Best HOTAS for Star Citizen? (Video)

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
What is the best HOTAS for Star Citizen? Let's pull out the big boys! The last time I used a joystick was well over a decade ago, so I thought it would be time for me to get acquainted with the latest options available.

I am TESTing out two HOTAS systems here, the X55 and the Warthog, enjoy!

Lienna

Space Marshal
Feb 27, 2014
RSI Handle
Lienna
I will say the M50 was a brave choice for the first start with a Hotas, that thing turns on a dime and goes at crazy speeds, that said it was quite fun watching you bust your 2 handed stick cherry!

Overlord

Captain
Nov 30, 2014
RSI Handle
OVERLORD_COOPER
Thanks for the video - a lot of work goes into making videos so much appreciated. The thrust control is much better on the X55 but the stick is better on the Warthog. Have you tried plugging in the Warthog stick with the X55 thrust? Now that would be a killer combination! I have seen videos of people using two different company sticks and I use two Thrustmaster sticks. And if the X55 thrust plugs directly into the computer maybe you can use it with the Worthog stick - a PERFECT set up!

Last edited:

JBWill

Vice Admiral
Donor
Nov 11, 2014
RSI Handle
JBWill
I've just been looking into getting a HOTAS, thanks so much for this. I may just wind up waiting to see what the SC branded HOTAS winds up being, but that x55 does look quite nice.

Huegpaynis

Space Marshal
May 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Huegpaynis
One thing to remember is that while the warthog has a metal shell, its internals are still plastic. That being said, it looks like a great stick and I'm sure any users will be very happy.

@Montoya, I am curious, did you try the different tension springs on the X55? I noticed the same "fighting the spring" sensation with the stock spring on my X55. It comes with a pack of 3 different springs that you can swap out by popping the plate off the stick base after you remove the handle. I switched to the blue spring and never looked back.

quazz

Grand Admiral
Jan 2, 2014
RSI Handle
Quazz
I think I'll wait until the RSI Hotas is around and see if it's any good before I buy any though.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I will say the M50 was a brave choice for the first start with a Hotas, that thing turns on a dime and goes at crazy speeds, that said it was quite fun watching you bust your 2 handed stick cherry!
You had to go and make stick handling sound dirty!

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
One thing to remember is that while the warthog has a metal shell, its internals are still plastic. That being said, it looks like a great stick and I'm sure any users will be very happy.

@Montoya, I am curious, did you try the different tension springs on the X55? I noticed the same "fighting the spring" sensation with the stock spring on my X55. It comes with a pack of 3 different springs that you can swap out by popping the plate off the stick base after you remove the handle. I switched to the blue spring and never looked back.
Yes, the X55 came with the strongest spring install.

I changed to the yellow one, which is the second smallest.

Reactions: CitizenDad

CrashMan054

Commander
Oct 23, 2014
RSI Handle
CrashMan054
This video reminds me of the first time I turned up my mouse's sensitivity to 6000.

Awesome video, thanks!

And I will never stop grinning like a child when you say stick.

halfsane

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2014
RSI Handle
halfsane
Thanks, informative and entertaining. You race better than I do!

Turn on COMSTAB ... it helps me a ton.

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
Montoya... so I think you should send your least favorite stick to me. I mean if your done playing with it. I will be sure to wash it off with some industrial grade cleaner and still wear gloves... probably all sticky with little hairs and all...

Great video (again) and keep it up... whats next on the your test of GREATEST CONTROLLER EVER...ever....Ever...?

Huegpaynis

Space Marshal
May 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Huegpaynis
It used to mean that, but the acronym is outdated since most of use use crazy straws and leave the drink on the desk or mount our beer in a drink helmet.

Reactions: WarrenPeace

Captain Easy

Commander
Nov 19, 2014
RSI Handle
captaineasy
As someone who has only ever flown with HOTAS or sticks and cannot fly with a keyboard it will be interesting to see how you adjust to using HOTAS.

Enjoyed the video and am looking to future updates.

You had to go and make stick handling sound dirty!
*ahem*...Wife, who could not see screen, scrunched her eyebrows and asked me, "What are you watching?" As you put your hands on the Warthog for the first time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Designated Drunk

Bothand

Captain
Dec 3, 2014
RSI Handle
Bothand
Been looking closely at the warthog since I saw You flying the racecource,
(or as I call it, the demolition derby.)
-Here's a thought:
I don't have any proof of this, but it sure looks like the Warthog was designed to ISO standards,
I.E. built originally for the Air Force.....I know how incredibly tough & paperwork-filled those standards are.

( document control review procedure form .doc ..... lol -you learn to read terms like these backwards, to understand them)

Being tough,& easy to dissemble/repair sure has the hallmarks of a Military design requirement,
& few companies can make/design products to these standards.

I imagine that, once finished with the contract, they could make a "lite" version for the public.
- & it would have many of the build qualities the warthog has.

I also imagine that the demand for an ISO rated stick is substantial,
being that the training of drone pilots is at an all-time high.

considering the rapid growth this tech has taken in the Airforce,
it is rapidly approaching 1/2 of the craft they currently field & deploy.

The Warthog & some Yellow enamel spraypaint,
& the Air Force's latest gen VR headset is what I'd like for Christmas, please.

/end rant

Forgot your password?