Account locked - any experience or advice?

sharpeone

Admiral
Dec 30, 2019
RSI Handle
Sharpeone
Yes, don't buy from the grey market, I know :(. I felt like I was careful in purchasing from legitimate sources, but I've definitely learned my lesson.

So my account has been locked for two weeks + and I've not heard anything from CIG outside of the original email from my ticket. Has anyone had any experience with this process? My biggest frustration is that since the account is locked, I have no way to check on my ticket other than emailing them with no response back. Is there any other course of action to get any information outside of email?

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
Nope it's definitely a charge back at the first reply mentioned it. I'm just curious if anyone else had experienced this and how long it took. There is zero communication from them.
Yikes, that sucks.
I have no ideas on what additional actions you can try, but I wish you the best of luck.

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
I have very rarely engaged CIG customer service. But when I have they replied, in Concierge, within a week. But perhaps with more people hanging at home now they are getting more requests? I try to keep in mind that if just 0.1% of backers send just one email per week, a dude in customer service is getting more than 2000 emails each week to reply to. So they likely are just backed up.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Yes, don't buy from the grey market, I know :(. I felt like I was careful in purchasing from legitimate sources, but I've definitely learned my lesson.

So my account has been locked for two weeks + and I've not heard anything from CIG outside of the original email from my ticket. Has anyone had any experience with this process? My biggest frustration is that since the account is locked, I have no way to check on my ticket other than emailing them with no response back. Is there any other course of action to get any information outside of email?
Out of curiosity, what did you buy?

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I hope it gets resolved soon.

So how does it work?
You bought item from grey market.
I assume you received item.
Why they would lock you?
Did seller bought ship with stolen CC?

This is how it worked.

Somebody sells their account for to a trusted middleman. He then finds a buyer.

Buyer pays middleman who then gives him the account login.

New owner logs in, changes email and password and enjoys brand new fancy ships!

Original owner of account contacts CIG and says "I think I was hacked, I can't log into my account!"

CIG tracks account history and can not verify if claims of hack are true or not, also will not bother spending time investigating grey market transactions, so they simply revert account back to original owner.

Sharpone tries to log in, sees he is locked out with no way to get back in... CIG will probably not be responding because they do not support or provide assistance with any grey market transactions that go south.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
This is how it worked.

Somebody sells their account for to a trusted middleman. He then finds a buyer.

Buyer pays middleman who then gives him the account login.

New owner logs in, changes email and password and enjoys brand new fancy ships!

Original owner of account contacts CIG and says "I think I was hacked, I can't log into my account!"

CIG tracks account history and can not verify if claims of hack are true or not, also will not bother spending time investigating grey market transactions, so they simply revert account back to original owner.

Sharpone tries to log in, sees he is locked out with no way to get back in... CIG will probably not be responding because they do not support or provide assistance with any grey market transactions that go south.
Oh snap. I was thinking a ship purchase, not an account purchase. If that's the case, that's fucked. Best of luck.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
You bought a whole account? That is about the most dangerous thing you can buy!

I hope cig can sort it.

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
Some advice
  • Never ever ever ever EVER buy SC accounts unless you can afford to lose them. (btw that's called black market not grey market, for account trades)
  • Grey market is 100% fine for ship buyers if you do your due diligence and can handle walking away from a deal if it feels fishy.
  • Never buy from a new shmuck you know nothing about, only buy from trusted sellers who have been actively selling for over 6 months, preferably a few years.
  • Don't buy from middlemen either. Sometimes trusted sellers sell other people's buybacks and ships, don't buy those. Ask specifically if the seller owns this ship in his hangar or if the ship is in his buyback because you do not buy from middlemen. Most of the long time sellers will tell you upfront if you ask.

If you bought an account that someone is being fraudulent with you about, or a fraudulent seller sold you a ship... Your only recourse, that I know of, is a chargeback or legal.

Sorry you got your account locked, I hope it works out for you.

Forgot your password?