Can Star Citizen keep up its record level of funding in 2022?

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
first!

I'd be curious to see a breakdown of backers' number of ships purchased and pledge amounts

do a few whales account for most of the spend or are the increases from large numbers of new backers?

I know I hit my limit several years ago and no amount of hype has gotten me to spend more

Last edited:

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
2nd!

I think 2022 will be another record year barring some global economic meltdown.

If the rumors are real and Pyro and server meshing is released this year, we'll see a flood of new backers coming in along with existing ones opening their wallets wider.

Jan 5, 2022
RSI Handle
KayronBrennan
Think they're on a pretty good way forward to keep people attracted to the game. Not sure if it will exceed the numbers from last year but think it will at least be stable.
From my experience the last couple days the stability already got improved pretty good. Didn't have any random disconnects so far which was sort of the norm in previous versions.

As Aramsolari said if they really come forward with at least the first steps (more players one instance) towards meshing the servers it will cause a good influx of new players/backers. Especially if coupled with the base building features which I'M for myself really looking forward to.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Not to seem like a downer, but while I suspect that the financials will remain above the 2019 & earlier levels, what will make things grow further is improved stability (which they've been working on), server meshing to allow more players to interact with each other in game across servers & opening up new systems for more opportunities for players to create their own content & experiences. Also, the more game play mechanics like science, salvage, transportation, etc that get their tier 1 implementations, the more players that are interested in those will test those out & draw more backers to help fun the project. The good news is that CIG is working on all of these to some degree. My concern is that progress in these might briefly stagnate & seem to be going nowhere for periods here & there. Such as the couple years before 3.0 was released when everything seemed to be on pause while CIG was converting the program from CryEngine to Lumberyard.

Carlos Spicyweiner

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2015
RSI Handle
DMGunslinger
I have an embarrassingly huge member( …er, sorry…got my Internet forums mixed up there🙄). I meant to say I have an embarrassingly huge amount of money tied up in this “game”, but I kind of came to my senses in 2018 and I don’t think I’ve paid full price for a jpeg ever since. And definitely when the pandemic hit and my disposable income dried up, I haven’t spent more than 200 bucks. I did buy a Spartan for less than $70, and I CCU’d my Hammerhead to an A2 for less than $100 over the holidays because I didn’t have to put gas in my truck for 2 weeks. But that’s kind of the way I see this going. As we emerge from the pandemic, we seem to be entering an economic downturn world wide. Unfortunately, I think CIG’s earnings might stagnate or decline for the next couple years.

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
Yes, if CIG sells the fabled Anvil cruiser, the Drake Man-o-War concept, the Origin 400e (stealth variant), the Gladiator Steel, a mid-sized refining ship, and new LTI tokens (new bike).

• Glorious
Reactions: Talonsbane

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
first!

I'd be curious to see a breakdown of backers' number of ships purchased and pledge amounts

do a few whales account for most of the spend or are the increases from large numbers of new backers?

I know I hit my limit several years ago and no amount of hype has gotten me to spend more

If you take total accounts and divide the funding it averages out to roughly everyone having a Cutlass Black, but given how many people I know including myself who are concierge, yea there are a ton of whales floating the funds.

The fact that there is a $40k Legatus package and it sells should be enough to go WTF LOL

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
If you take total accounts and divide the funding it averages out to roughly everyone having a Cutlass Black, but given how many people I know including myself who are concierge, yea there are a ton of whales floating the funds.

The fact that there is a $40k Legatus package and it sells should be enough to go WTF LOL
My appearance says oversized Ewok, but my pledge size reads more like Shamoo the famous performing orca.

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
The "average cost" of an "expensive" ship continues to go up. Old concepts continue to raise in price. More exposure overall. Dedicated backers.

They will continue to grow.

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane
Forgot your password?