Anybody buying the new Oculus Quest or S?

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
I am still enjoying my Vive and may start looking at the wireless adapter for it so I can play in a different part of my room (big screen tv!) I know Steam just released pre orders for their new headset as well.

Overall I am liking the growth of VR that is happening!

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I think Im leaning towards the Quest. Being wireless is a big feature for me. I want to be able to show guests some VR without them having to be at my desk.

You still waiting for next gen?

I'm not waiting for next gen as there is always a next gen, not much point on waiting if it already works well enough.
I'm waiting to buy a house (soon™) so I can have more then 1x0.5 feet of space to play in.
Also waiting for a little bit cheaper still...

Looking forward to your video on how you smashed up the living room with the freedom that the wireless headset gives you 😂😂

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I still wonder if SC will implement VR one day or not and how will it actually work.
Back when the hangar module came out, they did have some basic VR "support". I think it was in the cryengine code already? They did talk about official support for oculus rift and later the vive, but then said it wasn't time for that yet and it wasn't widespread enough to warrant any development time yet, so in the end it never happened.

Although I didn't have a proper headset, I tried it with Google cardboard + phone streaming from my pc. It only ran at a "decent enough" 7-10 frames when in something like 240p, but I did get to see my 300i in the hangar, in all the blurry yet pixelated 3d depth the cardboard could give lol
It even had some barely functioning head tracking through the phones sensor with the streaming software I used. As most phone sensors do after a little while, my phones sensor started drifting, so I almost threw up after like a minute or so lol
Fun times...

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
Back when the hangar module came out, they did have some basic VR "support". I think it was in the cryengine code already? They did talk about official support for oculus rift and later the vive, but then said it wasn't time for that yet and it wasn't widespread enough to warrant any development time yet, so in the end it never happened.

Although I didn't have a proper headset, I tried it with Google cardboard + phone streaming from my pc. It only ran at a "decent enough" 7-10 frames when in something like 240p, but I did get to see my 300i in the hangar, in all the blurry yet pixelated 3d depth the cardboard could give lol
It even had some barely functioning head tracking through the phones sensor with the streaming software I used. As most phone sensors do after a little while, my phones sensor started drifting, so I almost threw up after like a minute or so lol
Fun times...
I just wonder how you would actually operate a ship etc with vr

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I just wonder how you would actually operate a ship etc with vr
Good question!
I guess you could do it by using the thumbsticks (if there are any) on the two in-hand controllers? They act like the thumsticks on a gamepad as far as I know?
Interaction mode could be done by pushing a button one of the controllers and just pointing at the thing you want to interact with?
"Holding" two-handed weapons like rifles could get silly though with nothing connecting your hands in this case. I guess you could just keep a stick or some sorta plastic dildo on your back on a strap, that would act like prop rifle and connect up your hands for more immersion and better aiming?
I dunno, I don't have any "real" VR headsets, I just used cheapo phone headsets with a 360 controller or with m+kb while sitting at my PC, and haven't really had a chance to play anything else then fake-VR Skyrim (not the offical VR version). And that was very much broken as well lol

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I think the issue for SC is although VR is good for first person view where you are strapped into a seat and your hands are stuck to a controller like a Joystick, the moment you need to get up out of your ship and move about, or indeed press any keyboard key that isn't under your fingers in meatspace, it becomes achingly clear no you are not in a wondrous fantasy playground, you are in your underpants in front of a PC and that couple of pounds of screen strapped to your head is hindering you changing your flairs to chaffe etc because you can't see the damned button.

That for me it pretty much the issue. VR may be fun, but it is also in the way of you playing the game unless the game only has a handful of controls you never take your hands off, or if the VR magic wands can control everything in the game.

As Star Citizen doesn't apply in simplistic controls or VR magic wands, I'll not be partaking.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
What he said. I think for VR to be a compelling option for SC, you would need to be able to map your sim pit into the illusion, so that when you look down you see your hands on sticks or whatever controls you're using. I'm not holding my breath for that, though who knows what will be a decade from now. Personal combat becomes even more complex, so. . .

Drykhan

Captain
Donor
Apr 29, 2019
RSI Handle
DryKhan
Quest wont have the same Game availability as the Rift S. i'm going to Assume that rift S will be using same or simuler Program the Rift currently uses

Reactions: Bruttle and Scape

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
What he said. I think for VR to be a compelling option for SC, you would need to be able to map your sim pit into the illusion, so that when you look down you see your hands on sticks or whatever controls you're using. I'm not holding my breath for that, though who knows what will be a decade from now. Personal combat becomes even more complex, so. . .
Stuff that you don't want to crash into while playing can already be mapped roughly into VIVE space I think? so getting a static sim-pit mapped in with simple placeholder geometry should be doable with current tech and provide enough spacial reference that you can grab your joystick and throttle or find your keyboards even.

Most of SC-s controls should be diagetic (or whatever the word the devs called it), meaning in universe. You should have on-screen buttons in your ships for every function later down the line so you would have no need a keyboard. Any function that can be operated by mouse pointer could be operated by the "magic wands" in your hands.

And later, by much cooler tech!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK2y4Z5IkZ0

What I see an issue with is switching back and forth from magic wand to joystics. It would get really annoying really fast.
Having a tracked glove (with or withrout haptics) with individual finger tracking could help with this issue, but than you would need a prop/controller for guns....
Meh, it's problematic anyways. Someone will figure it out eventually lol

Schmunkel

Space Marshal
Jul 2, 2014
RSI Handle
schmunkel
This guy I follow on Youtube is using VR already in SC with VorpX. It honestly looks pretty cool, and he is only using the Gen 1 Rift Headset with a medium level system. I am very tempted to pick up the Valve Index after seeing how it reviews and giving this a try.

Reactions: Bruttle and Scape

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
What @Lorddarthvik wrote about is true. Even the technology we have now hasn't been stretched to its maximum. The next gen from these gaming headsets is already in development, and what they can do even now, will blow most people away.
This isn't 10 years out either, it's on our doorstep.

littlej0e

Grand Admiral
Donor
May 3, 2019
RSI Handle
littlej0e
Parts of SC are a perfect fit for VR, but I suspect it will be years before we see anything tangible. If you are interested in VR right now, take a look at the (poorly named) Pimax 8K. Best FoV on the market...

Reactions: Scape
Forgot your password?