AMD R9 390X VS GTX 980 Ti Performance Leak

o-BHG-o

Space Marshal
Mar 25, 2014
RSI Handle
o-BHG-o
I now sli 2 980s and I swear it looks/feels/works the same as just having 1... I must be doing it wrong.
I only recently became aware that SLi and X-Fire only work in full screen mode. If you run anything in windowed or full screen windowed you are not using the SLi/X-Fire feature. Apologies if you know this already.

There is an option in the catalyst suite to display a logo on screen if X-Fire is working. Maybe nVidia has something similar?

I went with AMD a long time ago, because cheaper. I've stayed with them for no reason. I would gladly give up my X-Fire 7970's if I could afford anything else.

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal
Honestly some of you guys sound like Nvidia's marketing reps.

Yeah Nvidia has some good GPUs. But price-wise and performance wise they are no better than their current AMD competitors.

Nvidia and in turn the gaming market has been huge dicks about the PhysX API. Finally we see the latest PhysX versions CPU dependent but that is due to public outrage. When was the last time you heard an AMD user be outraged by some shady practice AMD pulled on them?

I was honestly impressed by what I heard and read about the 970 performance and I was just about to buy it, and it turns out it was all marketing bullshit and that the card had extremely serious design issues that showed up for users but hey, all those reliable benchmarkers out there didn't see shit.

I bought a USED reference R9 290, use it for extremely heavy rendering processes and simulations and I have 0 issues. Just for fun I stuck in a 970 that I borrowed from an unfortunate friend that wanted to compare cards and it was totally demolished by my R9. Rendering times on GPU using OpenRL for 4k Ambient Occlusion texture maps were lower by about 28% on the R9.

No, the true benchmark is not real world gaming applications. You have no right in complaining if you have 57fps or 63fps in a game. When your work depends on it thought, and you save 5 hours per day on render time, then that is a REAL WORLD BENCHMARK.

Reactions: Trick Shot Bob
Jul 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Salt_Lake
Lechuck i really would like to see some evidence of this. Also AMD counterparts work just as well as nvidia? I am sorry but my wifes 980 destroys my 290x. And last time AMD pulled a shady practice was the 290x pricing. It is still an unresolved he said she said argument. AMD saying it was resellers raising the price, resellers saying AMD did it. Similiar to the gamework situation, AMD accusing Project race car and Nvidia of crippling AMD, Project race car saying no official help was given by AMD. Similiar to the witcher 3 issue. Again both companies are dicks and it will remain like this until either 1 dies or more companies come compete.

Reactions: CitizenDad

CGPepper

Comrade
Nov 13, 2014
RSI Handle
CGP
Again both companies are dicks and it will remain like this until either 1 dies or more companies come compete.
Companies like IBM and HP always stated that manufacturing hardware is a slippery slope. Its an industry with high risk and very low reward.
If one of them was to fail, i bet we would still be using GPU's like gtx 9600.

Jul 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Salt_Lake
Companies like IBM and HP always stated that manufacturing hardware is a slippery slope. Its an industry with high risk and very low reward.
If one of them was to fail, i bet we would still be using GPU's like gtx 9600.
You are correct, why I bought a 290x for me this time keep both in business a little longer. The 390x is in the air for me this time, the rumors are every which direction with them. before you had a decent idea of the direction of 290x with a few wild rumors around.

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal
Lechuck i really would like to see some evidence of this. Also AMD counterparts work just as well as nvidia? I am sorry but my wifes 980 destroys my 290x.
You are talking about game frame rates again aren't you? And how does it destroy it exactly? I want pure numbers.

The official numbers for pure floating point performance calculations are 5,632 GFLOPS (290X) vs 4,616 GFLOPS(GTX980) and 4,800 GFLOPS(R9 290) vs 3,494 GFLOPS(GTX970). Also in 3DMark R9 290 scores x2.2 times higher than GTX970.

Since I am doing actual calculation and simulation work on the GPU I can assure you that the above analogies are true in application and the ambient occlusion calculation example I brought earlier is one of the most work intensive things you can do on a GPU. Ambient Occlusion map baking was actually used to reduce by excessive amounts the render time needed by render farms for the Pearl Harbour CGI scenes.

Also you can see the true computing power of the cards if you look at what cryptocurrency miners use.

Now if you will excuse me I will stop arguing if the card that costs half the money in retail price than a GTX970 is better if it has the same or higher performance (or even slightly slower to take your word) because it is simply pointless. Since those are tools I'm going to compare them using their market value and not their naming conventions.

Jul 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Salt_Lake
I am basing it off nuetral games and F@H. Mostly basing it off gaming since this is a game forum.

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph8526/67746.png
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph8526/67747.png

Cryptomining is in AMD favor since it is in my limited knowledge simple calculations that a gpu with more cores will be able to do more cycles a second to decode a key. AMD uses more cores than Nvidia giving them the advantage. F@H uses more smart learning which utilizes Nvidia more. since i dont do cryptomining and do utilize f@h, for my personal use Nvidia is better.

As I have said in before, use what is better for your use. In your case AMD is better, which is great they are great cryptominer and mass calculations. For me Nvidia is better because it pushes more F@H folds a day than AMD. I wish to see your results though as I am curious as to what you found between a 970 and a 290.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
Preferring one manufacturer over another is silly. Just buy whatever is more cost efficient and reliable. If that's Nvidia, great. If it's AMD, great.

That being said, I don't buy intel CPUs because they have a long and sordid history of scummy business practices, and I don't want to give them any of my money.

mindfart

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 10, 2015
RSI Handle
mindfart
TL;DR

All big businesses did something dirty.. else they would probably not be a big business (please spare me the 1 in 100.000 businesses that are honest, they aren't businesses you would want something from) And unless you are willing to spend your life as an amish or a hippie or something.. you need big companies.. and if you are saying that your not buying INTEL/AMD/NVIDIA/i dont really care what else cause they do 'dirty' business, you are just a hypocrit, cause all others are just as bad.

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
[Snip] AMD is my choice of GPU for gaming because I'm a very patient bastard.

Moderator edit: Thread cleanup.

Last edited by a moderator:

Devastat3

Grand Admiral
Apr 17, 2015
RSI Handle
Devastat3
I guess it always comes down to what you're using the product for... I just built myself an intel/nvidia machine and my wife who thinks "gaming is cute" a pretty much strictly AMD machine because of the price of components and I knew it would be sitting there gathering dust after a while... and to the level of gaming we do, benchmarks aside, I would venture to guess that they perform almost Identical with me having paid a hell of a lot more for my parts than I did hers. Now will her computer "blow up" in the next few months? that is yet to be seen, but with my fanboism aside (and I do love Nvidia, so much that I own an obscenely large amount of stock in the company) for the casual gamer like myself or maybe someone that is on somewhat of a tight budget, I don't really see a problem with going AMD. (<-- card carrying member of the more money than brains club)

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
[Snip] Moderator edit: Thread cleanup.

Everybody has different experiences with different vendors, irrespective of GPU manufacturer. Still, LeChuck makes a point: If you're not pulling that 20% failure rate figure out of your ass, then you should have sued the vendor for deliberately selling you bum cards.

The problem isn't the AMD GPU manufacturing process itself, most failures occur with the graphics card manufacturers themselves. I remember that Sapphire had a significantly higher failure rate a few years ago (and I got stuck on the receiving end for two GPU generations), after that I switched to XFX and MSi for my AMD cards, and I haven't been shafted since. (Except for the fans on some MSi cards, which were just bad.)

My conclusion: Some manufacturers buy cheaper binned GPUs that may have manufacturing flaws in them so they can compete in the marketplace on price.

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulEPeptide

Space Marshal
Dec 20, 2013
RSI Handle
PaulEPeptide
I guess it always comes down to what you're using the product for... I just built myself an intel/nvidia machine and my wife who thinks "gaming is cute" a pretty much strictly AMD machine because of the price of components and I knew it would be sitting there gathering dust after a while... and to the level of gaming we do, benchmarks aside, I would venture to guess that they perform almost Identical with me having paid a hell of a lot more for my parts than I did hers. Now will her computer "blow up" in the next few months? that is yet to be seen, but with my fanboism aside (and I do love Nvidia, so much that I own an obscenely large amount of stock in the company) for the casual gamer like myself or maybe someone that is on somewhat of a tight budget, I don't really see a problem with going AMD. (<-- card carrying member of the more money than brains club)
Yea, totally agreed. I have 3 machines I've built in the last 2 or 3 years. One has a 7970, one has a 750ti (HTPC), and one has a quadro k2200.

Honestly, I've been really happy with all of them. I have the nvidia shield tablet, which I really love, but I'm also really looking forward to seeing what the specs on the 390x are. I guess my point is that I'm way less concerned with min/maxing my purchasing decisions since I don't think my eye is tuned enough to really notice most of the differences anyway.

People's heads might explode when I say this, but it might come down to which games are bundled with the card...

Egriz

Grand Pooh-Bear
Donor
Jan 25, 2014
RSI Handle
Egriz
Thread is now open. Keep it civil. If you can't have a open discussion about a topic without turning it into an insult-battle, then we will have further issues to discuss.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Last edited:

CitizenDad

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 3, 2014
RSI Handle
SlvmL0rd
I am an idiot. And a drunk (hey I run a gaming pub, comes with the territory), but I said some messed up stuff and I feel bad. I should know better and I am working on it. I am passionate about honda's, and intel/nvidia. Two brands I know and love and I should learn to represent them better.

Much love and respect especially for you Krystal.

#hopesandvibes

EGRIZ IS A POOP AND AN AMD SHILL
Thanks, I needed that ROFL.

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
I am an idiot. And a drunk (hey I run a gaming pub, comes with the territory), but I said some messed up stuff and I feel bad. I should know better and I am working on it. I am passionate about honda's, and intel/nvidia. Two brands I know and love and I should learn to represent them better.

Much love and respect especially for you Krystal.

#hopesandvibes

Thanks, I needed that ROFL.
All is forgiven. The fanboy inside all of us can turn into a monster at times. :D

Like what happened with Mass Effect 3, can you believe that shit?

Forgot your password?