AI Adjacent

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Fair enough. So to return to the more central issue, let me ask “what do we actually want from AI?”

Certainly there are blessings but I think the cursings are far greater. There’s no way to stop this and as Elon Musk notes, it’s probably too late anyway.

Google teaches their AI to lie. Government agencies teach it to snoop and commit every kind of privacy violation. Mad scientists have taught it to teach itself, so certainly it is out of human control. Were someone to harness it for use in Star Citizen, I would not be surprised if it took over the entire UEE and conquered the Vanduul.

It’s quite capable of independent, creative thought. I’m a fan of The AI Guy’s DND episodes online at YouTube. Some of that is the best storytelling I’ve ever seen. Whatever AI he’s using, it is already way past genius level. Way past savant.

So can you use it to make more believable NPCs in SC? Obviously. The question is, is that wise? I don’t think so. Ultimately, AI is will without a soul. It is volition without conscience. It perfectly matches the profile of history’s most prolific and obscene serial killers. It is necessarily sociopathic because computer scientists can only mimic behaviors and cannot grant a soul.

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
So I see Aram showed up. No surprises there. BTW folks, I blocked him because he invaded a thread on home defense and tried to get me to remove my pro 2A posts from my own thread, which apparently offended him. He wanted me to remove the entire thread because though guns are cool in games, he is anti-gun and he cannot bear anyone think sensibly about the responsibility of gun ownership. Typical Leftist censorship of any notions he disagrees with.

I will also note I did not derail this thread. I responded to communist rhetoric without changing the subject. All this discussion relates to the questions surrounding AI. Will AI emerge in a capitalist society accustomed to keeping our most base impulses in check (like our computer games), or it will emerge in a communist society where evil is given free reign? So this discussion is perfectly appropriate.

Naff, I did warn you. You came to this thread angry about something that happened in a post several weeks ago on a very different issue, and created a problem here where none existed. I warned you if you didn’t stop I would block you and now unfortunately due to your lack of emotional maturity, common sense, and self control; you are blocked. It’s a shame but your ankle-biter nonsense needs to come to an end. So. . .it is ended. Best of luck.
I suppose it was always going to come to a close this way, and bittersweet the final straw was my asking others not to treat you as you treated others.

By your own hand our relationship has ended, your choice - by your own hand be it.

I will not be blocking you and I will continue to enjoy and benefit from your infrequent posts on making ships stealthy, for they are goodly and worthy of the GLORY of TEST! But wherever I see disrespect from yourself or anyone else against another member of TEST, I will not hesitate to call it out.

I find it interesting: you are only the second person ever to invite me to take something to Montoya, the other: VirtualAce.

1704870045762.png

Infamous company indeed.

Farewell and fair weather on your journey, citizen.

And with that we can return to the thread topic.

I’m afraid I’m no expert in AI. I do think it’ll be fantastic for SC if the devs can pull it off for NPC interactions. As for how it’ll pertain to my industry, many of my colleagues are fearful of it. I'm cautiously optimistic that it can complement our work, not replace it.
Thanks for your angle - your observation of 'compliment' in regard to movies really captures the imagination!

An angle I hadn't thought of, resource, sentience and the morals of being targets aside, image not just using it for believable enemy behaviour but also having NPC crew who are fully functional characters with AI generated actions and dialogue with near unlimited player-like agency? It would very much compliment and enhance gameplay, you wouldn't be playing a game with a crew, you'd be playing a game alongside a crew. An algo-sentient doesn't have to just be a target.

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

Mudhawk

Rear Admiral
Donor
Oct 30, 2022
RSI Handle
Mudhawk
Here's an interesting article on how AI can influence the gaming industry:

https://www.ign.com/articles/for-better-or-worse-ai-was-the-star-of-ces-2024
Now that gave me shivers down my back (in a good way)
Actual Quote from the article.
"Imagine, for instance, that in-game books and lore entries aren’t just for you to read, but also to train a large language model [LLM] that lets you have dynamic conversations with literally any NPC you encounter."

Now imagine you walking towards G-Loc and hear people discussing how someone just blew a hole in that Polaris (you did) and then continue the new Avenger MK III (because MKII is lame after the Zeus came out).
Maybe someone starts cursing in the Trade Division because his speculation failed all because the C2 worth of Diamonds and Gold you just sold.
Or maybe you can sit back on Orison and listen to a group of cadets discussing the Vanduul hierarchy.
If these things happend without a prerecorded , ever repeating pattern then it would lead to an immersion on a level I only ever experienced, well... , outside of games....
Obviously it would be counter effective to give all the NPC access to all the lore of the game.
But give them limited acces based on their perceived background and function and everything should be dandy.
Then again, it might also be fun to listen to a couple of male Marines discuss the color palettes of of different lipstick brands.
I'm not judging... :-P

Forgot your password?