Cargo haulers will probably get nerfed

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Jesus. All I need is a 500 SCU ship and I'm good for a couple weeks.
Well, the Endeavour has 500 SCU... And I just happen to have one. @NaffNaff wouldn't mind if you wanted to throw up in use his.

SCU = sobriety cancellation units?
If the shoe fits! Why not!

Sorry.... had to do some um, grammar corrections. Yeah that's it.. grammar..

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
SCU = sobriety cancellation units?
Seems legit. Guess I'll be buying a beerfarer . . .again.
Well, the Endeavour has 500 SCU... And I just happen to have one. @NaffNaff wouldn't mind if you wanted to throw up in use his.
Sweet. Gunna party like it's 1999.

Damn, I'm already cringing at the thought of the hangover.

Gagarin-61

Rear Admiral
Aug 10, 2017
RSI Handle
Gagarin-61
I don't now if they're going to get nerfed per se, but I do suspect that everything in terms of these kinds of capacity and power mechanics will get some kind of rebalance now that CIG is starting to zero in on (somewhat) complete metrics. Especially with older concepts that had a whole lot more hand wavery involved in their pitches than even what we're used to today.

The BMM has always had a huge cargo capacity, so I can see why they may want to tune it a bit as compared to more dedicated haulers like the Hull C.

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
First of all they compare the Hull A to a Mustang or a Aurora in which a Hull A carries considerably more SCU than both of those even if they change it in the future its going to be considerably more, if your gonna compare a Freelancers, Cutlass's and other medium size ships you have to do it with the Hull B which also carries considerably more even if they drop the value it will be more, I also think this is why they are right when they project a price hike because its cheaper than the alternatives.

I also think its in part about immersion when it comes to the Hull series, if you read the descriptions it talks about Hull A being a ferry for station to orbit use and the Hull B is talked about being a corporate support ship, so I think the intended roles of these ships vs something like a Freelancer which can much more than simply haul cargo is more target specific and the people who opt for a Hull over another ship with similar cargo space does it for those reasons. Just my 2 cents. :P

And there is also the whole ship mass and makeup that effect fuel and distance etc... that comes into play where a Hull series should out perform a similar size ship just because its designed to do one thing haul cargo.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
That will work well for it, but I mean basically a nitro powered, balls to the wall, hope you survive fork lift. All it does it get your goods from A to B as fast as possible and can't really do much else.
That is the description of the Mercury Star Runner.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I once tried to stave off a hangover for a week, buy staying drunk for 7 days... it didn't work. I both got the hangover, and couldn't stay awake more than 3 days.
Hahah and hangovers now are far worse then they were in my 20's.
Can't be hungover if you never stop drinking...
I feel like this sounds like a good idea, in theory...
That is the description of the Mercury Star Runner.
I'm getting a sense of deja vu.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
You will get a 100 units of what ever it is an SCU.

There is nothing smaller than one cargo unit, and 100 cargo units per SCU.

Having one cargo unit not = one cargo unit would make the whole system pointless.
Thanks for the response, apologies I didn't make it clear that I was partially theorycrafting there.

At the moment we are in the early implementation and indeed it is 100 units per SCU however you can purchase units in a little as 1, They will just go in a SCU box and rattle around a bit. Knowing this game for the scope it intends to have and that almost every other game with cargo as a mechanic takes the size of a unit into account, even if it is a rather simplistic Small, Medium, Large or "this item = 5 Cargo per unit", I don't expect SC to be any less rigorous with cargo considering they are going as far as to take velocities into account with balistic ship weapons to make sure the amount of damage a bullet does to ship armour is + 1000m/s if the target is advancing on you at that speed and -1000m/s if the target is moving away from you at that speed.

For example:

Mugs and plates. Both these items are available to pick up and carry around in the 'Verse right now.

- Taking a dinner plate from my cupboard, it is just under 1cm tall and 30cm wide. We can get 100 plates in a meter tall stack with a little left over and can have 9 stacks in a meter square. 900 plates in total in an SCU.

- Taking a mug from my cupboard, it is 10cm wide and 10cm tall. We can have 10 mugs in a stack and 100 stacks. 1000 mugs in an SCU.

Here is a spreadsheet showing the difference between the two, and what would happen if you only put 100 of each in an SCU:

1575789848720.png

It'd be really wild if you could cross-populate a SCU, but i think that would be over-complicating things:

1575791780915.png

Also, items larger than 1SCU are going to be one unit, but multiple SCU. Small class components are going to be person carryable. Large and Capital Ship components are going to be larger than a person can carry. You have 20 Large class coolers to get over to the Drake shipyards, you're going to need something bigger than Cutlass to shift them those. To put a number on it, lets say a large class cooler is 2 meters long by 2 meters tall by 2 meters wide, that's going to be one unit at 8 SCU.

I will happily concede that I have no idea where cargo may eventually go and it may stay as it is if it is determined not to be a priority mechanic that would benefit from the resources it would take to get this in place.🙂

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Wherever a TESTie finds the Ambergris, they have found a warm welcome.

I have recently taken up a Starfarer, The Murderers Child, there are no official details on the tank capacity as yet that I can find but according to a Wiki she has 3321 cargo capacity. The cargo bay is 291SCU which will obviously be filled with snacks, so that leaves 3030 for the tanks, or 505 cargo per tank.

If that is the meter square SCU cargo rating, and it's 505000 liters per tank, six of those make 3,030,000 liters... that's three million and thirty thousand.

Or in UK 568ml pints: 5,332,055.
Or in US 473ml pints: 6,403,530.

I forgot where I was going with this.

Why are USA pints smaller?

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Because the US gallon is based on the wine gallon, 231 cubic inches. It was a British unit of measure in the 18th century. You know what happened during the second half of that century? Well after that they never got told that the gallon was standardizing to 10 pounds of water... or they didn't feel like listening.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Wherever a TESTie finds the Ambergris, they have found a warm welcome.

I have recently taken up a Starfarer, The Murderers Child, there are no official details on the tank capacity as yet that I can find but according to a Wiki she has 3321 cargo capacity. The cargo bay is 291SCU which will obviously be filled with snacks, so that leaves 3030 for the tanks, or 505 cargo per tank.

If that is the meter square SCU cargo rating, and it's 505000 liters per tank, six of those make 3,030,000 liters... that's three million and thirty thousand.

Or in UK 568ml pints: 5,332,055.
Or in US 473ml pints: 6,403,530.

I forgot where I was going with this.

Ok, so I'll clone myself, and one of me will hang out on the Ambergris and one on the Beerfarer. Seems legit.

Wait. Then there'll be two of me, drinking twice as much beer. Shit.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Because the US gallon is based on the wine gallon, 231 cubic inches. It was a British unit of measure in the 18th century. You know what happened during the second half of that century? Well after that they never got told that the gallon was standardizing to 10 pounds of water... or they didn't feel like listening.
Thanks for the info, Interesting stuff.

Who knew a couple of hundred years later it would result with one person getting a bigger drink than another?

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Thanks for the info, Interesting stuff.

Who knew a couple of hundred years later it would result with one person getting a bigger drink than another?
Unfortunately for Canada, we get served American pints. It breaks my heart. I mean, we are the loyalists! Why'd we get saddled with smaller pints. It's not fair!

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Unfortunately for Canada, we get served American pints. It breaks my heart. I mean, we are the loyalists! Why'd we get saddled with smaller pints. It's not fair!
You might need to set your bar straight. There are potentially hefty fines for not serving an Imperial pint in favor of a US pint.(the News version contains a link to the legislation) Basically if it's a "pint" make it a real pint.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
You might need to set your bar straight. There are potentially hefty fines for not serving an Imperial pint in favor of a US pint.(the News version contains a link to the legislation) Basically if it's a "pint" make it a real pint.
Son of a bitch. Who knew! Now that I'm looking at it, I think I was wrong. In bars, we get 20oz pints, which is an imperial pint.

I was speaking to the pint cans we buy in Ontario, which are 473ml, or 1us pint.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Thats cool but what a Canadia Pint is even lower at 455ml? No wonder they are using the 20 fl oz.

"What did the Empire ever do for us?"
*Pours a pint* "Enjoy, my friend!"

Forgot your password?