A crazy thought has crossed my mind... (games a service)

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Outsourcing their engine to other game devs.

Can you imaged a Star Wars game made with what we have here?
If only I was an artist this would make for a great SC mod.

But I do not believe when CIG went with Amazon they got the right to sub license the engine. While the the modifications they made to it are theirs I am not sure it would benefit them to try and sell it as a add on. On top of that a lot of what they have done with SC unreal has been adding to their engine already.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik

But I do not believe when CIG went with Amazon they got the right to sub license the engine. While the the modifications they made to it are theirs I am not sure it would benefit them to try and sell it as a add on. On top of that a lot of what they have done with SC unreal has been adding to their engine already.
Now that SW is Disney, I highly doubt they would let you make and publish such a mod 🙁 I saw on YouTube that some good folks are building jedi knight in unreal engine, and once it gets into a playable state I'm pretty sure they'll get their c&d letter in the mail.

Yeah I guess they won't be allowed to sell the engine, but I'm hoping that they could arrange a deal that at least trickles them some small percentage in case Amazon licenses the engine to someone with CIG's improvements in it.
Also, they got the server / multi-player tech that they built, I guess they could license that out in some form? I don't know how much of that is separate to lumberyard though.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya

I do not know the legalities of licencing out what the create for Star Citizen either, its worth looking into.

I strongly feel that there will be some sort of monthly subscription plan when this game is done even though it is not in the plan.

Ammorn

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
Ammorn
The problem is a lot of backers would be really mad. As it has been clearly announced as "subscription free"

I would be okay if longterm backers get a free lifetime subscription or at least x month free depending on their pledge. (eg. if you pledged 1000$ (15$ / month) = 5.6 years,
even then people will be mad and its something which CIG should communicate very carefully and very early on.

I myself already considered to buy ingame stuff with real money in an amount of 10-15$ for every month i play, to keep the game running.

Another option might be to keep on selling new concept ships after release. Which would also break their promises.

So if we as backers want a game which is free of p2w in the final game we all should consider buying cosmetic items to keep the game successful and running.
I think what they'd do is have an optional subscrioption since they said that they won't have one and it's in line whith what they've said. The subscription would probably just support them and give some minor perks like a moderate ammound of UEC and maybe something else that's cosmetic or such.

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
I think the subscription plan as it is now would be a good way to go. nothing game changingly major added each month for subscribers, all of which I believe is available for purchase on a piece by piece basis if you subscribe for a month, maybe throw in some UEC too

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
If
I think what they'd do is have an optional subscrioption since they said that they won't have one and it's in line whith what they've said. The subscription would probably just support them and give some minor perks like a moderate ammound of UEC and maybe something else that's cosmetic or such.
If I remember right buying a limited amount of UEC is definitely a thing.

WaterShield

Space Marshal
Oct 16, 2015
RSI Handle
WaterShield
I'd be happy to support them with a subscription like that.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I'd be happy to support them with a subscription like that.
As a subscriber, you get gear and access to new ships in game too, to try for a month. It's not bad of a deal. You can often buy the ship early too, but a word of warning about impulse buying in this game. You can suck up a lot of "spare cash" and make it scarce, without even trying hard.

WaterShield

Space Marshal
Oct 16, 2015
RSI Handle
WaterShield
As a subscriber, you get gear and access to new ships in game too, to try for a month. It's not bad of a deal. You can often buy the ship early too, but a word of warning about impulse buying in this game. You can suck up a lot of "spare cash" and make it scarce, without even trying hard.
Ahhh. I meant further down the line when the game moves out of Alpha. As far as Impulse buying... I've determined I will not buy any more ships (Constellation Andromeda, 350R, M50, Sabre Raven, and a Polaris). I've sunk in more than enough money for now... and I want to leave something to be earned in game XD

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Ahhh. I meant further down the line when the game moves out of Alpha. As far as Impulse buying... I've determined I will not buy any more ships (Constellation Andromeda, 350R, M50, Sabre Raven, and a Polaris). I've sunk in more than enough money for now... and I want to leave something to be earned in game XD
That sounds like a good plan, honestly. I'm going on a year since my last new ship, but I've upgraded a few so I can do what I want in game. For me, buying ships right now is just a way of supporting the game development better than I otherwise would be.
and honestly, I look at my ship list and can't remember why I bought some of them. I have 2 Cutlass Black's. 2. Same ship. what was I thinking?

Forgot your password?