Atlas countdown!

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Waiting 30 mins after the countdown to post another trailer and delay yet again?

ooof.... Prepare thy anus devs.

Not sure I can support this kind of behavior. They obviously knew they weren't launching ... what a dev troll.
To be fair, at least they arnt giving us a broke ass game that doesnt work out the gate. I'm somewhat glad they are delaying it so they can fix some last minute things.

SullyQuindarius

Admiral
Dec 24, 2017
RSI Handle
SullyQuindarius
Let me know how it goes guys. My game budget is getting slaughtered for now - picking up Just Cause 4 and Doom today as well as dumping another $30 into our beloved Scam Citizen to get a waayy better game pack.

Oof.

Reactions: Bruttle and Deroth

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
To be fair, at least they arnt giving us a broke ass game that doesnt work out the gate. I'm somewhat glad they are delaying it so they can fix some last minute things.
I honestly expect the game to be pretty buggy regardless. Delays aren't an issue, just don't wait AFTER launch to do it all while pretending all went as planned. There was literally no explanation or apology in their tweet .... just a trailer with a new release date, as if the countdown was for nothing more than a delay. It was a PR stunt that backfired badly.

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
If it is anything like Ark (same devs), then I think it will be a blast.
Agreed. ARK was great!

It was buggy as hell when they first launched it, but they put out releases daily to fix them and add new features. (They no longer do because the game is mature, but early on, they released stuff constantly).

Either way the game play was amazing. I'm really looking forward to seeing this one.

Also, ARK was kind of a first attempt at making a game. I'm not at all surprised they have recycled a lot of the assets into this new game. (Good for them! That's how to do it.) If the game play is compelling I'll play it, I don't really care that I've seen all the textures before. I'm not looking at this for a brand new visual appeal, I have SC for that.

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
Looks like it's been bumped back till tomorrow the 21st. They posted on Discord of all places. I never understood why game developers can never seem to communicate responsively. How hard is it to cut/paste a comment to twitter/facebook/forums/discord? That way people get the message no matter where they are looking? It takes what, 5 minutes? Why does it always end up a game of hide and seek to find where the devs are posting an update? I digress...

I'm actually really looking forward to it. Good or bad, it's something new. It also doesn't have a fundamentally flawed design/idea/monetization plan like all the rest seem to have. I am absolutely positive it will be a hot mess on day 1 though. MMO's always are.

So is everyone planning on going for the PVP or PVE official at start? Is anyone planning a private server?

Reactions: Xist

Kenlee

Space Marshal
Apr 30, 2017
RSI Handle
Kenlee
This game looks amazing on paper, but I have to check it out via streams before I buy it.
I want to see how many of the features in the game are actually working first.
If the game is solid, i'll be going PVE for sure. Love building and taming! Might get a private server going if the official realms suck and are full of griefers.

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
Here's the map along with some other interesting info!
https://www.pcgamer.com/atlas-mmo-map/
"it should take about 30 hours to go across the map in a straight line. "
Ouch. At first glance that looks very impressive. If you look at it a bit closer though, there's only about a dozen different islands. They're just copy/pasted in different locations and orientations. From what I can see, there's only one truly unique island. It's a little to the left of the exact center. I'm thinking that'll be the only custom created island, maybe starter area? I'll hold my opinion till I try it though. Honestly, with that many islands, I guess it would be unreasonable to expect each one to be "hand crafted".

EDIT: Actually, after looking at it again, it looks to be a 15x15 grid. Each section of the grid is different in some way. So if it's estimated to take around 30hrs real time to cross the map, that means that it'll take around 1hr to get from one island to the next. Even the islands that are relatively close together would take 30 minutes. The larger gaps would take closer to 2.5 hours. That's insane!

Last edited:
Forgot your password?