An idea for our first Persistent Carrier. [Traditions!]

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
So, I'd been doing some late-night research into ancient mythology - basically trawling for names that worked well for ship names - and came across the ancient Egyptian mythology surrounding the Egyptian Ferryman of the Dead, Aken, and his ferry, the Meseket.

I thought, why don't we start a tradition that could one day become enshrined in the lore of both TEST Squadron and Star Citizen? And thus, the following was written...

The Meseket, also known as the Ferry of the Dead in Egyptian Mythology, would be the name given to TEST Squadron’s first persistent carrier warship, and the title of “Aken” would be given to the captain/commander on duty on the bridge. This title would be handed to the next shift’s captain, as needed. The idea of this tradition is to remind ourselves that the Captain is responsible for the ferry, which in its incarnation of a Carrier, will bless the world with the providence of death. The goal of using this myth as a tradition is to convey the idea that the ship carries only those who would condemn their enemies to the grave, and take their souls to the hereafter.

It is possible to use the word “Cherti” to refer to the crew, since they had volunteered (According to TEST’s traditions) - and subsequently are subservient to the God of the Underworld, Osiris, for as long as they remain aboard the Meseket.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aken_(god)
What do you guys think? I also have a massive list of mythological names that I plan on making into a public resource for TEST Squadron to make use of. There are a lot of names that could be given to TEST Squadron organization ships (the ship-share ones) according to their role and type, like for example, the Providentia - the name of a Roman Goddess of Forethought, which could be given to an exploration or high-spec scout ship.

Let's have fun talking about ship names and potential traditions for TEST Squadron. :D Fun names and serious names are both welcome here.

P.S. If I remember right, Montoya has declared that I am the Lorekeeper of TEST Squadron. :V

Last edited:

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
Also, with this kind of mythology enshrined in our first persistent carrier, everyone would have an excuse to be intimidating, menacing, and dangerous-looking. :D Think of it like the Curse of the Black Pearl.

With this mythology as the backdrop, it could serve to create an intimidating image for TEST Squadron’s persistent warship, and we could easily use it to leverage our actions in combat - think of building our legacy with stories of mercilessness against our enemies, and dragging our wounded enemies off to the brig (for whatever we’d like the public to imagine…)

Try to imagine overhearing a bunch of people talking about the legend (or curse) of the Meseket, and they mention that anyone caught by their Marines are dragged off, never to be seen again...and that pilots that encounter the Meseket's fighters, are torn to pieces, with little chance for survival. And those who do survive and are unlucky to be captured, are never seen again as well.

Our refrain would be "Bring out your dead... bring out your dead!"

Also this just inspired me to start working on a possible poster for this. It'll depict the Meseket as a simple ferry with a lamp hung off its bow, carrying old kegs of Rum, with the Captain at the till, and a group of semi-undead or the like in front of the ferry, wearing TEST clothes in various states of disrepair.

Last edited:
S

svenrichter

The idea is nice. The Egyptian naming scheme sounds very "Thousand Sons".
I like it.

I demand our glorious leaders ship is named "Amun-Re-Kamutef" He is a mixture of the sun god Amun Re and the god of procreation Min. He looks something like this.
Much like the pictures one might find of Montoya on the net, he is always depicted with a magnificent boner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Dalarast
S

svenrichter

I have my own criteria for naming capital ships that I find. No changing it or else I'll scuttle it.

1) Nervous Nekomimi. Everyone loves catgirls!
2) Kawaii Kitsune. Everyone loves foxes!
Yay another two theorems I destroyed by merely existing!

Dortz

Vice Admiral
Donor
Nov 4, 2014
RSI Handle
Dortz
I do like the 3rd name you have there squeaker.

As far as naming capital ships, I guess we know that there will be various classes of persistent ships, but the only one we 'know' of for sure is the bengal and kingship. And we all know, the first Bengal we get will be named 'Test Carrier Please Ignore' and get flown into the sun.

RipVanDan

Space Marshal
Dec 23, 2014
RSI Handle
RipVanDan
I recommend: TSBAS#1
Increase the number every time it is run into a sun or splodes due to some other drunken tomfoolery. I am up for other versions of the abbreviation it was the insurance claim counter I like.

Roflord

Captain
Jan 11, 2015
RSI Handle
roflord
I just wanna see a capship named "Margarito"
For those who don't know spanish: it's sort of a forced male form of "Daisy" (Margarita)

Kratok

Lieutenant
Dec 20, 2014
RSI Handle
Kratok
I can just picture the night we get our first Persistent ship. A night of celebration and drunkenness, followed a morning of "Dude, wheres our ship?"

Reactions: Sullivax

CrashMan054

Commander
Oct 23, 2014
RSI Handle
CrashMan054
I can just picture the night we get our first Persistent ship. A night of celebration and drunkenness, followed a morning of "Dude, wheres our ship?"
Knowing TEST, we'd find it perched atop the capitol building of the UEE, with devs circling screaming, "HOW?!?!?!"

divzro

Captain
Jan 13, 2015
RSI Handle
DIvZro
The tie in with the ship name and the capt title is legit. They already of talk of grave stones, if we could get a column like they do for our dead pilots past carried in the ship, could really make the name count. As Pilots pass, be a pretty good place for Drunken funerals.

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
I don't really like the idea of mythological names, personally. They have nothing to do with the ship or us as people. I think we should stick to naming it something relevant to us. The US Navy names ships after significant americans, places, words and events that are relevant to the US as a people; not outdated, unused, and irrelevant names we just thought sounded cool and are taken off wikipedia.

Our persistent ships will be earned (or stolen :P) by TEST's hard work, dedication, and drunken idiocy. I understand what you're saying, but naming a ship isn't just a matter of what sounds cool. Naming a warship is supposed to represent its purpose; to defend (and by defend I mean ruthlessly slaughter those who go against them) the interests of TEST. I think we should name our ships after people, events, concepts, and even words from our various represented languages that show what TEST is. Not some cliched reference to a lightning hammer or death god.

Reactions: Munken

rogesh

Space Marshal
Oct 25, 2014
RSI Handle
rogesh
ok that makes it clear our first cap ship will be named MONTOYAS NIPPLES!

CrashMan054

Commander
Oct 23, 2014
RSI Handle
CrashMan054
We're TEST. We don't have to name all our ships after old gods, but we'd be going against our nature not to give some ships cool-oriented names.

Forgot your password?