Carrack Killer Video Response

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
The Carrack is more like an expert survivalist with a hand gun that can exist & explore anywhere despite the conditions, but can't create its own fuel. The Odyssey is more like a marathon runner with a knife. It can go much further distances due to being able to mine its own fuel, but has less defenses & if it runs out of fuel before can top back off, it'll be in the same situation as other ships, but be a large weakly defended target.

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
Honestly, how much was the Carrack loved, really, if so many melted it the very moment something perceived as better came along. The Carrack itself wasn't loved, perceived ship power was.

At the end of the day its just more of the same: Controversy about starships remains great for CIG's business. Just take look at the crowd funding levels!

Last edited:

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
"A man’s Self is the sum total of all that he can call his" - William James (The Principles of Psychology, 1890)

You have to listen to the way people talk about "their" ships. They attach their identity to these ships even though they are non-tangible. You think you have the "best" ship and its one you are passionate about. If something comes along that they feel usurps that ship, they take personal offense to it. It might be considered an attack on their identity. I'm generalizing here but it's my interpretation of some of what's going on.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Honestly, how much was the Carrack loved, really, if so many melted it the very moment something perceived as better came along. The Carrack itself wasn't loved, perceived ship power was.

At the end of the day its just more of the same: Controversy about starships remains great for CIG's business. Just take look at the crowd funding levels!
Eh, I think the controversy exists precisely because a number of people absolutely love their carracks and think it is the best, and everyone else should recognize it as the best, and now CIG is even saying something else might be the best, so those Carrack owners are having none of it.

I don't think the people who just CCU'd up to Odyssey are the ones making all the fuss, though maybe some are miffed that they need to spend an extra hundred or so?

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane

I love my Carrak, so I did my best to purchase a WB Oddy as well separately. I then waited a day to melt the Oddy to then use the funds to help secure other ships that I can either use now or to lock in the price for 1 "soon (tm)" through the CCU game. I'll now do my best to save up over time to pay my Oddy's way out of my buybacks when possible.

I don't know why anyone would fuss. The Carrack neither lost nor gained anything by the release introduction of the Odyssey. It sounds childish to me.
This is quite true.

Sorry @Montoya , that’s not Chris Roberts. That’s Kermit the Frog.
So @Aramsolari , are you comparing the great @Montoya to the legendary Jim Henson? If so, that is quite the honor & compliment in my book. After all, who doesn't love the Muppets, Master Yoda or Master Splinter?

Raven_King

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jan 17, 2021
RSI Handle
Raven_King
I love my Carrak, so I did my best to purchase a WB Oddy as well separately.
This. I am genuinely very fond of my Carrack, and with much of its gameplay use still to be added to the game (mainly exploration, but also away missions in a shuttlecraft, living/eating/drinking/relaxing in the crew quarters away from civilisation, repair, drones) and only some of its uses in game now (cargo hauling, medical/spawn point, heck, I even tried to do box missions on ArcCorp to begin with - that mostly went badly!), I am really happy to keep it.

But Montoya is obviously right. It’s natural business sense and human nature for new ships to be better than old ones, at least while they’re still new. Things may get rebalanced later to make an older ship a bit better or add a unique role so it feels fair again. Some of the reason for doing that could be to make more money - it’s not illegal. But some of the reason is that the devs are excited about new ships too, want them to be great, and may sometimes forget past statements made by someone else.

Neither past nor new statements of where any ship is supposed to fit in any particular hierarchy should be overinterpreted as being promises. They are just statements of intent at the time, always subject to change, as we are so often reminded. It’s silly to get upset about this particular announcement, in my opinion. Just provide level-headed feedback to CIG if you feel they forgot or misjudged something. That’s reasonable, and the mature way to handle a perceived mistake if you think they made one. I happen not to think so, but if you do, fine, just explain why you think there’s a problem, in a grown-up way. They’ve listened to plenty of feedback before. They can’t please everyone all the time but if enough people agree the Carrack shouldn’t be overshadowed by a “Carrack killer” Odyssey (which I think was just hyperbole and excitement), it’s quite straightforward for them to make sure it’s not.

Both ships look incredible fun. What a nice “problem” to have!

BTW, @Montoya, in your vid you said something to the effect of 80% of players are interested more in PvE. I certainly am, so that seems right to me. But is there any evidence? A poll, or thread asking people’s preferences for the final game? Or data on ship sales that shows a preference for obviously PvE-focused ships?

Last edited:

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I'm currently choosing to accept that CIG's statements that during this developmental process, everything is subject to change. Thus As @Montoya & others have pointed out, the Carrack was listed as "a top tier" exploration ship, but that doesn't exactly state that it is the absolute best in all ways. I suspect that there will be several "top tier" ships in most categories, but no definitive top ship in those categories because each will cover different aspects of their roles differently so each can be the best in some while weak in others. Which will then make the difference being which is best for each player's personal style mixed with the components they choose to use / equip with it that will make the difference for them, not overall. I believe that CIG will do their best to find a balance of ships in each category on each effective level to mostly neutralize having a singular meta ship, thus filling the Verse with plenty of variety to enjoy & TEST out.

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
No way am I melting my Carrack. It will have its advantages.

My hunch is that CIG will balance ship use not just with ship stats but in how the ship 'fits' in the universe. For example, if CIG intends to use different size jump points, then they can create important roles for small ships by not allowing large ships through those jump points. Do we know if the Carrack passes through mid-size jump points while the Odyssey does not? Watch for differentiators like that.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
No way am I melting my Carrack. It will have its advantages.

My hunch is that CIG will balance ship use not just with ship stats but in how the ship 'fits' in the universe. For example, if CIG intends to use different size jump points, then they can create important roles for small ships by not allowing large ships through those jump points. Do we know if the Carrack passes through mid-size jump points while the Odyssey does not? Watch for differentiators like that.
Exactly

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
But is there any evidence? A poll, or thread asking people’s preferences for the final game?

I did a few minutes of searching on the Googles, and can't find it so you'll just have to take my word and hopefully someone else can elaborate. There was a poll long ago when CIG first realized they had a lot more money than they anticipated coming in that asked people what the main focus of this persistent universe should be (or something along those lines). They took a vote and something like 80% of the votes were for "exploration".

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
My overall interpretation --> CR & company looked at the 2021 funding, and with an eye to all their studio expansions, saw they were behind last years funding...

...so that is in part why we have seen the Liberator, 400i and the Odyssey released, along with all the other ships we previously knew about --> they needed the funding.

It will be interesting to see what gets released next year at this time, if the funding is falling behind...likely an Odyssey killer, lol.

I'm not trying to be negative, just a realist. CR is running a business, they need funding, and they have previously mentioned they look at the ship sales and revenues when they plan things.

I'm perfectly happy with my Carrack...if I loved mining (which I don't) I would have purchased an Odyssey. Just to be on the safe-side, however, I did pick up a CCU with store credit ;^)

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
They'll wait to unveil the "Oddy killer" until a year or so after that's been released & has gotten itself a BIS nod. They'll probably release something major like the BMM, Polaris or some other major ship that is popular that isn't out yet with a boosted price instead.

Reactions: Vavrik
Forgot your password?