Boarding locked Carrack

Mastersan

Space Marshal
Aug 14, 2017
RSI Handle
Mastersan
Hi All,

Wanted to check something with you.

I've been doing some investigation missions (find crew members at a crash site type of missions) using the Carrack. During one of those, there was another player's ship at the crash site. As I landed, I used 3rd person view, there was no one around. There is only 1 entry point from the ground - the ramp. When I've exited, I closed the ramp and checked that no one was around. The ship was locked. At the site there were a couple of players doing their mission. When I completed my objective, I headed back to the ship and saw that the ramp is open, and one player was inside, exploring the ship.

As far as I know there was no other way to get into a locked ship, except sneaking in. So, unless that player managed to sneak in, there should be no other explanation of how they were able to enter the ship.
I also know that if you use a mining tool with cutting attachment, or simply shoot a door, it will open, however I have only seen this on NPC ships and on doors or hangar bay doors, not ramps.

So I wanted to check if you know how could someone get into a locked ship, except sneaking in? Does shooting a door/ramp work? Any other ways?

Cheers! 🍻

Reactions: vahadar

Mastersan

Space Marshal
Aug 14, 2017
RSI Handle
Mastersan
The doors near the hanger can be shot and opened.
So, is it just the doors, not the ramp on the Carrack that can be shot open? This was on the planet surface though, not in space, and there was no ships, except another one ship landed. To get to the doors near the Carrack's hangar someone needed to fly there, so it's unlikely the way how they got in.

Mastersan

Space Marshal
Aug 14, 2017
RSI Handle
Mastersan
Always check using F11 the comms of the ship to see if you are alone or not inside.
That's a good idea, saving you time for a ship sweep. I remember there was supposed to be functionality to expel those you don't want on board from the ship. That's not implemented I think? And it's probably only going to work at ports?

Mastersan

Space Marshal
Aug 14, 2017
RSI Handle
Mastersan
I have TESTed shooting the doors on the Carrack today. I've tried shooting the ramp, the EVA round door, the doors near the hangar bay, the hangar bay doors. Nothing opened up.

wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
Some AI ship rammed my Carrack couple days ago; the ramp opened and stuck in the extended position -- I was no longer able to close it.

There are many doors and airlocks that can be opened by using force or gun fire; for example, Starfarer bottom airlock / docking port can be opened by shooting at it, etc. Some doors half-open only, like Ballista doors or Cutlass rear ramp.

Mastersan

Space Marshal
Aug 14, 2017
RSI Handle
Mastersan
What gun did you use? Basically, a rail gun can breach any ship door.
I've used Demeco LMG, spend quite a few rounds, but nothing opened. The player who was in my ship in the initial post didn't seem to have a railgun, only P4-AR. Will try using the railgun to open doors.

Flash Point

Admiral
Donor
May 19, 2020
RSI Handle
Flash_P0int
Are you sure you did not activate the open/close twice by accident? If you were on the ground and activated the button to close and managed to hit it again, it would have opened back up after closing.

Mastersan

Space Marshal
Aug 14, 2017
RSI Handle
Mastersan
Are you sure you did not activate the open/close twice by accident? If you were on the ground and activated the button to close and managed to hit it again, it would have opened back up after closing.
Absolutely sure. I usually wait for a moment before moving away from the ship, and the ramp was closed. I also usually look back a few times just in case, and the ramp was closed that time.

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
I've used Demeco LMG, spend quite a few rounds, but nothing opened. The player who was in my ship in the initial post didn't seem to have a railgun, only P4-AR. Will try using the railgun to open doors.
I have send some time ago in 3.8 some screenshots to CIG to show how player could enter the top hangar doors without shooting them (when it was still possible to prone and stick to the floor outside before 3.9). It was clearly an exploit where they were trying to gitch themselves in the texture and open the door from the inside. Maybe this guy did the same?
Another exploit from carrack ship thieves was to stand in front of door waiting for somebody to hit QT jump and they were then moved to the ship grid. I have not tested if this still works in 3.9.

Reactions: Radegast74

Mastersan

Space Marshal
Aug 14, 2017
RSI Handle
Mastersan
I have send some time ago in 3.8 some screenshots to CIG to show how player could enter the top hangar doors without shooting them (when it was still possible to prone and stick to the floor outside before 3.9). It was clearly an exploit where they were trying to gitch themselves in the texture and open the door from the inside. Maybe this guy did the same?
Another exploit from carrack ship thieves was to stand in front of door waiting for somebody to hit QT jump and they were then moved to the ship grid. I have not tested if this still works in 3.9.
That's interesting: both glitching through the textures and standing in front of the Carrack's door when you QT. However, I don't think that's how the guy entered the ship. since this happened on the planet surface, not in space so he couldn't EVA to the hangar doors. There was only one ship landed, except the Carrack, and that ship was landed all the time, so I don't think he flew to the hangar.

I guess the explanation may be the most trivial one, he could just have sneaked by somehow and I just haven't noticed him.

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
That's a good idea, saving you time for a ship sweep. I remember there was supposed to be functionality to expel those you don't want on board from the ship. That's not implemented I think? And it's probably only going to work at ports?
This also works if someone in EVA is on top of ship but not yet inside, you will see it in comms (actually the comms range of the carrack is a bit larger than the ship itself by a few meters so if someone is in close EVA to the ship he will be catch in the ship comms already). And if you dont pay attention to the notification telling he join comms, you can still monitor the ship comms time to time before/after taking off.

there is an old video from RSI somewhere where they show old stuff about ship security, and using a panel with a security code you have to enter to lock your ship. I am not sure what is the current plan for ship security but we dont have news since that video (need to find the link again).

Last edited:
Reactions: Mastersan

Mastersan

Space Marshal
Aug 14, 2017
RSI Handle
Mastersan
This also works if someone in EVA is on top of ship but not yet inside, you will see it in comms (actually the comms range of the carrack is a bit larger than the ship itself by a few meters so if someone is in close EVA to the ship he will be catch in the ship comms already). And if you dont pay attention to the notification telling he join comms, you can still monitor the ship comms time to time before/after taking off.
That's a good tip. In 3.9.1 the comms and people on your channel us right on the HUD, so I guess now you can always be alerted.

Mastersan

Space Marshal
Aug 14, 2017
RSI Handle
Mastersan
I've got this happened today during seize and destroy narcotics mission. The 4 sentry turrets at Teddy's Playhouse were shooting the front of my Carrack from a close range. At some point, I've heard the sound of opening ramp. After I took all the turrets down, I checked the ramp - on the ship self status screen it was red (damaged), and it was open. The control panels inside and outside the ship didn't work and the ramp was stuck open. Logging out from a ship's bed and logging back in didn't help. So that wasn't a bug. I've got this fixed at the nearest space port, and the ramp started working, including the control panels.

So, it looks like you can shot open the front ramp on the Carrack, but you need the firepower of 4 Antii-Air Artilery sentry turrets, which seem to have size 4-5 Attrition repeaters: 2 on each turret. Typically Carrack shields will block all the damage, but it didn't happen this time, maybe due to the short distance: ~225 meters to the nearest turret and ~325 meters to the farthest turret.

And I've got the whole thing on video. 🍻

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I'm wondering if the new distortion damage type coming with The Lightening Company will be better at unlocking ship doors...?

EDIT - or, thinking about it, if you shoot a ships door with the distortion weapons on your ship? Do we need to TEST this out? Alas I don't have access to my 350R with its DR-XJ3's right now due to the ship inventory bug.

Mastersan

Space Marshal
Aug 14, 2017
RSI Handle
Mastersan
I'm wondering if the new distortion damage type coming with The Lightening Company will be better at unlocking ship doors...?

EDIT - or, thinking about it, if you shoot a ships door with the distortion weapons on your ship? Do we need to TEST this out? Alas I don't have access to my 350R with its DR-XJ3's right now due to the ship inventory bug.
In the 890 Jump boarding mission the pirate Cutlasses are firing scatterguns and distortion cannons, but never opened any doors on Carrack. Maybe just not enough firepower.

Forgot your password?