[Brainstorm] TEST Public Outreach Programs

MzHartz

Vice Admiral
May 24, 2015
RSI Handle
MzHartz
One of the best things about EVE was the EVE University. They provided free training, skill books, and ships to new players, regardless of background. Widely considered to be one of the most stand up orgs, and I personally can attest to the fact that they have produced some fantastic pilots and FC's.

I don't know how feasible it would be, but I would love to have a "Rookie Squadron" where we could train up new people, offer them free ships and weapons (reasonable ones, no Retaliators or Vanguards) for FPS or flight combat, and then either let them join TEST, or go off on their own to another org.
As a still-noob, I love this idea. I had a friend (Baior) give me some basics to practice to just get used to controls and maneuvers, and it's helped tons. I love the idea of basic one on one training and exercises, maybe in a lesson format. Tutoring I guess.

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
This is actually making me very excited for the Crucible. I knew I wanted one anyways, but the idea of helping out in a PR initiative and the chance to genuinely help some people? That's even more rad.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
Something that I remember from Eve that was a good thing was the Goons giving their newbies free ships to use for fleet ops that were the most cheap you could get but had full equipment on for tackling and other tasks. They were cannon fodder sure but it was fun for them.

I propose on entry we give people an Aurora of their choice that is fully loaded to help them along in their journey and to give them another option. If they wanted to do Economy or Logistics stuff I'd hand them a Reliant instead.

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
Something that I remember from Eve that was a good thing was the Goons giving their newbies free ships to use for fleet ops that were the most cheap you could get but had full equipment on for tackling and other tasks. They were cannon fodder sure but it was fun for them.

I propose on entry we give people an Aurora of their choice that is fully loaded to help them along in their journey and to give them another option. If they wanted to do Economy or Logistics stuff I'd hand them a Reliant instead.
TEST Alliance had a similar program, called TEST FREE, which was a repository of newbie gear, basic supplies, and skillbooks. However, initiating a similar program in TEST Squadron will be difficult and potentially costly (especially if it's for reshipping/loading up for an engagement), and I would prefer that such budgets go towards supplies for training (such as Anti-Squeaker's suggestion).

In the long term, funding for such things will need to be done on a discretionary basis (like disposable income) and that would scale according to the current financial situation in TEST Squadron, accounting for things like ongoing projects and TEST Directives.

RipVanDan

Space Marshal
Dec 23, 2014
RSI Handle
RipVanDan
I remember something similar with Eve Uni. Even had an open combat training competition. A specific system and a specific ship show up and it's fair game. Ships provided.

Fenrig

Rear Admiral
May 25, 2015
RSI Handle
Fenrig
We could offer public education seminars? Basics of cargo management, basics of ship repair, basics of comms, etc.

Or we could produce funny videos for the public
I think this is a great idea, but I don't think it necessarily fits with a medical program. Further, I think that it might be a good idea to hold off on planning something like a public medical program until we have a better idea of where the core TEST Squadron ethos is headed (at least as a direct division within TEST). In a different thread NKato expressed disagreement with a program idea because it would potentially counter the effectiveness of other program concepts (notably, this one). It's a very valid point, and until there are some core defining statements on where TEST is headed (be it altruistic programs, or those focused on distribution of human-rights abuses) it is only worthwhile to discuss those programs that will occur entirely within TEST-affiliated orgs rather those that are intended to be core TEST Squadron divisions.

chrizz

Digital Janitor
Staff member
Officer
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
chrizz
if this works in the PU:

i'd go even so far to create an extra page for it. it could be a small section on our landing page with "Currently these rescuers are online:" and a "HELP!!!!" Button, redirecting the help seeking individual to our mumble.

also throw in some forum badges/achievements for so many people rescued and this service will thrive. everyone wants badges :D

e.g. the awards in this picture:

Last edited:

SeungRyul

Spreader of Truth / Master of Hamsters
Staff member
Donor
Oct 30, 2013
RSI Handle
Citizen404
if this works in the PU:

i'd go even so far to create an extra page for it. it could be a small section on our landing page with "Currently these rescuers are online:" and a "HELP!!!!" Button, redirecting the help seeking individual to our mumble.

also throw in some forum badges/achievements for so many people rescued and this service will thrive. everyone wants badges :D

Great Idea :D Like Reddit Rescue Force in Dayz!!!

chrizz

Digital Janitor
Staff member
Officer
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
chrizz
Great Idea :D Like Reddit Rescue Force in Dayz!!!
yea exactly but we create our own page, reddit is somehow not fit for this task.

also we would have yet another userbase to manage.

shadowvinez

Rear Admiral
May 30, 2015
RSI Handle
vinez
Maybe as a tag-on program, a free basic ship repair facility? We'll patch up your ship enough to get to a real workshop, no charge. Useful if someone comes in with their jump drive shot, or half their thrusters blown off.
great we are now the triple A of space sims or AAASS

Reactions: Groundstain

shadowvinez

Rear Admiral
May 30, 2015
RSI Handle
vinez
How bout instead we use our absurdly large force to bully bullies and griefers and (unlicensed) pirates out of certain sector or sectors. If we could establish a stable area of space in null sec that would be enough public outreach for a lot of people.

shadowvinez

Rear Admiral
May 30, 2015
RSI Handle
vinez
having organized events is always good we could have sort of "charity drives" where we help out beginning miners and protect them in low security areas

Damn Dirty Rat

Lieutenant
Jun 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Damn_Dirty_Rat , Foxtrot_DK
Great Idea! The eve university concept is also great and having both would compliment a steady media/propaganda campaign. We will never be free of haters. But at least they will hear us laughing at them on youtube.

honcho12

Space Marshal
Oct 12, 2014
RSI Handle
honcho12
disagreement with a program idea because it would potentially counter the effectiveness of other program concepts
No sense in having a program to make people like us more unless they don't like us in the first place!

thanatos73

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2014
RSI Handle
thanatos1973
if this works in the PU:

And in large friendly letters, the words "Don't Panic"

Forgot your password?