Build me a new PC: Oz

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
Hi guys,

i plan on having 32 gig of ram in my computer so whats going to be a better config 2x16 gig ram chips or 4 x 8 gig ones?
4x8. the more channels you have, the better.

Reactions: AstroSam

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
4x8. the more channels you have, the better.
No. Theres no performance advantage between two or four channels. Quite the contrary, you've currently(*) no performance plus but higher chances of failure possibilites. Furtheron, two RAM modules is more easy on the memory controller. I would always recommend to stay dual-channeled by using two RAM modules.

*...there maybe advantages in the future, when multicore-CPU with highspeed-12- or 16-core-CPUs ( >=4GHz per core) and their massive cache memory modules have to be fed by the RAM-section.

Last edited:
Reactions: orac_zen

Lexicon

Captain
Aug 1, 2016
RSI Handle
Lexicon
Just pre-ordered:
6144MB EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC Gaming

Hell yeah :cool:
Make sure you do the diligence and register for EVGA's Step Up program. If something happens (sudden windfall, SQ42 has a huge spike in system requirements, etc) and you want/need a different GPU, you can send EVGA your card within 90 days and they'll apply its full Purchased Value (eg the $ value on the receipt you send with it) as a credit on any new GPU they sell. This includes crossing over to AMD if the Vega release this winter has some sort of badass card.

So for example, if they go through with the pricedrop on the 1070 and it falls to $300-$350 around November, you can mail in your 1060, get $260 credit, and get a 1070 for $40-$90 out of pocket.

Reactions: AstroSam

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
Okay, sounds interesting. My warmest thanks for this hint! :) :) :)

Forgot your password?