Bedsheet physics are holding back Star Citizen!

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
As a 3d artist that realtime cloth sim still blows me away to this day. It's one of those "oh it's just a piece of cloth, you just click simulate and it works" things to the laymen, but anyone who actually worked in the industry knows that it's the deepest circle of hell. Even in offline sims we get clipping issues and all kinds of werid random crap on such pointy models like wings an such, yet it works fine in real time with CiG's tech. That is an actual achievement for the industry.
I'll love to see more drapes, rags, tents, flags and generic fabrics used as props all around the verse.. It's not something we necessarily must have right now, just like we all thought we don't need new eye shaders, but it will be nice to have when we actually get it.

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
Oh well, I always figured this was an investment for retirement! 🤪

But glad to see the tech as I'm assuming it will make flags, tents, canopies, etc. blowing in the wind more realistic / better rendered too.

• o7
Reactions: CosmicTrader

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
Damn it! I'm going to be 60 years old, retired, living in Alaska, trolling testsquadron.com because we're still in alpha and I'm bored! There is always an explanation, the trick is determining if it is the right one. The problem I always run into is when a customer tells me something is broke. The easy part is the root cause... yes Mr. customer it is because of x, but the fix is a little more complicated. So, bad software decisions made in the past have a bad habit of showing themselves years later.

Forgot your password?