibilities for the crew, and how to set objectives. There are vids online of crews that are doing it right, and you should familiarize yourself with these too.

View: https://youtu.be/nzlRL07PtwU

View: https://youtu.be/U5Bn7Ir-DnE

First and foremost is the vision or goal of the group. It is a great idea to create a mission statement that offers a shared identity. Something like "we're a gray band of brothers who strive together to excel at what we do on both sides of the law. We support each other, especially in tasks from obtaining personal items to removing crimestats, and then achieve further through enhanced communications", etc ad nausium.

It likewise can be motivating to portray the details of what would make your ship special. In the past, when Carrack's have been attacked and boarded, the boarders head straight for the med bay so they can spawn camp it. Note that your crew knows what the dangers are and have therefore taken special actions like storing a pair of Titansuits in the hallway outside the med bay, so that during raids your crew can own the hallways and med bay. Or note you want to fly a Ballista on the hangar bay so you can dominate all other ships in game. Or note the places where you will place heavy machinegun platforms to dominate the vehicle garage, hangar bay, etc. Portray what special conditions you intend to supply to engineering so when you're taking fire, you're repairing at the same time. Cast a vision of how you intend to break the rules with the drone room, and why that makes your group special. Lay out some details of how you intend to run all the most complex and demanding missions, for the rewards and personal glory. Many players are attracted to multi-play because they already know there are lots of things you'll never be able to do in game wihtout a committed team.

Once you have a vision and a plan to get there, the next thing is to find a management level person to share the burden of leadership and administration. Leaders who plan to lead alone and do it all themselves always fail. You can't do great work alone. Find that person to share the vision with and together, conspire toward great achievement.

Once you have a vision, a plan to get there and a partner in crime, you can pitch your vision here in TEST and you'll find plenty of players. A few years ago when I pitched the Privateering group, I had 70+ players sign up in a single day. It is EASY to find people to follow a compelling vision. The hard part is defining and communicating the brilliant plan to reach the impossible goal. Note that a pitch is generally three sentences, one of which describes a problem and one of which describes your solution to that problem. "Only committed groups can hope to unlock the most challenging and exciting gameplay in SC" hits these two with one swing.

Note there are many missions in game already, that cannot be accomplished without a committed, well organized team. That is a great place to look to situate your goals.

Final aside: I know people are going to be drawn to the Redeemer for combat. Keep in mind that without a med bay, your crew is severely limited as to what it can accomplish in game. Having a med bay on site wherever you fight is a huge big deal. If you plan to do any FPS missions like removing crimestats together. You need at least a Cutty Red. The Carrack has not only the benefit of a med bay, but that it is blinding fast (as fast as the Redeemer) and has the best scan radius of all the ships currently in game.

Another final aside: One of the vids above shows the ship taking on a crew member in deep space. He just leaves his ship behind. Great idea (though this guy had a crimestat, which is very bad. You're stamping everyone else with the stat.) Instead of picking up one person by accident, how about meeting your entire crew with their ships somewhere they can each self-destruct and get themselves a new loot box every time you play? Make it a habit to enrich yourselves while playing in a group. Again, you can write this into your plan to achieve your greater goal. People always like to see concrete plans to achieving anything special.
WTH. That was not my question, and leads to another thread - and a comment that I actually made which wasn't this.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
So what is it you were asking?
I neither asked that question, nor if you follow the link do you go to that question.
Not a problem, I was just kind of "WTF is going on"...

BTW for whoever asked that question, the answer is Discord.

>>>---way over thataway on the main TEST page. --->>> look for blue Discord link

Last edited:

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Very weird. The quote was from Raven_King just above you. I have no idea why your handle was inserted, nor why when I went to fix it the entire post was deleted. Not only weird but extremely annoying since I don't think I want to type that all again.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Very weird. The quote was from Raven_King just above you. I have no idea why your handle was inserted, nor why when I went to fix it the entire post was deleted. Not only weird but extremely annoying since I don't think I want to type that all again.
Ah, then if he deleted the post, that might change the message ID and then it was pointing to my post instead. Kind of weird.

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Trying again:

Open question to anyone: what's a good way to get started in grouping up to play SC with others TEST members in-game?
The first and primary responsibility of leadership is always vision casting. To start a group, you need to set a goal and lay out the steps to obtaining that goal. Common effort toward that end is usually a "mission statement" that sets an identity for your group, and offers a "pitch" which is to say, about three sentences that identifies a problem and your solution to that problem. Before you do any of this, you want to do a little background research and see what others have done and are doing.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzlRL07PtwU

View: https://youtu.be/U5Bn7Ir-DnE?t=75

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKpIKcdI9t8

Note that they trace the lineage of their group to grant it some gravitas, explain the relevant political background and how they relate to it, and mention how they obtain access to all missions in game through team effort. They thus have stated their identity, goal, plans toward that goal and given reason to respect them. This is a great mission statement even if they were not specifically trying to write one.

So to start, ask yourself what you want to accomplish. What will make your crew special and enviable? What do you want to fly and what do you want to accomplish?

Last I heard, TEST has groups on both Discord and Guilded, but Discord is more common use I think. I know it is important to meet Montoya on either of these to lead a group, and that is the best place to simply join one.

Last edited:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Well that was strange - but sort of cool. Thanks for the answers. (Oh, and I didn’t delete any posts, for what it’s worth. I’m as puzzled as you are about that!)
It's certainly strange. But it is what it is.
If you have Discord, there's almost always someone in there. Right now there's like 15 bodies. Generally a little later there will be more. Including me.

Gilded too, but I've been having issues with it's interface. Edit: On the TEST home page, look to the right side of the webpage to find links to both.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
It's certainly strange. But it is what it is.
If you have Discord, there's almost always someone in there. Right now there's like 15 bodies. Generally a little later there will be more. Including me.

Gilded too, but I've been having issues with it's interface. Edit: On the TEST home page, look to the right side of the webpage to find links to both.
I too have issues with Guilded from time to time. As for grouping up while @Shadow Reaper is helpful I have found personally just logging into Discord saying hi is all that is needed to group up. But given the game is still lacking lots of content the channel can be hit or miss at times (normally it's more populated after a patch release). The other way is to join one of the many posted events but like you, I have found that they don't always work on my limited schedule and so if you want you can always create events yourself that work in your available play time.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I too have issues with Guilded from time to time. As for grouping up while @Shadow Reaper is helpful I have found personally just logging into Discord saying hi is all that is needed to group up. But given the game is still lacking lots of content the channel can be hit or miss at times (normally it's more populated after a patch release). The other way is to join one of the many posted events but like you, I have found that they don't always work on my limited schedule and so if you want you can always create events yourself that work in your available play time.
You know, I was thinking about starting a regular mining ops event, but my schedule went to hell... then @Chromeninja started doing it. Good stuff too, only it's usually a few weeks before times I can get into the game on time. Such is life. I've also wanted to get into @vahadar's Crash and burn or whatever it's called events, but same thing lol. No time. Thing is, all you have to do usually is just join the channel and you're good to go. Except if you're late and they're 35 million Km's away.

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
@Vavrik we were thinking about you with @marcsand2 last time we talked with @Chromeninja about events in general and ppl that show interest in mining, just before he started the mining event. If you want to help running the mining event as you are a mining pro you just need to throw yourself in the arena ;)
Always good to have many ppl running the same event, that way if someone is not here, we have spare leadership, and the event is still happening which is the most important thing here to keep the org busy and interested.

Last edited:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
@Vavrik we were thinking about you with @marcsand2 last time we talked with @Chromeninja about events in general and ppl that show interest in mining, just before he started the mining event. If you want to help running the mining event as you are a mining pro you just need to throw yourself in the arena ;)
Always good to have many ppl running the same event, that way if someone is not here, we have spare leadership, and the event is still happening which is the most important thing here to keep the org busy and interested.
Well I'm good with that, as long as I can clear up my work schedule. Hoping only a few weeks more.

Forgot your password?