Other Archaeology Profession?

Zookajoe

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 6, 2016
RSI Handle
Zookajoe
So, with the addition of "Relics" in the game, do we need to add an Archaeology Profession to Test? I mean the acquisition and sale of artifacts is a noble, time honored and lucrative profession. Many a graverob... errr... amateur archaeologist has, with tenacity, a little luck and a possible trail of cold bodies, made a fortune in this field. A case in note is that many of the Drake ships, which are known for being ideal for the acquisition and distribution of items in general, will fit in quite well in this venture.

What are your thoughts?

1663342713599.png

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Just thinking about the Lore, it's ripe for pickings!

There is the mystery of the Colonisation Generation Ship Artemis. It set off with 5000 souls in Cryo Stasis at Quantum Drive speeds intending to put a colony on a planet 200 years travel away but vanished on route. Look it up, artefacts have been found, a hull plate, a thruster, a body suspected to be the mechanic but lost in efforts to recover it... The ship is still missing... will you be the one to find it?

I believe there is also a planet somewhere in the Kabal system which is a time-capsule of Tevarin stuff which appears to have just been... abandoned. It's where they got the plans to be able to build the Prowler Dropship replica from.

Then there is Kaleeth itself which was the Tevar Home World, crewely terraformed by the UEE into what we know today as Planet Jalan, the fourth planet of the Elysium system.

And there is Garron 2, another terraformed planet... It was choc full of life including an Emerging Sentient Species which was wiped out of existence by Terraforming which also wiped out the Messer Era by being the straw which broke the camels back... What relics reside of that poor species?

And the Mystery of Planet Ergo in the Nemo system, a once oil rich ocean planet (until the Empire took all the oil) the mystery being how the oil, byproduct of organic life, got there as it is barren with no native life forms and no fossil record discovered as yet, the seas are as lifeless as the orbiting Asteroid around the planet named the Space Whale due to its unusual appearance... Was there once life on Ergo? Was it forced to leave having consumed the local biodiversity causing irreparable ecosystem collapse? Is that asteroid a purposely placed calling card of whatever the species that moved on was... and do they now reside in the clouds of Crusader now known as the Stormwhale...?

So hopefully you're right, there should be a bunch of archaeology beyond just these examples, too!

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Then there is Kaleeth itself which was the Tevar Home World, crewely terraformed by the UEE into what we know today as Planet Jalan, the fourth planet of the Elysium system.

And there is Garron 2, another terraformed planet... It was choc full of life including an Emerging Sentient Species which was wiped out of existence by Terraforming which also wiped out the Messer Era by being the straw which broke the camels back... What relics reside of that poor species?
Hmm. We call the Vanduul evil. Sounds like it might be a case of the pot and the kettle. I'm going to have to read more of the lore.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Hmm. We call the Vanduul evil. Sounds like it might be a case of the pot and the kettle. I'm going to have to read more of the lore.
Oh yeah dude, humanity, especially in the Messer Era, were fucking douchebags. Lol. Obviously not Canadian at all. 🍁🤣
They have stated in the past that this falls under exploration gameplay, as in you scan for ruins and collect rare artifacts.
eht0m1qg8dk21~3.jpg

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
We're not great.

The lore is really interesting, things like how the original United Nations of Earth had an event happen called Pax Humana where representatives of the worlds military marched on the senate is hailed as a moment of peace and unity however reading between the lines it has all the hallmarks of a global military coupe which would explain how the UEE came to be so militaristic as a society... History is written by the winners, after all, and it was such a long time ago...

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Oh yeah dude, humanity, especially in the Messer Era, we're fucking douchebags. Lol. Obviously not Canadian at all. 🍁🤣
We're not great.

The lore is really interesting, things like how the original United Nations of Earth had an event happen called Pax Humana where representatives of the worlds military marched on the senate is hailed as a moment of peace and unity however reading between the lines it has all the hallmarks of a global military coupe which would explain how the UEE came to be so militaristic as a society... History is written by the winners, after all, and it was such a long time ago...
Reading the lore is hard for me, but I get the picture. I'll try to consume more of it. Can I transfer to some planet that has at least 36 hour days?

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Reading the lore is hard for me, but I get the picture. I'll try to consume more of it. Can I transfer to some planet that has at least 36 hour days?
Personally I use FireFox's screen reader and have it play in the background while i'm doing other stuff. And even then I have barely scratched the surface I should really check out more.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
This . . . This is a thing?!
Yep, once a page has loaded in the URL bar there is a little document icon, the "Reader" feature which makes pages easier to read by stripping the page styles etc making it like a blank bit of paper:

1663483162160.png

On the Reader activated page there is a pair of headphones icon:

1663483245168.png

Click on it and you can see some small controls and when you click play it also shows you which word is being said:

1663483360203.png

This was how I read Platos Phaedrus. Where I could not easily consume the text reading as it's pretty heavy going, listening to it as Socrates would have preferred was a breeze.

Last edited:

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Yep, once a page has loaded in the URL bar there is a little document icon, the "Reader" feature which makes pages easier to read by stripping the page styles etc making it like a blank bit of paper:

View attachment 23449

On the Reader activated page there is a pair of headphones icon:

View attachment 23450

Click on it and you can see some small controls and when you click play it also shows you which word is being said:

View attachment 23451

This was how I read Platos Phaedrus. Where I could not easily consume the text reading as it's pretty heavy going, listening to it as Socrates would have preferred was a breeze.
This is fucking amazing! Thanks brother!

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I actually use Read Aloud that comes with Windows or ReadAloud for Chrome and Firefox. Both come with enough free voices. I use this every day, all day - if I'm using a computer (there are 4 on my desk), and 3 Linux servers over there behind me. ReadAloud works on MacOS too.
I also use a Corsair Void Elite Pro wireless headset, because I need to wear a headset all day, every day. It fits the most comfortably of all the headsets I've ever used, and that's a lot.

... and I still need 36 hours in a day.

and yes, I also have 2 tablets, and a cell phone. They have a different program.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?