Ares Inferno and Ion getting slight buff

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
This could make it useful for missions again.. will have to put some time into TESTing this once the change drops ;)

Daak Gelrin

Grand Admiral
Donor
Feb 17, 2020
RSI Handle
Daak
I just gotta remember where I parked mine, so I can test it out. They both stayed in my hangar, just under dusty tarps.

Ultimately, I want my long range back for attacking big ships again. Having these stand-off fighters knife-fighting is BS.

Reactions: Bambooza

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
I just gotta remember where I parked mine, so I can test it out. They both stayed in my hangar, just under dusty tarps.

Ultimately, I want my long range back for attacking big ships again. Having these stand-off fighters knife-fighting is BS.
From a game design perspective, I cannot argue and they may even have a necessary role. I certainly put mine to good use before the nerf, and enjoyed having the option regarding how to solve game problems.

Having said that, CIG created the drama and balance problems by introducing them into the game in the first place. In the real world there are no 'stand-off fighters' - the best of the lot is craft like the F-14 and F-15. The Tomcat carried the Phoenix missile specifically to engage Soviet bombers at over 110nm (unclassified range). It was a superb dogfighter in the hands of a trained and experienced pilot (well beyond the hollyweird legends) because the designers understood that closing to knife-fighting range was a fundamental aspect of aerial combat. The F-15's combat record is unmatched in modern aviation (although mostly missile kills).

Could rattle on about the subject at length; I'm retired US Naval Aviation with years on carriers. Bottom line in my thinking is that CIG needs to accept that they created the monster. They should get the other game systems working which are needed for the ships to function as truly intended and *then* reconsider the capabilities of the ARES.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Hmm interesting, I only really use mine for storing old beer cans whilst I am waiting for the refuse to be emptied.

Sad as I loved the look/feel of the ship and whilst the initial seal clubbing ability of it was fun - it was clearly OP and needed a change up - but as CIG have sadly shown again and again they are clueless about balancing anything so instead of doing something useful to it they made the completely retarded decision of giving it out of control bloom, making it incapable of hitting anything smaller than port olisar.

What would have really helped is to keep the gun accurate, but make the gun much heavier hitting but much slower both projectile speed and in fire rate. Thus a heavy hitter is born what will natively struggle to hit a fighter (though if you do get 1 in 10 lucky shot, the vanguard is one shotted) and is also better at hitting big ships coz right now it's completely useless at that too as the weapon is to weak.

Daak Gelrin

Grand Admiral
Donor
Feb 17, 2020
RSI Handle
Daak
From a game design perspective, I cannot argue and they may even have a necessary role. I certainly put mine to good use before the nerf, and enjoyed having the option regarding how to solve game problems.

Having said that, CIG created the drama and balance problems by introducing them into the game in the first place. In the real world there are no 'stand-off fighters' - the best of the lot is craft like the F-14 and F-15. The Tomcat carried the Phoenix missile specifically to engage Soviet bombers at over 110nm (unclassified range). It was a superb dogfighter in the hands of a trained and experienced pilot (well beyond the hollyweird legends) because the designers understood that closing to knife-fighting range was a fundamental aspect of aerial combat. The F-15's combat record is unmatched in modern aviation (although mostly missile kills).

Could rattle on about the subject at length; I'm retired US Naval Aviation with years on carriers. Bottom line in my thinking is that CIG needs to accept that they created the monster. They should get the other game systems working which are needed for the ships to function as truly intended and *then* reconsider the capabilities of the ARES.

/salute sir, thank you for your service. I understand the real world connotations of stand-off capabilities, being that I'm a retired Air Force guy myself with many years on the mentioned F-15C/D aircraft specifically. That beautiful machine was undefeated in aerial combat for a reason, and I sleep well at night knowing exactly why. ;)

In SC, I'm perfectly fine with the Ares fighters being heavy and not comfortable with a dogfight. I don't think they should be, they are big with a lot of mass and a cumbersome weapon system to get and try to keep on target. I only meant that the size 7 weapons should not have difficulty applying full damage on large ships from the maximum range of the weapon instead of needing to orbit close up. Lighter more nimble ships or smaller targets in general shouldn't have too much to fear from an Ares as long as the pilot isn't taking a nap or doing a crossword or something. But if they do put themselves in a bad spot... well, a size 7 should hurt.

I'm not saying one-shot everything, but significant ouchies should be felt if those cannon rounds connect with the little fellas.

Either way, I'm looking forward to trying out the reduced spread, it's a positive step that I hope will change the feel of these beautiful ships.

🍻

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
It is great to see that CIG is finally easing the nerf-hammer on the Ares...but it sure would be great if they'd do the same for the Defender.
All because the stock weapons were near-hit-scan at release the poor Space Crab keeps getting smacked by the nerf-hammer even though the Singe series has long been relegated to one of the slowest weapons in their respective Size (also one of the weakest, hottest, and power hunger.)

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
For those who haven't tried it yet... reporting back that the improvements are real, AND apply to the AD-4, 5, and 6 gatlings as well.

They've said this isn't the final iteration; even so it's good to have the Ion and Inferno useful again.

It's fun to run bounties with an AD-4B strapped to the nose of an Avenger :like:

Daak Gelrin

Grand Admiral
Donor
Feb 17, 2020
RSI Handle
Daak
For those who haven't tried it yet... reporting back that the improvements are real, AND apply to the AD-4, 5, and 6 gatlings as well.

They've said this isn't the final iteration; even so it's good to have the Ion and Inferno useful again.

It's fun to run bounties with an AD-4B strapped to the nose of an Avenger :like:
I have been flying my ION as well, and it is actually fun now. Bounties have been fun with it. It is viable for even the low-end ones, not just the HRT + ones. I'm loving it!

Forgot your password?