Banu Merchantman tease

Ploeperpengel

Space Marshal
Jun 17, 2018
RSI Handle
Sadis
Last SCL about 49min forward it pretty much sounded like they will decide to pause working on the BMM indefinitly any day now :/
It was being hinted at Paul Jones having been seeking new adventures (without actually naming him) and because of that the BMM has currently only a skeleton crew working on the exterior. J. Crewe was speculating whether it might be more useful to focus on other smaller ships that "add more value to the game".
I wouldn't put up any hopes we will see the BMM before 2025 ... which might at least be 5 years before the Endevour ;)

Garonman

Captain
Oct 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Garonman5
I'm seeing a lot of talk on other forums about the scrapping the BMM. Some are saying they are just slowing down to look after other ships while others are saying the ship is dead and to ccu or melt.

I don't know those guys as well as I know some here. What are we all thinking about it? Keep it or ccu/melt?

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I'm seeing a lot of talk on other forums about the scrapping the BMM. Some are saying they are just slowing down to look after other ships while others are saying the ship is dead and to ccu or melt.

I don't know those guys as well as I know some here. What are we all thinking about it? Keep it or ccu/melt?
If its the only ship you own and you need the funds to buy other stuff, sure, redeem for store credits and get what ever you want.

For 99% of us here, its one of many ships in the hangar. Whether it comes out next week or in 5yrs makes no difference to me, I just stopped caring about individual ships and their timeline. It comes when it comes, Im not holding my breath.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik

Keep it or melt it, your choice. You can always change your mind later. They aren't going to cancel it, in a large portion of their market, bate and switch is illegal so in those markets, they need to deliver what they have promised. Eventually.

Brictoria

Rear Admiral
Apr 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Brictoria
Until they can get vendors and NPC customers working (Plus larger outposts with NPC's "living" there), what would be the point of introducing the ship?

Without the gameplay for it being in place, were it to be released we'd just have another Reclaimer - A large cargo ship with it's intended gameplay awaiting development. With Squadron 42, there will be vendors (The quartermaster they show off from time to time is a basic example of the vendor NPC) and customers needed, to help with the immersion in that game, so once their focus in that game is turned to vendors\customers, and we have a number of populated settings added to the existing system(s) it will be worth releasing, but until then, it would just be a fancy cargo hauler inside a game which is not even designed for the quantity of cargo it would be transporting.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Until they can get vendors and NPC customers working (Plus larger outposts with NPC's "living" there), what would be the point of introducing the ship?
Didn't stop them with the Starfarer, as you say the Reclaimer, the Relent SEN, Reliant Mako, any Origin ship as the Luxury gameplay isn't in yet, any explorer ship like the Carrack.... actually almost any ship with a focus which isn't combat or Cargo :)

But yes I see what you mean I think the current thinking is should they push this limited use liner to completion or a bunch of smaller craft which more people have access too. I see value in both, personally I have my favourite ship/s flyable so I'm cool with the BMM being completed at the cost of waiting a bit longer for the X1, G12, 600i rework etc - Get the big job out of the way and the little jobs will be done quick after that. Do the little jobs first... and there will always be more little jobs that come along and get in the way of getting back to the big job!

Garonman

Captain
Oct 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Garonman5
Thanks guys. I was looking for your knee-jerk reaction to the question to see your feelings on it and I'm going to keep it. I have other ships and am growing my buy back pledge portfolio daily so i wont be a hitchhiker looking for a ride.

So far though, unless I land something big at the event, it's my crown jewel of my fleet alongside my Carrack so was really hoping the community still held hope for it.

Brictoria

Rear Admiral
Apr 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Brictoria
Thanks guys. I was looking for your knee-jerk reaction to the question to see your feelings on it and I'm going to keep it. I have other ships and am growing my buy back pledge portfolio daily so i wont be a hitchhiker looking for a ride.

So far though, unless I land something big at the event, it's my crown jewel of my fleet alongside my Carrack so was really hoping the community still held hope for it.
I don't have one yet (I do have 2 M2->BMM CCU's in my hangar from Alien week, though), but if I did have one, I'd be hanging onto it. The ship is underway, and simply needs artwork finishing and the mechanics for the "shops" to be completed (plus minor details like an economy that can support a large number of these doing trade runs, and enough settlements that the BMM's aren't all clustering in a relatively small, predictable number of places which would allow an A2 to have an easy time destroying multiple BMM's). Personally, I'd be happy to hear they had the ship completed, excluding marketplace, and that they were then putting it on hold until the shop (and NPC customer) mechanics were finalised (providing they are working on that), then once this is done (maybe demonstrated with the release of a small, solo player market ship) return to finish the marketplace portion of the ship.

What I would hate to see would be them either putting effort into completing the entire ship, then having to go back and rework it to allow for shop mechanics that were developed afterwards and weren't compatible with the work already done, or to have the ship, like the Vulture, complete for months and be in a "flyable" state, but refusing to release it because the intended gameplay mechanic is still not pesent.

It would be interesting to see it first introduced in a post release Pyro patch, parked at one of the settlements for people to visit.

Reactions: Vavrik and Garonman

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
Last SCL about 49min forward it pretty much sounded like they will decide to pause working on the BMM indefinitly any day now :/
It was being hinted at Paul Jones having been seeking new adventures (without actually naming him) and because of that the BMM has currently only a skeleton crew working on the exterior. J. Crewe was speculating whether it might be more useful to focus on other smaller ships that "add more value to the game".
I wouldn't put up any hopes we will see the BMM before 2025 ... which might at least be 5 years before the Endevour ;)
Good analysis here, Paul Jones departure will impact release probably.

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
I don't have one yet (I do have 2 M2->BMM CCU's in my hangar from Alien week, though), but if I did have one, I'd be hanging onto it.
Besides owning a few in hangar, the BMM is the core of my fleet plans here. This ship is a CCU gamer dream come true, allows you to access almost all high tier ships after the 500+ range providing you have other CCUs in stock.
I had close to 50 CCU's back in 2020, but sold almost 20 at cost to TESTies after the jump from 350 to 450 during IAE 2020.

Now I'm hanging tight onto my most treasured CCUs ;)

1669127974580.png

Last edited:

Garonman

Captain
Oct 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Garonman5
I don't have one yet (I do have 2 M2->BMM CCU's in my hangar from Alien week, though), but if I did have one, I'd be hanging onto it. The ship is underway, and simply needs artwork finishing and the mechanics for the "shops" to be completed (plus minor details like an economy that can support a large number of these doing trade runs, and enough settlements that the BMM's aren't all clustering in a relatively small, predictable number of places which would allow an A2 to have an easy time destroying multiple BMM's). Personally, I'd be happy to hear they had the ship completed, excluding marketplace, and that they were then putting it on hold until the shop (and NPC customer) mechanics were finalised (providing they are working on that), then once this is done (maybe demonstrated with the release of a small, solo player market ship) return to finish the marketplace portion of the ship.

What I would hate to see would be them either putting effort into completing the entire ship, then having to go back and rework it to allow for shop mechanics that were developed afterwards and weren't compatible with the work already done, or to have the ship, like the Vulture, complete for months and be in a "flyable" state, but refusing to release it because the intended gameplay mechanic is still not pesent.

It would be interesting to see it first introduced in a post release Pyro patch, parked at one of the settlements for people to visit.
Excellent points and totally agree with what you are saying. I guess patience is called for but with the ever growing list of ships, especially larger ships, lingering around for years while many more are announced it will always ask the question of "Will it ever"

in the meanwhile.. will the new Galaxy get added to the list or will it get rushed through? lets see.

Reactions: Vavrik and vahadar

RoosterRage

Captain
Donor
Jul 16, 2022
RSI Handle
RoosterRage

Without the gameplay for it being in place, were it to be released we'd just have another Reclaimer - A large cargo ship with it's intended gameplay awaiting development. With Squadron 42, there will be vendors (The quartermaster they show off from time to time is a basic example of the vendor NPC) and customers needed, to help with the immersion in that game, so once their focus in that game is turned to vendors\customers, and we have a number of populated settings added to the existing system(s) it will be worth releasing, but until then, it would just be a fancy cargo hauler inside a game which is not even designed for the quantity of cargo it would be transporting.
What you need to remember is that this ship will take at least another year or two with a dedicated team to make if they don't have something as simple as player selling and buying working at that time then this project will be dead.

Reactions: Vavrik

Brictoria

Rear Admiral
Apr 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Brictoria
Excellent points and totally agree with what you are saying. I guess patience is called for but with the ever growing list of ships, especially larger ships, lingering around for years while many more are announced it will always ask the question of "Will it ever"

in the meanwhile.. will the new Galaxy get added to the list or will it get rushed through? lets see.
I think that depends on whether they plan on working on all the rear modules that people will be able to swap in\out, or starting out with a single one, and what it is designed to do (transport cargo\vehicles, "explore", etc. would be more likely to enter production, rather than some military-oriented design) as it would need to fit within the existing system(s) without overwhelming the system(s) with them at the expense of other, smaller ships (How "immersive" would Stanton be if everyone was flying "combat" variants of the Galaxy).

With only one system (Stanton) in the game, working on\releasing "capital" class ships would probably be one of the worst things to do - They aren't intended to all congregate in a small area. Once Pyro (and later, Nyx, etc.) are released, they are much more likely to be worked on, as it would be more immersive from a gameplay perspective to see them spread across various systems, rather than players running into (for example) 10+ Idris' when leaving a station, or being unable to visit rest-stops without seeing them there.

RoosterRage

Captain
Donor
Jul 16, 2022
RSI Handle
RoosterRage
Good analysis here, Paul Jones departure will impact release probably.
Paul Jones was in charge of concept ships the BMM is John Crews baby now and I feel for him working with to few artists on his team, I personally hope that with Star Atlas being in trouble that CIG may get some of their people back that left to work on that project.

Brictoria

Rear Admiral
Apr 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Brictoria
Besides owning a few in hangar, the BMM is the core of my fleet plans here. This ship is a CCU gamer dream come true, allows you to access almost all high tier ships after the 500+ range providing you have other CCUs in stock.
I had close to 50 CCU's back in 2020, but sold almost 20 at cost to TESTies after the jump from 350 to 450 during IAE 2020.

Now I'm hanging tight onto my most treasured CCUs ;)

I've only been playing for around a year, so missed out on all the good bargains, sadly.

That said, I'm slowly building up a fleet (and NPC collection)... Along with a CCU collection that is close to reaching Concierge status on it's own - I just wish they'd stop releasing ships I want so I can reclaim some ships I've been forced to sacrifice to my Buyback queue.

I'm planning to hold off on using the CCU's (where possible) until much closer to release, to ensure I only end up with ships I want once their gamplay is completed and unlikely to change, as well as once I know how jump points will work, and whether having duplicate ships in various systems will be useful, rather than having to move them when I want to travel, or if the travel cost to relocate will be worth it (Or if I'm unlikley to leave one system at all).

Forgot your password?