An idea for our first Persistent Carrier. [Traditions!]

theSquigzor

Commander
Jan 13, 2015
RSI Handle
theSquigzor
Well, aside from naming a ship after Roman Gods, my only other idea is For Great Justice. As it will be a carrier, and we may want to take off every Zig.

CaptainRichard

Stream Meister
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Sep 29, 2014
RSI Handle
CaptainRichard
Other than the general title of the Idris-P Party Boat for my cap ship, I'm heavily debating the name UEE MEGABONER for it. XD

I like how people in my Twitch stream are already trying to claim naming rights for it by some weird notion that I would even risk having someone name it the "Pretty Sparkly Pony" or some random horseshit like that. LOL

Huegpaynis

Space Marshal
May 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Huegpaynis
Name it the Goodfella's Tio.

Then in a thematic vein, we can call it uncle dick's when it inevitably becomes a hangar-bound bar.

RipVanDan

Space Marshal
Dec 23, 2014
RSI Handle
RipVanDan
Other than the general title of the Idris-P Party Boat for my cap ship, I'm heavily debating the name UEE MEGABONER for it. XD

I like how people in my Twitch stream are already trying to claim naming rights for it by some weird notion that I would even risk having someone name it the "Pretty Sparkly Pony" or some random horseshit like that. LOL
Can you imagine a fleet of "Pretty Sparkly Ponies".

"Captain I am picking up several... Pretty Sparkly Ponies on long range sensors.".
"surely you can't be serious, bring us in closer to investigate"

Last recorded log from patrol ship Thor's Hammer.

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
I was thinking Thoth was going to be the name of my DUR or Redeemer or Carrack . . . whatever I end up with . . . . . Ha!!!!! I like the Egyptian theam. No stealing!!!!!!!! I christian my ship THOTH!!!!
Thot*

Reactions: The Woodsman
S

svenrichter

How about Macbeth I heard that brings luck or something :)

rogesh

Space Marshal
Oct 25, 2014
RSI Handle
rogesh
we must call one of our cap ships BALLS OF STEEL and it would be famous for never loosing in space chicken :D

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
Back on topic @NKato , I actually REALLY like the idea of having the "captains" title be something related to the ships name. Especially if its going with an elaborate (or elaborate as you can get) exterior paint scheme/skin.

Some pretty vanilla, throwaway examples so people will get what I'm saying.

Ship: Captain:
Mjölnir Thor
Hrunting Beowulf
Gjallarhorn Heimdal
Grond Sauron

However. I feel that this needs some creative names, without being obscure. I can count the number of people who can rattle off Mesopotamian gods of wine and beer on one hand. On the other hand, I personally don't want to do anything too vanilla/overplayed (ex: Thor, Zeus, Odin, Poseidon) because that's not original at all.

Additionally, I think that this would be more suited for the primary crews of said ships to decide a name. (since there will probably be a lot of us floating around the various persistent capital ships, but some will "sign on" semi-permanently) I know I would be a bit annoyed if I found a Cruiser, helped get it up and running and was an integral part of running it, and some people who have never been within 12 jumps of it decided to name it some random Hindu god of goats or something.

Also this whole thing might be better suited to roleplaying, but I really like it in theory.

Reactions: rogesh

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
Back on topic @NKato , I actually REALLY like the idea of having the "captains" title be something related to the ships name. Especially if its going with an elaborate (or elaborate as you can get) exterior paint scheme/skin.

Some pretty vanilla, throwaway examples so people will get what I'm saying.

Ship: Captain:
Mjölnir Thor
Hrunting Beowulf
Gjallarhorn Heimdal
Grond Sauron

However. I feel that this needs some creative names, without being obscure. I can count the number of people who can rattle off Mesopotamian gods of wine and beer on one hand. On the other hand, I personally don't want to do anything too vanilla/overplayed (ex: Thor, Zeus, Odin, Poseidon) because that's not original at all.

Additionally, I think that this would be more suited for the primary crews of said ships to decide a name. (since there will probably be a lot of us floating around the various persistent capital ships, but some will "sign on" semi-permanently) I know I would be a bit annoyed if I found a Cruiser, helped get it up and running and was an integral part of running it, and some people who have never been within 12 jumps of it decided to name it some random Hindu god of goats or something.

Also this whole thing might be better suited to roleplaying, but I really like it in theory.
I agree with you on this. We should institute a tradition of plank-owners having a say in the ship's naming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plankowner

Basically, a plankowner is the original crew that manned the ship when it was commissioned, so we'll be seeing stuff like that. People who volunteered to be part of the first dedicated crew rotation for the ship would be entitled to one vote. The roster would have to be established, and ship name nominations made, and then a vote held. Once the ship is officially commissioned, that's when it will be named the winning name in the poll.

That said, we could also have a tradition of "interim ship names" for people who discover a derelict. It would go something like this:

• Derelict ship is discovered, and restored to operating condition.
  • The discoverer names it, like "TST Ragefury" or some such. This would be an interim name, and recorded in the ship record.
  • As the ship is being worked on and TEST Command is figuring out what to do with it, management can start a volunteer roll, from which the first crew rotation's plankowners would be selected.
  • The selected crewmen are notified that they are plankowners, and given a link to a forum thread for ship name nominations. The vote is held a week later, and the ship name is selected.
  • TEST Command rechristens the rebuilt ship to the name that was selected by the Plankowners. The ship is then officially commissioned for active duty in TEST Squadron.

Note: We should institute a prefix requirement as well.

TST for personal TEST member ships, which can be used optionally. And TNS which stands for TEST Naval Ship, which would indicate that it's part of the official TEST fleet and a commissioned ship in the Squadron.

Last edited:
Reactions: AntiSqueaker

Dranoc

Autistic EVE Player
Donor
Feb 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Dranoc
I agree with you on this. We should institute a tradition of plank-owners having a say in the ship's naming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plankowner

Basically, a plankowner is the original crew that manned the ship when it was commissioned, so we'll be seeing stuff like that. People who volunteered to be part of the first dedicated crew rotation for the ship would be entitled to one vote. The roster would have to be established, and ship name nominations made, and then a vote held. Once the ship is officially commissioned, that's when it will be named the winning name in the poll.

That said, we could also have a tradition of "interim ship names" for people who discover a derelict. It would go something like this:

• Derelict ship is discovered, and restored to operating condition.
  • The discoverer names it, like "TST Ragefury" or some such. This would be an interim name, and recorded in the ship record.
  • As the ship is being worked on and TEST Command is figuring out what to do with it, management can start a volunteer roll, from which the first crew rotation's plankowners would be selected.
  • The selected crewmen are notified that they are plankowners, and given a link to a forum thread for ship name nominations. The vote is held a week later, and the ship name is selected.
  • TEST Command rechristens the rebuilt ship to the name that was selected by the Plankowners. The ship is then officially commissioned for active duty in TEST Squadron.

Note: We should institute a prefix requirement as well.

TST for personal TEST member ships, which can be used optionally. And TNS which stands for TEST Naval Ship, which would indicate that it's part of the official TEST fleet and a commissioned ship in the Squadron.
nkato pls

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
nkato pls
oh hush, I agree with what he's saying so far. As long as they aren't all weird mesopotamian gods no one knows about, I'm happy. I mean, unless TEST votes for weird mesopotamian gods. Then the point is moot.

Clowdy Howdy

Captain
Jan 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Clowdy Howdy
In the same line of squad or group names, I thought of using slightly absurd and bastardized old religious, alchemic, medical or simply extremely old fashioned terms and organizations. Demonstrating our eagerness understanding, despite our lack of advanced technical knowledge. Also, its funny to name after extremely low forms of tech and society in a game like SC.

The Convent of the Bent Ecument. - Diplomacy headquarters/channel named for unconventional means of "peacekeeping"
Leech Squad, Leech Adminstration Crew - Ship repair or medics (propaganda is easy with time period infographs or the plague doctor masked guys.)
Operation Burning Water - Drunk Fleet
Four Humors Squad - (Fleet doctrine built from 4 main categories of ships named after Hippocrates' concept. That concept:he body being made from yellow bile, phlegm, black bile, and blood, correpsonding with fire, water, earth, and air) Bonus points for unconventional fleet makeup.
Plowmen: Anyone on construction duty in a new TEST colony or facility- "I go out at dawn, driving the oxen to the field and yoking them to the plow. There is no winter so harsh that I dare to stay at home; but with yoked oxen and share and coulter fastened to the plow, every day I must plough at least an acre for fear of my lord." (cracks me up.)
Order of Self Flaggelation: or another name for the crew of people analyzing spreadsheets and stuff.

Those are some ideas.

Reactions: GrammarGestapo
Forgot your password?