Call button for ship.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Wow! I remember a few years ago this was bought up on Spectrum specifically referencing Lando Calrissians ship the 'Lady Luck' which has this featiure in Star Wars Lore.

As for which patch I dont know. I'd expect it to be one which includes NPC merchant ships flying from A to B, and Autopilot too, as those would use similar/same mechanics to make that magic happen, neither of which seem to be on the horizon.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Mentioned in the SQ42 email, you will be able to call your ship to you. Obviously that will come to us in SC. Do you see this coming in a .x patch for 3.19?
I fully expect this to be in 4.19.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Honestly, I would rather see a "rescue" ship come and take you away to a landing pad. You crash, you get shot up, your ship gets broken down, your ride takes off without you because you just had to have 10 more minutes with that greenskin you hooked up with while in port and they had specific time they would launch.

Calling your own ship to you just doesn't seem right. I would rather see an NPC get a mission to come pick you up, and then players get a mission to come pick up a NPC (which is one of the ways that it SHOULD be done. NPCs take maybe 10-20 minutes and cost a set amount. Players might be shorter amount and cost any amount (you could put in a bonus for very short time response). You must both also have good rankings (that are not wiped when you get rid of your crime stat) that show both are trustworthy of rescue missions.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Honestly, I would rather see a "rescue" ship come and take you away to a landing pad. You crash, you get shot up, your ship gets broken down, your ride takes off without you because you just had to have 10 more minutes with that greenskin you hooked up with while in port and they had specific time they would launch.

Calling your own ship to you just doesn't seem right. I would rather see an NPC get a mission to come pick you up, and then players get a mission to come pick up a NPC (which is one of the ways that it SHOULD be done. NPCs take maybe 10-20 minutes and cost a set amount. Players might be shorter amount and cost any amount (you could put in a bonus for very short time response). You must both also have good rankings (that are not wiped when you get rid of your crime stat) that show both are trustworthy of rescue missions.
I suspect an NPC would need the same tech in the background as a ship-call button and indeed full auto-pilot... And I don't think they'll leave out NPC/player missions to do pickups either as I don't think calling will be a default cost-free feature - I think it would require both an Autopilot computer blade and a specific ship-call blade, or at least an upgraded auto-pilot blade which would be less common in the 'Verse and maybe be limited to larger computers, too...?

A bunch of theorycraft from me but it stands to reason such an ability won't be easy to get or be without cost/consequence to other upgrade options on your ship.

Reactions: Bambooza

Drowez

Captain
Jan 8, 2023
RSI Handle
Drowez

I like this idea as well!

KuruptU4Fun

Vice Admiral
Dec 10, 2021
RSI Handle
KuruptU4Fun68
Rescue beacons are already in the game, and once Quantum is in play this should be something they add. However if I took a vehicle out and left my ship 2km away IMO calling in your ship to you is a wonderful benefit. Might require an AI blade to speed up response times..

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I think AI blades are the way to do this - you have to choose do you want to slave the massive turrets to pilot on your redeemer or do you want to remotely call the ship? You can't do both!!

Forgot your password?