Anthem 2.0

Scape

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 2, 2019
RSI Handle
Scape_TEST
Apparently Anthem is getting a complete redesign and re-invention in massive updates in order to address the numerous problems the original launch had.

I enjoyed alot about the game and im pretty sure i could give it another chance. Would you? Or should Bioware scrap it and focus on other games?

Zinnie

Admiral
Feb 11, 2020
RSI Handle
Zinnie
It depends on the cost.

If its a free update for us that initially got burned, then I will give it another shot. But if they are trying to do an Anthem 2.0 for another $60 then I'll pass.

As a man once said: "fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again"

Scape

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 2, 2019
RSI Handle
Scape_TEST
It depends on the cost.

If its a free update for us that initially got burned, then I will give it another shot. But if they are trying to do an Anthem 2.0 for another $60 then I'll pass.

As a man once said: "fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again"
Thats a really good point... I should imagine it would be free if you already own the game

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Apparently Anthem is getting a complete redesign and re-invention in massive updates in order to address the numerous problems the original launch had.

I enjoyed alot about the game and im pretty sure i could give it another chance. Would you? Or should Bioware scrap it and focus on other games?
You can only release a game once... or hmm, they did pull it off with that final fantasy mmo, so there is a slight chance that Beware can actually make this better too. But looking at "reinvented" games like No Mans Lie, I don't think this will be worth anyone's time.
I mean that is the game where they did tons of things to make it less junk than the original release, but they still couldn't add half of the actual interesting and worthwhile features that were promised in the blurb on the storefront, because they are constrained by the original engine. Unless they fully rebuild it, they can't change around that much.
More importantly, just like with NMS, the players already left the game. Who even cares at this point? Apparently even Beware doesn't as the Christmas lights are still up...

Hybus

Space Marshal
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Hybus
I don't know, I had origin membership at the time because I wanted to play a couple games like Titanfall 2 and not buy them. So I got to mess with Anthem for about a month.

If I was a teacher, the note written on that assignment would have been "Do over, project not as outlined, see me after class for detention"

I really hope there isn't an extra cost for the people who actually paid for it. However.......

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
It depends on the cost.

And as Minsc said...well, let's hear it in his own words:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy7Akye9sYQ

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Ill be loading it back this week to refresh my memory on how to play.

I would not be holding my breath that is a complete revamp.

At best, they will fix the loot drops and add some end-game gameloops to keep you engaged after you have done the storyline, which itself needed some rework.

Anything above that and I will be surprised.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I am glad I didn't touch this dumpster fire.
Ive seen worse, but the game itself has great mechanics and beautiful level design. The problem was that the studio had a deadline and was way behind. They pushed out a half-assed product to meet the deadline and this was the result.

Everybody here gets pissed about Star Citizen delays, and rightfully so, but Anthem was a great example of the other extreme.

Nobody was more frustrated than the devs themselves because the things they wanted, and could put in, were chopped in order to save time.

Here we are, a year later, and now they are pitching a revamp with all the fixes? Worth noting that there is no date on this Anthem 2.0, it could be 9 months from now.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Ive seen worse, but the game itself has great mechanics and beautiful level design. The problem was that the studio had a deadline and was way behind. They pushed out a half-assed product to meet the deadline and this was the result.

Everybody here gets pissed about Star Citizen delays, and rightfully so, but Anthem was a great example of the other extreme.

Nobody was more frustrated than the devs themselves because the things they wanted, and could put in, were chopped in order to save time.

Here we are, a year later, and now they are pitching a revamp with all the fixes? Worth noting that there is no date on this Anthem 2.0, it could be 9 months from now.
You speak truth. It's not like I too have not had the wonderful experience of having projects I'm working on released well before they were ready as its a terrible balance between late to market, out of money and a release that is too soon and has too many fundamental bugs, missing features.

But what I have been seeing over the past few years is a bigger drive amongst the previous top tier developers and publishers to do yearly releases on games that are not even half baked or are at best mods. And so I've stopped buying pre order (it's still hard to resist all the physical bonus items) and no wait a few months to see how the game pans out.

As for CIG my worry is not on the scope creep or how long it's taking as I hope the game is never truly finished as that means they have room to continue to expand. My concern is the continued reworking of the fundamental engine which is taking away from their ability to roll out working end-user game features. Like having to redo all of the planets for V4 planet tech. In the process of redoing all of the UI/UX while still not fully supporting all of the features they need is another rework. And while I am sure it's justified I am concerned over how many other roadblocks and reworks lie ahead and what the impact will be on their ability to deliver any new features.

Forgot your password?