Updated OP.

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
I've been flying around in single player to scout out possible base locations.

Of course we'll want a main giant base on the huge central floating island. The Alpha Tribe on the server must hold this. But it generally doesn't have much access to rare materials so we'll need several outposts with a supply chain back to main base. A flock of Argents may help in the beginning but we'll want platform Queztals with storage bins on them for late game.

Two outposts that strike me from the beginning:
-Snow biomes to the north or south for Oil/Crystal and some Metal.
-Volcano biome to the east by north-east for Obsidian.

There are a couple good spots underwater for Pearls/Oil, but we'll have to wait for the water pump tech to live in one. Unless we just dive down to collect every so often.

I'll do some more scouting this weekend. Let me know if you guys see any on the map too. I have yet to find huge deposits of metal.
I'll fly around for a few hours tomorrow and scope. First thing I'll do is look at the spots you have mentioned.

I think our main base should be up high on a cliff where no Gigas can get to it, covered in turrets. We then keep in there all of our most precious BPs, since that is the hardest place to raid. The only way people can get there is via fliers, who take extra turret damage. It's really hard to raid such a base.

Outposts that have plenty of turrets can have copies of BPs that are good but not our absolute best ones. And outposts that are still developing can have some BPs that are useful but shitty quality and we don't mind giving away to whomever decides to raid them.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I think our main base should be up high on a cliff where no Gigas can get to it,
That floating island literally has no land path that I could find. May build a bridge if we want bigger dinos in main base. But that island is huge and people may try to build on lower section. Would require turrets and weekly raids to clear if anyone did manage to get a foothold.

I think it'd be a great challenge to hold that place. Giant raids wouldn't be a problem, but individuals on Pteras could land anywhere and we'd not notice.

I've done a little scouting on my laptop, which is shit, but I'll do extensive work on it when I get back home Friday on my desktop.

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
Had a little while today to fly around. I'm updating the OP with notes about each of the major areas including what dinos are found there, what possible base locations are there, where the loots are, etc.

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
Pinging people who have shown interest in TEST ARK previously. You guys want to participate in taking over a new official server? We have a tribe of 12 people so far. The server is supposed to launch some time in May. See OP for details.

@Anderson @Hydro_Axis @Knax @Shive @Krystal LeChuck @Eiyron @Munken @DontTouchMyHoHos @Hero9012 @Oberstleutnant @Vapsyvox @wexxe20457 @chrizz @Modeeper @Scavar @Elsa @Arrangingstars @inferno2113 @Ragnas @thanatos73 @Space Monkey @Vastair @Cable @sum1 @halfsane @Audax Phidippus @Crake @Tortilla the Hun @doffen @Guss De Blöd @UnderSc0re @Khilandros @Parrottmath @davidcastellani @Iesou @MammonLord @ACrzyRussian @CrimsonCyclist @TinMan710 @Turboxide

BOX3R

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
BOX3R
Had a little while today to fly around. I'm updating the OP with notes about each of the major areas including what dinos are found there, what possible base locations are there, where the loots are, etc.
Here's a thought ... what if we increased the crap out of resource rates, and had everyone build a base in one of these spots you mentioned, then practice raiding them as a group?

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
I set up a TheCenter test server so I could fly around and do this stuff.

If you (or anyone) wants to build some test bases in some spots, I can just spawn 10000s of floor/ceiling/wall/pillar/door/etc and you can build to your heart's content.

Better yet, I can give you admin access so you can spawn whatever you want for yourself, and fly around and be invincible, which is useful when building bases for test purposes.

Reactions: Grimbli

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Better yet, I can give you admin access so you can spawn whatever you want for yourself, and fly around and be invincible, which is useful when building bases for test purposes.
I'd like to do that

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
OK I updated the OP to include instructions for how to join the temporary server.

Everyone has admin access on this server so you can fly around and look at the map and participate in the discussion of what areas you think are worth focusing on, what might be good starting zones, etc.

@Grimbli I changed the admin password to admin to make it easier for people to remember.

Let me know if you have any trouble.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Did not work for me. But I just went through in single player and did the cheats. So from some more scouting I've realized there is every single resource but obsidian at the floating island. Oil and Pearls are down in the water underneath. The most obsidian is on the lava island surrounding the pool of lava. I think a base there would be good. We could even have a fabricator to process the stuff into Polymer before transport to make it weigh less.

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
OP updated. 14 people who want to play so far.

This is looking really awesome so far!

Sethious

Space Marshal
Staff member
Jan 1, 2014
RSI Handle
SethiousFel
Xist, doing a full wipe is probably the best at this point. Most players have migrated over to an unofficial server that is not a TEST Server. While it sucks to lose hundreds of hours of work, I'd rather have a fresh start for everyone involved than continue down this road.

Also, hopefully the game goes live soon so we can play an actual game of Ark rather than pretend fun fun time.

RipVanDan

Space Marshal
Dec 23, 2014
RSI Handle
RipVanDan
Xist, doing a full wipe is probably the best at this point. Most players have migrated over to an unofficial server that is not a TEST Server. While it sucks to lose hundreds of hours of work, I'd rather have a fresh start for everyone involved than continue down this road.

Also, hopefully the game goes live soon so we can play an actual game of Ark rather than pretend fun fun time.
Please do not do a full wipe without notice.

Reactions: Xaing

Sethious

Space Marshal
Staff member
Jan 1, 2014
RSI Handle
SethiousFel
Please do not do a full wipe without notice.

If you are worried about dinos, don't be. It takes about 15 seconds in a single player game to recreate any dinos and then upload them. But I doubt we will do a wipe without a notice.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I would like to change my role to Gather, PvP, and possibly a new category of Supply. It's similar to Build, but Build implies construction and building bases. I would either prefer to build the entire central base in my style or let others do it and not worry about it.

I think Supply would be more focused on creating weapons, armor, food, narcotics, etc.

I might do a few taming bits, but it'd mostly just be 1 Anky and 1 Doed for easier farming.

Reactions: RipVanDan

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
FWIW given the updated patch notes today, it looks like it will probably be June before the official server launches.

The next scheduled release is May 29, and it says TheCenter official servers won't be until after that. (No date specified).

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
So for base building I had an idea to save materials. Two ways actually.

1. Instead of foundations in an XxX formation simply fill in ceilings between, even on flat land, since ceilings are about half the cost. So a 9x9 base would be

OXOOXOOXO
XOOXOOXOO
OXOOXOOXO
XOOXOOXOO
OXOOXOOXO
XOOXOOXOO
OXOOXOOXO
XOOXOOXOO
OXOOXOOXO

2. Using dinosaur gateways as walls. You could accidentally open the side of the base I suppose, but that's about the only downside. The behemoth gate is approximately 7 wall segments long and costs 90 paste, 200 ingots, and 40 obsidian. In comparison, a 2-high metal wall that is the same length requires 14 metal walls costing 98 paste and 350 ingots, plus 7 foundations. And that's only 2 walls high, while the behemoth gate is 12 walls high!

Reactions: RipVanDan

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
Good thoughts! My reply below.

1) That would be an interesting way to get started, though for a long-term base, foundations are more stable and would help protect against raiding better. Also, logging out on ceilings is problematic as the game is still buggy and you can easily fall through the ceiling, through the ground and to your death. Always log out on a foundation! :) You can still fall through foundations, but it is much less likely.

2) Again the issue here is raiding. 15 rockets will destroy a behemoth dino gateway, and then Gigas can walk into your base and eat everything. If you build with walls, it takes a lot more rockets to get big dinos inside the base since you must destroy many sections of wall to make a hole big enough.

Reactions: Grimbli
Forgot your password?