Exploration Cartographer

Adiran

Admiral
Mar 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Adiran
To begin with This is a side project of mine to gather and make maps of the SC universe. I tagged this with Exploration because that is what this is. A central place for explorers like myself to come and find what they are looking for or to add to the maps with what they have found. I intend to link all kinds of other maps but also make maps of my own in dotlan format. (example of dotlan map http://evemaps.dotlan.net/map) I will also be linking other maps I find that people have made.

Here is the SC map released to the public. https://robertsspaceindustries.com/starmap
This is the only known map of lore. Jump points are presumed to be permanent but there has not been anything stated as such to my knowledge.

Here is a text based map that Dagthomas is making. http://dagthomasolsen.com/starmap/#/starsystem/SOL

Here are the maps I have made of the known systems based only off of the SC map released to the public.
UEE Space
Xi'an Space
Vanduul Space
Banu Space
Test Space
(coming soon)

Other maps in my collection:
Population density UEE
This map is from what i understand 2 years old http://leeft.eu/starcitizen/

Last edited:

KingNerd

Admiral
Jul 14, 2015
RSI Handle
KingNerd
Here's a map I made this morning of the Odin system. I believe this is more in line with what would be held as physically printed records on board ships.

What do you think? It took me a couple hours to figure out how I wanted it to look, any suggestions let me know. I draw maps for a survey company professionally for a living :)

This is sized to be printed on a 18" x 24" roll of paper.

Attachments

Space Monkey

Vice Admiral
Donor
Feb 21, 2015
RSI Handle
FlyingSpaceMonkey
Small group and I have been working on collecting the data in Excel to make available to everyone in TEST. If you'd like to help, please let me know. We could use a hand as it is a lot of data.

Space Monkey

Vice Admiral
Donor
Feb 21, 2015
RSI Handle
FlyingSpaceMonkey
Here's a map I made this morning of the Odin system. I believe this is more in line with what would be held as physically printed records on board ships.

What do you think? It took me a couple hours to figure out how I wanted it to look, any suggestions let me know. I draw maps for a survey company professionally for a living :)

It looks great!

Adiran

Admiral
Mar 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Adiran

Ya I never wanted to make a map like that but hey power to ya. If you make more like that link them here so I can get them added to my list of maps for this page.

Reactions: KingNerd

KingNerd

Admiral
Jul 14, 2015
RSI Handle
KingNerd
Ya I never wanted to make a map like that but hey power to ya. If you make more like that link them here so I can get them added to my list of maps for this page.
Will do, I kind of wanted to make one for myself so I could hang it on the wall to look cool but if other people like how they look I can make more :) Whatever I make I'll link for you!

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark

I love the aesthetic to that. Looks like something that would be tacked to the wall of an older exploration firm, maybe hidden back in the manager's office. Nice work!

KingNerd

Admiral
Jul 14, 2015
RSI Handle
KingNerd
I love the aesthetic to that. Looks like something that would be tacked to the wall of an older exploration firm, maybe hidden back in the manager's office. Nice work!
Yeah I was going for something realistic that would be useful, trying to figure out what all needs to be on the map for it to be of the most use mainly. Paper isn't very interactive ;)

I currently have the layout of the core system, a detail of the whole system, a detail of the connections and accurate symbols for different types of objects. I added an "important economic features" and "no fly/danger zones" and "habitable celestial bodies" list. I feel like I could put more info but I'm not sure what else to put. The only thing coming to mind would be to add in the detail for jump points if the destinations were UEE, Unclaimed, ETC. If you were making an escape it would help to know if you were jumping into Vanduul occupied space lol

Adiran

Admiral
Mar 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Adiran
This is essentially a pretty version of what I did. lol This guy obviously has more than just paint to make these with. :P Good map though it is lacking a key telling you how to read it.

Adiran

Admiral
Mar 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Adiran
Composite screen shots with photo shop color added. nicely done. Not the easiest to read tho. Have to zoom in to see things and some systems are in the wrong colored area. (i.e. Charon is in Banu space when its a UEE system)

A great thing to look at but to use for quick information I think its got to much going on. once I get home ill link both of these to the main post. at work right now.

vindslav

Vice Admiral
Mar 28, 2015
RSI Handle
vindslav
I do wonder if all the people making these maps realise that the ARK map is not yet complete, hell the entirety of Xi'an space is not known, the Kr'Thrak is not even acknoledged on the map, nor the extension of the Banu Protectorate to border Vanduul space (the Banu being on fairly good terms with the Vanduul, even having trade relations with some Banu states).

Reactions: KingNerd

KingNerd

Admiral
Jul 14, 2015
RSI Handle
KingNerd
I do wonder if all the people making these maps realise that the ARK map is not yet complete, hell the entirety of Xi'an space is not known, the Kr'Thrak is not even acknoledged on the map, nor the extension of the Banu Protectorate to border Vanduul space (the Banu being on fairly good terms with the Vanduul, even having trade relations with some Banu states).
I'm fully aware of this and that's why I'm making my maps without a lot of information. I plan on going back and making changes so right now I'm building an overall library of CAD drawings that can be edited easily in the future :) But I'm also not taking a lot of suggestions as to what should be added to my maps because everybody keeps saying the same things and they all will be the things most likely (or almost definitely) to change. I'd rather have a map with no measurements than a map with completely insanely utterly wrong measurements.

Forgot your password?