Anyone else keeping an eye on Chronicles of Elyria?

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
I registered some time back and forgot about it until I saw this:

Maybe this link will work....

(Oh for christ's sake! How do you get the forums to *not* automatically change a gallery link to the media preview???)

It's definitely a cool concept. Anyway, if you're interested in registering here's my referral code: 7AB99B I don't know how the reward tiers "pay out" just yet, but it's free to register and get referrals.

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
I'll definitely keep my beady eyes on it, looks interesting. Mailman sounds like a kinda awesome job, just gotta keep running and dodging

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
Yeah, I think it could be really fun if they pull it off. I'm so sick of WoW, Rifts, and Guild Wars that I can't play them anymore, but I don't have any fantasy games right now so I'm craving some magic spells and dragon slaying.

FortuneBlack

Rear Admiral
Dec 26, 2015
RSI Handle
FortuneBlack
I backed it yesterday...it looks really good if they can get it up and running.

malhavoc

Space Marshal
Jun 26, 2015
RSI Handle
malhavoc
I too backed. I was doing countdown for it, reminding Boxer. Get a message from him on day of and I had forgotten. I've been following for some time checking multiple times a week and watching the Q&As with DM21 Gaming and such.

First time I checked I flashed back to 1992-1993 and had ASCII text maps in my dreams.

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
Ooh! I was looking forward to the KS on this, I'm very interested in seeing how it works out!

Adiran

Admiral
Mar 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Adiran
saw it and been kinda keeping up on it. if it makes it without my money ill get it when its out or closer to that time. Seems like a good idea tho.

Captain

Grand Admiral
Oct 16, 2014
RSI Handle
Dragon_Scales
I backed Shroud of the Avatar on Chris' recommendation... It's really been a big disappointment up to this point. Been trying to just stay away till there is some Meat on it's Bones. Maybe by the time "Chronicles of Elyria" comes out the end of 2017 one or the other will be the Game they are promising..?

Reactions: WhooptyWoo

WhooptyWoo

Admiral
Donor
Jul 18, 2014
RSI Handle
WhooptyWoo
I am very interested in watching the development of this one. So many new and fresh ideas for such a stale genre. Between this one and SC I have hope for the future of MMO's.

But also like SC how the devs deal with people trying to grief/exploit the system might make or break it.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
This actually sounds really amazing. And if I hadn't backed SC would probably be my main MMO. However, I don't like that your character stays online and ages while you're away. True, it's only a certain price per 10-14 months, but with as little time as I log in, I'd be paying more per hour than the normal person.

Still, I might just back and check it out.

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
This actually sounds really amazing. And if I hadn't backed SC would probably be my main MMO. However, I don't like that your character stays online and ages while you're away. True, it's only a certain price per 10-14 months, but with as little time as I log in, I'd be paying more per hour than the normal person.

Still, I might just back and check it out.
Yeah, it's a very interesting concept for a payment system, but at 30ish bucks for (effectively) a year's playtime I think the total cost per hour of playing will be very low. Hell, as long as you play for about 8 hours total you're pretty closely matching the cost per hour of a movie ticket (which is my personal standard for justifying any entertainment purchases).

CrudeSasquatch

Space Marshal
Jan 1, 2016
RSI Handle
CrudeSasquatch
However, I don't like that your character stays online and ages while you're away.
It's like real life, where you hide in the basement playing videogames, getting older, and eventually dying, having done nothing with your life, while your inspiration/motiviation/PlayerCharacter is out in the Universe being an energy wave... or whatever...

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
It's like real life, where you hide in the basement playing videogames, getting older, and eventually dying, having done nothing with your life, while your inspiration/motiviation/PlayerCharacter is out in the Universe being an energy wave... or whatever...
Dude...

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
Yeah, it's a very interesting concept for a payment system, but at 30ish bucks for (effectively) a year's playtime I think the total cost per hour of playing will be very low. Hell, as long as you play for about 8 hours total you're pretty closely matching the cost per hour of a movie ticket (which is my personal standard for justifying any entertainment purchases).
I might be misunderstanding it, but I think there's a reincarnation aspect. That is, a single character might only live for a year or so, but the soul would be free to reincarnate into a new body after that.

EDIT: That's a great big nope, I read a little bit deeper in and found this bit:
  • Q. What's the business model?
  • Chronicles of Elyria uses a unique business model that harkens back to the days of coin-op arcade machines. Rather than charge people a regular monthly subscription, we instead charge people on a 'per life' basis. In CoE, a Spark of Life allows a character to live approximately one real-world year before it dies of old age. As a result, people will typically buy a life once per year.
So it definitely is a bit rough if you don't have an opportunity to play much... say, surprise deployments, surprise babies, surprise computer fires, and other unplanned life events.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reptar Khan
Forgot your password?