An idea for both present and future

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
So to start, a little history. I know some of you may think less of me when I admit this (if less is possible), but I used to play WoW fairly hardcore back in the mid to late 2000's. My wife and I were part of an amazing group and we saw some pretty great success on the cutting edge of raiding. It wasn't entirely due to the guild we were in though. Most of us in the guild were regulars, but due to life, skill, scheduling, etc, there were constant openings in the main raiding group.

We had the fortune of being on a very special server though. So any openings were always filled with quality attendees. It meant that every raid was fully populated and every event had full attendance (Usually with a handfull of people waiting on standby in case of a last minute opening). It is an issue that I have never seen solved to the same degree in any other organization in any other MMO that I have ever played. I'm not exaggerating either. It's always an issue with event planning. The reason for this success was a website that ran exclusively for that server. It was called Leftoversraiding.org and over 10 years later, it's still running and doing it's job. That's one helluva track record. Even engadget ran an article on them back in 2008.

Now, what made the whole system work were it's checks and ballances. Not everyone could post an event. You first had to be approved as a leader by the site's committee and it required an application. Once you had approval to post events, you could put one up and any site member could sign up for it. Site membership was open and free to all. Once the event was posted, and people signed up, the event leader confirmed the group selection from the list of signers who were in turn notified of their selection. It was all very point and click automated at this point.

This ensured each event was fully populated even without sufficient guild members. If one or more of the selected players turned out to be trash or troll (this applied to event leaders as well), there was the ability for feedback for each individual player. This way any other event leader can select with confidence based on other leaders' experiences with that player. This led to a reputation system that actually worked. Most of us took pride in our site standing and always had a place in events. The trash, on the other hand, was always quickly and efficiently weeded out.

I think something like that would be extremely beneficial in an org this large, both now and especially in the future. It solves a huge hole in event planning and accomplishes it's task with minimal allowances for abuse. Like I said, I have never seen event planning done so seamlessly in any other clan, org, or guild in any other MMO... ever. I'd love to see something like that here, especially with the size that Test has grown to. I think it could be an incredible resource.

What do you think?

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
So to start, a little history. I know some of you may think less of me when I admit this (if less is possible), but I used to play WoW fairly hardcore back in the mid to late 2000's. My wife and I were part of an amazing group and we saw some pretty great success on the cutting edge of raiding. It wasn't entirely due to the guild we were in though. Most of us in the guild were regulars, but due to life, skill, scheduling, etc, there were constant openings in the main raiding group.

We had the fortune of being on a very special server though. So any openings were always filled with quality attendees. It meant that every raid was fully populated and every event had full attendance (Usually with a handfull of people waiting on standby in case of a last minute opening). It is an issue that I have never seen solved to the same degree in any other organization in any other MMO that I have ever played. I'm not exaggerating either. It's always an issue with event planning. The reason for this success was a website that ran exclusively for that server. It was called Leftoversraiding.org and over 10 years later, it's still running and doing it's job. That's one helluva track record. Even engadget ran an article on them back in 2008.

Now, what made the whole system work were it's checks and ballances. Not everyone could post an event. You first had to be approved as a leader by the site's committee and it required an application. Once you had approval to post events, you could put one up and any site member could sign up for it. Site membership was open and free to all. Once the event was posted, and people signed up, the event leader confirmed the group selection from the list of signers who were in turn notified of their selection. It was all very point and click automated at this point.

This ensured each event was fully populated even without sufficient guild members. If one or more of the selected players turned out to be trash or troll (this applied to event leaders as well), there was the ability for feedback for each individual player. This way any other event leader can select with confidence based on other leaders' experiences with that player. This led to a reputation system that actually worked. Most of us took pride in our site standing and always had a place in events. The trash, on the other hand, was always quickly and efficiently weeded out.

I think something like that would be extremely beneficial in an org this large, both now and especially in the future. It solves a huge hole in event planning and accomplishes it's task with minimal allowances for abuse. Like I said, I have never seen event planning done so seamlessly in any other clan, org, or guild in any other MMO... ever. I'd love to see something like that here, especially with the size that Test has grown to. I think it could be an incredible resource.

What do you think?
So you are suggesting we implement some sort of reputation system here on the forums or where-ever?

How would you rate my question? ^ 5/5?

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
So you are suggesting we implement some sort of reputation system here on the forums or where-ever?

How would you rate my question? ^ 5/5?
Not at all. That sounds like way too much trouble. I am suggesting a calendar based, point and click, sign up system based on the Leftoversraiding system. If so, the following rules would apply.

• Only admin/officer approved members can post events.
  • All members can sign up to any event.
  • Event posters then invite from the list of those who signed up.
  • Once selected, those that sign up are automatically notified as accepted.
  • After events, the event leaders have the ability to make a comment on any trolls/greifers/bad eggs viewable only by other event leaders.

The only "reputation system" would be the passive result of any positive or negative feedback between event leaders. It's a system that worked better than anything else I've seen to get players to events.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Not at all. That sounds like way too much trouble. I am suggesting a calendar based, point and click, sign up system based on the Leftoversraiding system. If so, the following rules would apply.

• Only admin/officer approved members can post events.
  • All members can sign up to any event.
  • Event posters then invite from the list of those who signed up.
  • Once selected, those that sign up are automatically notified as accepted.
  • After events, the event leaders have the ability to make a comment on any trolls/greifers/bad eggs viewable only by other event leaders.

The only "reputation system" would be the passive result of any positive or negative feedback between event leaders. It's a system that worked better than anything else I've seen to get players to events.
That is more or less kind of the way its done now....

• Admin/officers are usually the ones posting events currently
  • Any member can sign up for any event (we commonly use google forms for rally and CFT)
  • The events never fill up all the way (i guess the limit would be 50 people based on how many you can have in a SC server currently)
  • Guilded.gg does a decent job of reminding people when they have an event coming up
  • Those leading the event usually keep track of which people did what and relay that info among other fellow leaders/officers/etc.
Overall, its a pretty good system, but like most things, could probably be improved upon.

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
That is more or less kind of the way its done now....

• Admin/officers are usually the ones posting events currently
  • Any member can sign up for any event (we commonly use google forms for rally and CFT)
  • The events never fill up all the way (i guess the limit would be 50 people based on how many you can have in a SC server currently)
  • Guilded.gg does a decent job of reminding people when they have an event coming up
  • Those leading the event usually keep track of which people did what and relay that info among other fellow leaders/officers/etc.
Overall, its a pretty good system, but like most things, could probably be improved upon.
Outstanding. I just browsed over there and now have an account on guilded. Thanks for pointing me over there. I didn't know it was up and running like that.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I've thought about a similar system. In fact I wanted it to be incorporated directly into spectrum and had at one point written up a feature request for it based upon events and ship captains. This way event coordinators can request specific ship classes or types and players can either pledge their ship to the mission or see if they can join the crew of a ship already going. Be it ship captain, ship crew or marine.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I think it could be an incredible resource.

What do you think?
I have been thinking on something very much like this for two years now, only specific to player generated Privateering combat missions. I had actually developed a pretty extensive system for collaborating and reporting, where Captains rate crew, and crew to rate Captains, such that a system would develop where the cream would rise to the top.

Who would not want to know which among us are the best turret gunners, and don't we think they generally ought to be better paid than someone who merely fills in? Don't we think somoene who navigates under difficult circumstances and in a flash can change everything through cunning microjumping, should have rewards for this? Don't we think those who develop the rare and even archane skills of EM Warefare Adept should be recognized for their conflict-tilting contributiuons? Don't we think the Captains who design genius missions and succeed where others would fail need to reap greater rewards?

I think this is all great and worked on it for a couple years until two things happend. First, I was told again that there is no place for groups like Privateering apart from the Mercs and Fighter groups that already exist in TEST, and we don't really fit either of those groups, so the Privateers are dead. We were smitten from on high by the great kabosh stick, at least for now. That's okay. There does need to be order.

Second thing was also important: rumors started circulating that Spectrum is going to provide for some of these next generation player resources!

So. . .I dunno what to say except that one needs to wait. If I were a coder, I would certainly be working my own project as a supplement to CIG's servcie that can be used just as you describe and more. I think people would pay for this. Certainly, I would pay TEST for this, and if we all pitched in $5, we could indeed pay someone to code state of the art stuff that would hugely enhance our gameplay. I am all for that, but I think it is still too early UNLESS you are a coder. If you code, there is a real opportunity here. Write this and sell it to CIG and it will be worth millions. Hell, design a reliable micro-jump calculator and you can sell that for hundreds of thousands, and really so long as you calibrate it in game, this should not be hard to do.

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
as someone who will probably fail ( a lot) and might be trash...i hope there's leeway for those of us trying to improve lol
That totally depends on who is leading your group.

Take me for example. I like having people with me who like to learn and like to improve.

I'd rather be with someone who is enjoying themselves learning new stuff and getting better along the way than with someone who already thinks they're too gud for others. Those people aren't fun IMO.

That's just me. Others are different.

Last edited:

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist

What do you think?
Great idea. We're hoping that guilded.gg will be able to help with this. It's new software but so far they are making good progress on it!

marctek

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 7, 2015
RSI Handle
Marctek
I was thinking about something like..... What are we talking about again?

Ha these are good ideas and hopefully guilded will give us some of this or future releases of spectrum will have the functionality needed.

If not by then I may be done with my latest attempt at school (28 years of attempts and counting) and have enough free time to help work on something.

Forgot your password?