RSI Handle
Kenlee

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I wouldn't normally give DS the oxygen of publicity... but to slag off the William Shatner when you work in Science Fiction?!

I think Shatner put it best when he said "...he obviously has cognitive issues."

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Mr brain fart clearly forgot that the title for a rock scientist is called a Geologist. Just saying. Then again, he probably aroused himself by thinking up an idea for yet another failure of a game. So that thimble sized amount of blood that his brain usually has to do anything rushed south where the only way to notice is that he actually manages to become more idiotic.

On that note, I would love it if CIG would hire William Shatner to portray the role of the Imperator of the UEE since according to IMDB that role hasn't been filled yet. Then the Trekkies & Star Wars fans can have something to enjoy together.

Also, it would possibly make this happen with Mr brain fart.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
I never thought I'd see this... The Big Bill Shatner vs our favorite detractor:

https://twitter.com/WilliamShatner/status/1005418139545268224

:astonished:

If you get to see this Mr Shatner, TEST sympathizes and knows how you feel.
O...M...G! I am so sorry that Kirk had to feel our pain...even for an instance...before he fired phasers and photon torpedoes and blasted Mr. Not-So-Smart into oblivion.

Can't wait for DS to start dissing Shatner now...probably is going to start calling it "Scam Trek" lmao

Agent_Mothman

Space Marshal
Aug 8, 2014
RSI Handle
CubCadet1972
Mr brain fart clearly forgot that the title for a rock scientist is called a Geologist. Just saying. Then again, he probably aroused himself by thinking up an idea for yet another failure of a game. So that thimble sized amount of blood that his brain usually has to do anything rushed south where the only way to notice is that he actually manages to become more idiotic.

On that note, I would love it if CIG would hire William Shatner to portray the role of the Imperator of the UEE since according to IMDB that role hasn't been filled yet. Then the Trekkies & Star Wars fans can have something to enjoy together.

Also, it would possibly make this happen with Mr brain fart.

In game posters show Ortwin as the imperitor.

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
Wow. How do you sleep at night knowing Shatner took the time out of his day to call you crazy and block you out of his life. Like, I don't like DS but man I feel bad for him sometimes. The guy is literally crazy and no one has taken his access to the internet away yet.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Like, I don't like DS but man I feel bad for him sometimes.
Me too.

If you spend enough time trying to understand him, its terribly sad.

The worst thing I ever saw was him live streaming himself playing a game he made (or was working on). It looked like a bad alpha of Planetside 1.

It was obviously nothing that was even close to being released, but he was so proud of it. He was explaining how the guy shoots and goes prone, and there is a bad guy that you can shoot. He was really beaming with pride about this thing he made, which was nice.

The bad part was that the guys in his stream were saying things like "Oh man, this is way better than Star Citizen!" and "This looks extremely promising Derek!". They were being complete trolls, but he was thanking them for their great feedback. It was really sad to see people play him that way.

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
Me too.

The worst thing I ever saw was him live streaming himself playing a game he made (or was working on). It looked like a bad alpha of Planetside 1.

It was obviously nothing that was even close to being released, but he was so proud of it. He was explaining how the guy shoots and goes prone, and there is a bad guy that you can shoot. He was really beaming with pride about this thing he made, which was nice.

The bad part was that the guys in his stream were saying things like "Oh man, this is way better than Star Citizen!" and "This looks extremely promising Derek!". They were being complete trolls, but he was thanking them for their great feedback. It was really sad to see people play him that way.
I have spent some time, and you are definitely right. At first I was like fuck this guy. Then I thought the guy was crazy, but not in a mental health kind of way, just more like asshole crazy. Then I looked at his tweets, his videos and his blog. I've seen that video of that stream you mention. It really is sad and those of you reading this should take note. It doesn't excuse his behavior, but this goes way beyond him just being an asshole. I wonder if this all started when he was in video game development, when he was the "old school developer" and started facing major failures. I could sit here and try to be an internet psychologist, but what I'm getting at is it's probably best to let the guy suffer alone. He has absolutely nothing else in his life but a past of failures in something he clearly loves and holds on to. I do want to have a beer with him though and talk Star Citizen. I think that would be interesting.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Me too.

I know what you mean.

I have not studied his output deeply as his public facing manner turns me away, however I have respect for what he has managed to achieve considering little indpendent studios really are up against it and the fact is, no matter how much some people don't like it, he has managed to stay in business.

If I made a game on a budget that probbably wouldn't cover the yearly cost of the free tea and coffee in the canteen of an AAA budget studio, its likely my game would be a steaming pile of crap but man would I be proud of it...

I don't deny him his opinion either, we are all entitled to our opinions - my only beef is his responses when his opinions are challenged or clearly shown to be assumptions, and when he treats others discussing with him with the same distain as shown to Mr Shatner. The time he attempted to bait TEST members in to making personal comments about him and then used them as examples of SC players being horrible people was a particular low point too...

Maybe that's the kind of attitude you have to have as a minnow in an industry full of whales but when speaking to the public show the respect you yourself demand, and you are more likely to get it.

Last edited:

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy
Funny as hell, can't believe I'm only seeing this post now.

I've been living under a rock, maybe i should consult a rock scientist to see if I can improve my living conditions.

Deadnedz007

Vice Admiral
Jun 30, 2018
RSI Handle
Ddzdeadz007
I will be the first one to admit this as I don’t know this person... I had to visit his profile on Twitter to see what was going on. Does this guy rant about everything SC or is he just one of those miserable human beings that has to dump excrement on people to feel better about his meager existence?

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I will be the first one to admit this as I don’t know this person... I had to visit his profile on Twitter to see what was going on. Does this guy rant about everything SC or is he just one of those miserable human beings that has to dump excrement on people to feel better about his meager existence?
Yeah, I had no idea who he was when I joined SC either, he came to my attention when he baited the members of TEST into making negative comments about his character by calling us morons and part of a cult on twitter, and then posted the comments from the forum out of context saying (paraphrased) 'Slander and death threats, thats the kind of people backing Star Citizen are these the kind of people you want to hang out with?'

Derrick and Chris Roberts were competing devs back in the day. Chris made Wing Commander, Derrick made a game BattleCruizer 3000AD.

Wing Commander became wildly successful, had many many sequels, made a name for Chris sending him on his way to Freelancer, Privateer and many other games...

And BattleCruiser 3000AD...? Well, it was far from a failure accounting for 14.2% of publisher Take2's revenue that year, and bear in mind Derrick is still very much in business as a game dev, so at the core he must be doing something right... but the "Controversies" section of his games Wiki article says all you really need to know:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlecruiser_3000AD

Before publisher Take-Two Interactive released Battlecruiser 3000AD in September 1996, it had generated one of the longest and largest flame wars in the history of Usenet. This flamewar lasted for several years, garnered over 70,000 posts, and yielded a series of sites that documented and parodied its history.
Considering the above was Derricks first entry into video games and likely taught him any publicity is good publicity, is it any wonder that over twenty years later that is his Modus Operandi?

Last edited:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Considering the above was Derricks first entry into video games and likely taught him any publicity is good publicity, is it any wonder that over twenty years later that is his Modus Operandi?
You know, this may actually be the case. But, there are some lines that a professional should not cross, ever. Period. One of those lines is treating your competition with respect. Personal attacks against competitors is not professional. Relentless personal attacks against a competitor, their employees, and their family, borders on professionally unforgivable.

SullyQuindarius

Admiral
Dec 24, 2017
RSI Handle
SullyQuindarius
Scam Trek is vaporware. They're scamming us all out of our money, robbing us blind! The Trekkies are a CULT! Do we really want to associate ourselves with a franchise that has never produced a commercial success, other than several dozen flukes that may have been somewhat successful but are still complete and utter trash that prove nothing?

Forgot your password?