Best HOTAS for Star Citizen? (Video)

Madfish

Captain
Aug 10, 2014
RSI Handle
dottedfish
@Bothand no, Warthog wasn't made for the Mil. There are other companies out there which build better replicas and the hog is NOT a 100% replica (and sadly not easy to maintain either, some parts can break easily).

Sticks I have used which broke / were sold off / replaced by new model:
  • Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS
  • CH Fighterstick
  • Saitek X52 HOTAS
  • Saitek X52 Pro HOTAS
  • Misc. Logitech Sticks
I have also tested both the x55 and the x65.

I once already posted this but Montoyas conclusion is actually very much in line with what I recommend so I'll just post it again.

I'm currently using:
  • Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS
  • Thrustmaster T16.000 (usually together with Warthog throttle)
Plus various things I won't list up like rudder pedals etc. because they're not HOTAS :)

Things to take into consideration:
  1. Do you want to use it for simulation (e.g. are you going after a replica) or
  2. Are you going for playability (best hardware to get things done efficiently)
If you're after simulation there aren't many sticks I'd recommend aside from the Warthog.
That said it's buttons are hard to press, not of much use for everyday gaming (too many switches, massively lacking buttons and rotaries - only 1 button on the throttle grip, 2 more on the base!). It also lacks a twist feature.

Thus my recommendations for space pilots are:
  1. Saitek x55 (200$/€)
  2. If too expensive get a used Saitek x52 Pro (100$/€)
  3. If that is too expensive get a Thrustmaster T16.000 (35$/€ has throttle slider but no dedicated throttle unit!)
  4. If you're into other games, especially athmospheric flight sims then the Thrustmaster Warthog becomes what you want

The sticks above offer maximum precision possible at the price point with great amounts of buttons.

Remember: While you can build a F16 cockpit you'll never be able to build replicas of all space ships on Star Citizen for example. On top of that all additional custom hardware will be in the way if you are using Virtual Reality glasses. So prepare yourself with hardware that has massive amounts of buttons under your fingers.

If you decide for something else than the Warthog - give it some time to settle in. Actually even my thog was / is sticky. Grease helps but do use silicon based grease. But generally the gimbals need a few hours flight time to start working fluidly.

fraggdya

Admiral
Donor
Nov 16, 2014
RSI Handle
fraggdya
Montoya would you send me your setup profiles etc for the Warthog please? Struggling to set mine up :(

Madfish

Captain
Aug 10, 2014
RSI Handle
dottedfish
Set up in what regard? Curves, buttons? Are you flying with pedals or not? Are you a strafe fighter? Do you want yaw or roll on the stick x?
With some advanced target magic it's even possible to do what Elite does - a combined roll / yaw - but not everyone likes it.

There are a lot of profiles available on the community forums btw. - keywords are target, warthog and profile.

fraggdya

Admiral
Donor
Nov 16, 2014
RSI Handle
fraggdya
I've downloaded profiles and tried the target software but it hasn't worked well thus far. Have the Warthog and Saitek pedals.

Forgot your password?